Newbie with a sore knee

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

stoogeswoman

Newbie with a sore knee

Post by stoogeswoman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 pm

:cry: Hi everyone - I'm a newbie!

My name is Christine aka "stoogeswoman". I live in Southern California and I just recently discovered Shovelglove, Urban Ranger and the No S Diet.

I love them! All these ideas just seem like common sense, don't they? Yet when it comes to diet and exercise, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of common sense out there! I'm a sometimes-Weight Watchers member and their program is pretty good as far as nutritional info goes. But yours seems pretty straightforward too - and a lot cheaper! ;-)

I work in downtown L.A. and I guess you could say I'm already doing the Urban Ranger thing: last year I rearranged my morning schedule so I could get off the subway one stop earlier and walk from there to my office. It takes about 20-30 minutes, has a lot of variables (like taking different streets, walking through different buildings, etc.), and it's something I really look forward to now!

Unfortunately, this morning I had a snag. I was about to leave the house when OWWW!! :shock: some renegade piece of cartilage tore off and lodged itself in my kneecap area! I've had it propped up on a pillow, and also popped some ibuprofen. That helps, but basically I can't bend my left leg back more than an inch or so without experiencing pain.

Which means no walking today. Argh! I was able to go outside a little while ago and do some upper body stuff, which made me feel a little less stir-crazy. But I still want to WALK dagnab it! :x

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this site, because reading all these threads and blogs takes my mind off my situation, temporarily anyway! Thanks! :D

Kevin

Re: Newbie with a sore knee

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:50 pm

You're going to the doctor for this, right?
stoogeswoman wrote::cry: Hi everyone - I'm a newbie!

My name is Christine aka "stoogeswoman". I live in Southern California and I just recently discovered Shovelglove, Urban Ranger and the No S Diet.

I love them! All these ideas just seem like common sense, don't they? Yet when it comes to diet and exercise, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of common sense out there! I'm a sometimes-Weight Watchers member and their program is pretty good as far as nutritional info goes. But yours seems pretty straightforward too - and a lot cheaper! ;-)

I work in downtown L.A. and I guess you could say I'm already doing the Urban Ranger thing: last year I rearranged my morning schedule so I could get off the subway one stop earlier and walk from there to my office. It takes about 20-30 minutes, has a lot of variables (like taking different streets, walking through different buildings, etc.), and it's something I really look forward to now!

Unfortunately, this morning I had a snag. I was about to leave the house when OWWW!! :shock: some renegade piece of cartilage tore off and lodged itself in my kneecap area! I've had it propped up on a pillow, and also popped some ibuprofen. That helps, but basically I can't bend my left leg back more than an inch or so without experiencing pain.

Which means no walking today. Argh! I was able to go outside a little while ago and do some upper body stuff, which made me feel a little less stir-crazy. But I still want to WALK dagnab it! :x

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this site, because reading all these threads and blogs takes my mind off my situation, temporarily anyway! Thanks! :D
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:01 am

You have come to the right place for support..diet and otherwise!
I'm going to ask about the "Otherwise"..your knee. Please say you've been to a doctor! This sounds like it could be very serious and need some more attention. Remember, this is a grandmother giving advice..never take a grandmother's concerns lightly!! :roll: You don't want to spend the rest of your life with a knee problem! That said, good luck with noS.. everyone here is on your side! :)
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Not to worry, I've had this problem before - started when I was in college (wayyyy back in the 70's*), and yes I have seen a doctor about it - not every time it happens, though. See, it's a recurring, lifelong, chronic knee ailment, primarily caused by osteoarthritis.

Which is why I love to walk for my exercise - it's really the best way to deal with arthritis. I'm back at work today, btw. Knee still hurts but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Thanks for all the concern, though!

(*I spent an entire semester living in the hospital dormitory, as my knee was in a splint and I couldn't walk up and down the stairs. It was wonderful - I didn't have to have a roommate and I had my own bathroom! Sweet!)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Whew! OK.. i will quit doing grandmom worriy about you!
My husband had some cartilage floating around in his knee too(an old ski injury)... his leg would lock and he would be in pain. He finally had some minor surgery for it.. the "floaters" were removed and, with a bit of therapy, he was fine for many, many years.
Good luck!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah, at some point I probably will wind up having to have surgery for it. Would like to put that off as long as possible, though.

LOL and "aww" to the grandmom worries! I don't have my grandmoms around anymore so it's nice to know someone's out there doing their jobs!

BTW, I could've sworn I'd started this thread over in Urban Rangers. Did I mess up :oops: ? Or did it get moved ? :?: No biggie, just wondering if I need more caffeine in my brain!