Clara Quotes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Clara Quotes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:23 pm

I enjoyed these from the book:
If you don't think you have time to exercise, just clean your kitchen. I think it's kind of silly -- the people jogging. Scrubbing my floors and counters makes everything strong and my kitchen looks good.
When I read that I wondered if she scrubbed the floor on her hands and knees like my mom and aunt did -- then I found the next one:
I like the old ways, and I always did. Even back then I didn't like change too much. I like scrubbing the floor clean on my hands and knees with a hard-bristled brush. It doesn't get clean any other way.
Walk to the grocery store. Because if you don't have a large car trunk to store things, you'll be forced to buy only what you can comfortably carry, which is most likely all you need.
Clara has never learned to drive. Neither did my aunt.
Always use the stairs. People tell me that I shouldn't be going up and down my stairs at my age, but I need them -- they keep me limber. So what if we wear out our shoes if we keep ourselves fit?
Clara seems to be sprightly for a 90-something and I think a large part of it may be because she's kept to the old ways.

I was reading a review of Clara's book at Amazon and I realized that Clara is a poster-woman for what Michael Pollan teaches:
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants," plus his suggestions at the end of Unhappy Meals and Six Rules for Eating Wisely
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I second walking to the grocery store. My husband and I stroll down there (about 3 miles total) a couple nights a week. It's a pleasant way to get some exercise, and since we only bring two cloth bags, we never buy more than what we need (or will use up in a few days' time).

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:20 am

I'm going to have to get this. I just love Clara! She is full of wisdom and common sense. Often, I find it hard to eat according to "tradition" because we didn't have any when I was growing up, none passed down from mom...

We have a reasonably priced grocery store within walking distance. Now that the weather is tolerable I'm thinking about walking there when I just need a few things.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:14 pm

I bought one of those Grandma-style grocery carts at Amazon and use it for all my grocery shopping. I get steps, don't have to fight with traffic, don't use gas, don't pollute, get fresh air and sunshine; it's great, and I look forward to my trips each week. I was wondering if the wheels would hold up against Minnesota snow and ice, but so far they are doing great. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:04 pm

becauseIcan wrote:Often, I find it hard to eat according to "tradition" because we didn't have any when I was growing up, none passed down from mom...
Neither did I. However, there was a comment on one of the blogs at the New York Times (Well or Bitten) about picking a food tradition -- either of your cultural heritage or one you like or even of the area in which you live. Learn about it and base your meals on it.

I'm in the midwest and of German background but I really enjoy Italian food, especially Southern Italian food. Southern Italian food is known as la cucina povera and there's quite a bit written about it on the internet and in books. Most cuisines are based on the foods of poverty.

I've learned a lot by reading about the various traditional cuisines. One is that they rarely (if ever) cook outside their own cuisine. Another is that milk is rarely a beverage, except when mixed with coffee or tea. It's most often an ingredient in cooking.

One thing about sticking to a minimal number of cuisines -- it's frugal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Howdy,
Thanks for the posts. I deeply respect Clara. I will get her book for Christmas.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:33 am

The first quote reminded me of my father-in-law. He never understood why people went to the gym or joined walking clubs. He said they can get their exercise by mowing/raking the lawn AND get stuff done at the same time. He's in good physical shape and he has a very nice lawn. :D

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:30 pm

This is a great thread! Thanks for all those quotes, Wosnes. I definitely need to get the book.

As far as grocery carts go, I found one in a Hammacher-Schlemmer catalogue. It's ridiculously expensive ($69.95) but it's made for modern grocery bags. You hang the plastic bags on hooks.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/77651?promo=search
~ Laura ~

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 pm

"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Those pull along grocery carts are everywhere in Florida..not only at the stores but at the flea markets!(The flea market is where to buy them too.) People carry their pets in them as well as their treasures. I wish I knew a source of the cheaper ones to share. We keep one in the car in Florida and use it for many things besides hauling groceries. Teachers...it is a great way to carry all the things you lug from car to school every day..sure saves your back! i use it to collect the dropped fruit that is no good so I can easily get it from the trees to the trash can....and I also use it to deliver good grapefruit and tangerines to neighbors. I don't keep one up north because we have no sidewalks so I shop using a back pack instead. I am one of those snow birds who leave the north as soon as the snow arrives!
I think Clara would approve of this item, don't you? :lol:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 am

Grammy G wrote:I think Clara would approve of this item, don't you? :lol:
She probably has used one -- or a wagon.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I like the picture in my mind of Clara w/ wagon! Maybe that is what we need .. more wagons! When was the last time you saw someone..any age..pulling a wagon? My neighbor, in his 80s, told me that when he was a boy his mom made sausage on a regular basis and sent "the boys" around the neighborhood with long sausages stacked in their wagon to sell. They weren't to come home until the wagon was empty. Maybe he knew Clara!! :lol:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim