Another 'S' day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dandelion

Another 'S' day?

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:59 pm

Today is a Snow Day where I live. I haven't decided if it's an 'S' Day or not. No, I"m not looking for an excuse to eat junk, just being realistic. This is only the second one since I've lived here and with a kid in the house I'm thinking snow man making, cookie baking, hot chocolate kinda day... So..it might be an S day. Haven't decided yet.

Either way, I intend to enjoy it!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:11 pm

These don't happen often, so I think you should enjoy it! But you maybe just keep a limit on snow day s days? Mmm... Now I really want hot chocolate lol!

Hope you have fun. That sounds like a good day right there

NoelFigart

Re: Another 'S' day?

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Dandelion wrote:Today is a Snow Day where I live. I haven't decided if it's an 'S' Day or not. No, I"m not looking for an excuse to eat junk, just being realistic.
LOL. When I was small, Mom always baked cookies on snow days. I also grew up in Virginia, so if we had three or four days off from school in the wintertime, it was a pretty harsh winter.

I live in New Hampshire now. While I still get the urge to bake cookies on snow days, I would find them somewhat unrealistic S-days, even if we were counting them as "Days off school". Were I still living in VA, snow days might still be S-days.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 pm

We've lived here nearly five years and this is the second time. I'm calling it whether I use it or not is yet to be seen :)

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Where do you live that you have snow already? I'm in Canada and there's no sign of snow here yet, thank goodness!

Enjoy your snow day!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 pm

I live in the deep South. We only get snow every few years - and everything closes because there's simply no infrastructure (plows, salt, etc.) to deal with snow. Northerners laugh until they realize that most of the roads end up covered in ice rather than snow, powerlines are a hazard because of breaking tree branches, and NO ONE knows how to drive in the stuff, all of which means it's really dangerous to be on the roads.

At any rate, on the rare occasions when we DO get snow, it's like a holiday!! The kids love being out of school. Alas, the power usually goes off - when trees don't get snow regularly, they break under the load and take down the lines - so cookies aren't usually an option. Thank goodness for camp stoves (set up outdoors for ventilation) which make hot chocolate possible.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

The first Snow Day! A special once a year (or less!!) happening!! Of course it is special.. especially if you have little kids around and YOU should enjoy it too! Hot chocolate..making cookies...popcorn..
In our home, we built the first fire of the year in the livingroom fireplace (the wood burner was usually already in use!), put a tablecloth on the floor and roasted hot dogs over the fire and finished off the evening with som'ores and roasted apples (sprinkled w/a little cinnamon sugar! ) YUM!! The kids are grown and gone but every year my husband and I recall those yearly events while we enjoy a glass of wine (and a fire!) watching the first snow fall.... our new tradition! It will still be an S day for me!! I just hope it doesn't happen for another month or so!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 pm

What a lovely story Grammy!

I made cookies and the kid made snow angels :). I wanted to go for a walk, but the wind has picked up now, and the snow is horizontal now. Not the big soft flakes we had before.

I'm betting tomorrow is another snow day.

I'd upload a photo if I knew how :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:24 pm

I know what you mean about snow/ice in the deep south. One year in southern Louisiana we had a terrific ice storm, everything was thoroughly coated. It was lovely but terrifying. Now we're Minnesotans and snow and ice are just par for the course.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")