Holiday meal planning ideas wanted...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Holiday meal planning ideas wanted...

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Until the past few years, we've done the big extended family Christmas dinner late on Christmas day. Then we decided that it was too hectic, and we'd do it the day after... a VERY good decision for everyone!

But I realized I don't have any ideas for cooking on Christmas Eve/Day. I don't want to replicate the big dinner, and don't want something really heavy in that it's coming up... but I still want something a little bit special.

I know other families have "traditional meals" for Christmas Eve, etc. We never have, but I like the idea.

So... something festive but simple and reasonably healthy/light. (Mind immediately goes blank.)

Ideas?

My initial thinking is some sort of casserole or crock-pot meal. Most of our meals fall into the "fix it fast" category, because I'm not at home to put something in the oven for an hour before a meal. Or maybe something slightly more expensive than normal... But I don't have any real thoughts beyond that.

LadyCheshire

Post by LadyCheshire » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:59 pm

When I was growing up, tradition was that Christmas Eve dinner was meatless. To my parents, this usually meant a "special" macaroni and cheese recipe containing four different types of cheese that was only made on Christmas Eve. But just about any vegetarian or seafood-based dish would fit. I know a lot of vegetarians make stuffed peppers or stuffed mushroom caps for festive occasions.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:13 pm

For Christmas Eve, my parents did Oyster Stew. My in-laws most often had lasagna. I make a shrimp bisque.

In terms of the complexity of it, I much prefer Christmas dinner to Thanksgiving. We have scalloped potatoes with ham (the ham is mixed in with the potatoes), broccoli and carrots. We typically don't have a dessert other than Christmas cookies.

I've tried to change this over the years and have met with MUCH resistance from my family. I've wanted to do a prime rib or a filet of beef -- something a little more festive -- but no one wants to change. I think I might do the beef for my birthday!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marleah

Post by marleah » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

For Thanksgiving the past couple of years, we've had stuffed acorn squash - you can stuff them with either quinoa or rice, chopped bell pepper, raisins, celery, seasonings. They are pretty easy to make, and they are something "special" - something you don't have every day.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:51 pm

LadyCheshire wrote:When I was growing up, tradition was that Christmas Eve dinner was meatless. To my parents, this usually meant a "special" macaroni and cheese recipe containing four different types of cheese that was only made on Christmas Eve. But just about any vegetarian or seafood-based dish would fit. I know a lot of vegetarians make stuffed peppers or stuffed mushroom caps for festive occasions.
I just saw this recipe and thought it looked good for a meatless main dish.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:23 pm

On Christmas Eve I put together a French Toast Strata that sits in the refrigerator overnight. On Christmas morning, we have coffee and open gifts while the strata is baking in the oven. By the time it's finished, so are we and then we enjoy it. On Father's Day I make another breakfast casserole using bread, eggs, sausage and cheese that also must sit overnight. This might be another option.
Later we make sandwiches of sprial ham and various cheeses on a platter. I usually have some salads and nice breads. The traditional dessert is a heavy applesauce cake made about 1-2 weeks prior and sitting in the refrigerator. Hmmm. Seems like many of our dishes *sit* in the refrigerator prior to eating!
I can provide recipes if anyone's interested.
That's our tradition KCCC!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

vmsurbat

What we do....

Post by vmsurbat » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:57 pm

In a span of 3 weeks, we celebrate (as a family or as invited guests on Patron Saint days) 2 Birthdays, Christmas (Dec. 25--kids home from college), New Year's Eve, New Year's Day (these two days are the BIG holidays here in Montenegro), Orthodox Christmas (Jan. 7--the norm here), plus a couple of Patron Saint days. For the sake of our health, we've come up with a few meal traditions so that not every holiday is a heavy holiday meal.

Because the birthdays come right before Christmas, a fancy Christmas meal is a bit anti-climatic Thus, we've made Christmas be a low-key day, meal-wise. Usually I make "lighter" cinnamon rolls (ie., not drowning in butter and brown sugar) served with fruit salad, coffee, and milk for breakfast. Then for our big meal of the day, we have a "Make Your Own Pizza" bash. I make the dough and many of the toppings (grate cheese, etc) ahead of time. Then, in mid-afternoon, everyone gets to make their pizza of choice from the toppings. This works great because the meat 'n cheese lovers can pile it on; those of us who prefer a lighter touch can go lighter on the cheese and heavy on the veggies. I usually have "unusual" toppings (in the sense that we only get them for our Christmas Pizza Bash) like artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, three kinds of cheese (instead of just one kind), fresh mushrooms, special sauce, etc. This has been a lot of fun over the years.. Most of us can't eat ALL our pizza mid-day, so the leftovers are enjoyed later in the evening along with a tray of homemade Christmas cookies.

So there is another idea for you!

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:49 am

I have learned I don't need to do it all myself and now use local sources for holiday dinners. I once ordered a stuffed suckling pig from a local butcher..When I picked it up (cooked) it was on a huge platter that we had to put on the back seat of the car and my "co-pilot" had to sit on the floor in the back and hold the platter level. The meal was delicious but a mess to serve and clean up! I 've had a stuffed goose cooked at a locally owned grocery store.. A favorite lasagna from a local eatery... BBQ pork and chicken (this is everyone's favorite) that I have the BBQ shop refrigerate for me so I can just bring it home and keep it in my frig a day or two. Cornish hens make a beautiful presentation but, once again, a mess to clean up and, I feel, very wasteful. I'd vote for BBQ, if that's an option to pick up. Simple baked potatoes,white and sweet, and corn bread, a layered salad with many veggies and topped with a creamy dressing (recipe maybe called 7 layered salad) that you can make the day before...pie ..yum!! We were surprised this year that the little kids enjoyed eating the ribs off the bone. We always gave them chicken assuming they wouldn't like pork. This meal doesn't seem to repeat any of the traditional things my family serves so everyone appreciated the change of flavor. Make the event easy for you so you get to really enjoy the day too! :D
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 pm

We've started having fondu every Christmas eve. It stays light, casual, and we all sit and talk for a long time, because it takes a long time. You could pre-cook the meats if you want. We all love it! :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

noni

Post by noni » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Christmas at our house resembles Thanksgiving, altho' the sides differ.

But for birthday parties, I like to go with barbeque pork or beef on torpedo rolls. I make it a couple days ahead and refridge. You can make it in a crockpot or stovetop.

For Christmas sides, I would sometimes use a recipe called "Christmas Cauliflower." It's a casserole of cauli, broccoli and strips of pimientos if you like the Christmas look (or the Italian flag!). It is baked in a swiss cheesy white sauce.

I make a bowl of homemade cranberry sauce or a red jello type thingy for the festive look. Also a salad (Ceasar or spinach).

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:06 pm

These are really helpful ideas! Thanks... and keep them coming! :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 am

Thanksgiving is The Big Production in our house. Christmas is a little lower key, if only because we will go to Mass and open gifts in addition to eating.

Christmas dinner this year:

Roast Beef with gravy
Phyllo Rolls with cream cheese/chevre cheese
Mashed Potatoes
Asparagus Amandine
Dessert

That's enough!

New Year's Day is always Hoppin' John and spinach.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:28 am

Soup and bread (you could use the artisan bread recipe)
Grill out. It will take a little longer but it will be fun.
Enchiladas.
Do breakfast for dinner. For the actual breakfast, make crockpot oatmeal and let people "decorate". Have fresh squeezed OJ or good grapefruit.
This Christmas, we are doing a fire pit. I'm already committed to the prime rib, but if I weren't, I'd do hotdogs over the fire with a crockpot of beans or maybe chili.