Resolutions, congratulations Nichole, & welcomes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Resolutions, congratulations Nichole, & welcomes

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:01 pm

We'll soon be starting a new year, and it being 2010 (nice round number) is the perfect time to start out with a clean slate. People make strong, bold, couragous resolutions every year and many forget them around week 2... if they make it that far. Some people think that making new year's resolutions isn't a good idea for various reasons, but I think it's a time for renewal. A fresh start! So...

For those of us interested, declare your resolution in big bold letters for quick viewing. Write your plan if you want here too, and we'll bump up the thread occasionally as a reminder and motivation.
Last edited by ~reneew on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:07 am, edited 12 times in total.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:02 pm

In 2008 I realized that my usual "loose it all" goal that I have declared since high school, was getting too monotonous and depressing to repeat, so I finally will meet my last year's resolution goal of weighing less at the end of 2009 than I did on day 1. I'm finally going to succeed! So, without wishing the world, here's what I plan to do in 2010...( I may edit before the December 31st.)

After much thought I've decided to switch from thinking about the actual number to thinking about the real problem.
My New Year's resolution is to break my food addiction. Of course I want to loose weight, but I need to break that pull from the pantry and then the weight will follow. I'm wanting to heal from the inside.

My plan?
-to think "resist the temptation", strengthen my "no" muscle, and to avoid even the thought of food.
-3 dishes of food. Period.
-heart and soul exercises (physical and spiritual) a minimum of 3 days a week . I aim for 5 minimum, but I want to be realistic here.
Last edited by ~reneew on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Please pray for me

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:11 pm

My New Year's resolution is to follow this diet with the one mod that seems to work with me and to not have any other mods no matter what weight I end up having.
Kathleen

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I never do these kinds of resolutions, but this next year

I'll try Wosnes approach to No S

I'll get back to you in a few months. :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't make New Year's Resolutions!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 am

The only New Year's resolution I'll make is to continue on No S. That's not really a resolution, is it?
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

For 2010, I just want 12 perfect No-S months, with an emphasis on healthy foods.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:07 pm

My New Year's resolution is going to be to save a certain amount of money each week (I haven't decided on the amount yet). I need to make saving systematic instead of haphazard, which is the way I currently approach it.

I think this is the first time I've ever made a New Year's resolution that did not involve diet or exercise.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm good weight-wise and food/exercise wise :) But what I would really like to do is to get our laundry away quickly! My husband does the laundry, then I let it sit in the basket/hanging for days and days before I put it away.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:54 pm

My resolutions are:

- sticking to No S
- going to bed at 10 pm every day
- writing down everything I buy / spend money on

aoc

Post by aoc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm

In 2010 I want to:

* Really really commit to doing No S instead of just thinking about it.
* Turn off the TV at 11p each night so I can go to bed earler.
* Practice my guitar almost every day. I want to resume my lessons after I learn how to play an F chord.
* Do some kind of movement almost everyday like walking. I want to join my city's Hiking/Walking club in the Spring.
* Go on a Church tour - go to different churches in my area each Sunday until I find one I like.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm

aoc wrote:In 2010 I want to:

* Really really commit to doing No S instead of just thinking about it.
* Turn off the TV at 11p each night so I can go to bed earler.
* Practice my guitar almost every day. I want to resume my lessons after I learn how to play an F chord.
* Do some kind of movement almost everyday like walking. I want to join my city's Hiking/Walking club in the Spring.
* Go on a Church tour - go to different churches in my area each Sunday until I find one I like.
On the Church tour... have you seen beliefnet.com? They have an online quiz that matches your beliefs to different religions/denominations... I ended up checking out one that I never knew anything about before, and really liked it. (Still did a church tour ourselves, but an abbreviated one with different choices than we might have had.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Like wosnes, I don't do New Year's Resolutions... but instead, I do "Habits of the month." (Which pre-date my finding this board.) If there's an over-arching resolution, it would just be to be more intentional about the habits I select to work on.

And I can't resist telling this story... my husband and I have hosted a New Year's Day brunch/party for years. It's become quite family-oriented as time has gone on, and now the kids enjoy it too.

When my son was about 5, at the end of the our party, he asked me "Mom, have you ever heard of a New Year's Revolution?" (I totally loved that little slip!) He then went on to inform me that he had a great "revolution" for our family... "Have more parties!"

That has to be my favorite resolution of all time. :) I think we should all "have more parties" in whatever forms those take.

aoc

Post by aoc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 am

KCCC wrote: On the Church tour... have you seen beliefnet.com? They have an online quiz that matches your beliefs to different religions/denominations... I ended up checking out one that I never knew anything about before, and really liked it. (Still did a church tour ourselves, but an abbreviated one with different choices than we might have had.)

Thanks, KCCC, I will check it out. There are quite a few churches in my neighborhood and every time I pass one by I think, "I should go to a service." So, that's what I want to do in 2010.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm

I would like to try a modification of No S, prehaps I'll give wosnes's mod a go.

Last year I resolved to read thru the Bible in a year. I'll attempt to do the same this year only I want to break up the readings between morning and night so I don't rush thru it :?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 pm

noni wrote:Last year I resolved to read thru the Bible in a year. I'll attempt to do the same this year only I want to break up the readings between morning and night so I don't rush thru it :?
I tried that one time and I had planned to do it in 2 years, and actually read it in 5 years. So last year I wanted to do it in 1 year. I was going good at it until mid summer. I keep trying to catch up, but I can't. I may finish the old testament though this year, then the new testament will be a breeze for next year. The key is to get into the habit and have a plan. There are a ton of plans out there. I followed the "back to the Bible" one because they sent me a free calendar to do it in a year. :wink: Anyway, good luck noni!
Please pray for me

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm resolving to have more fun in 2010!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:31 am

There are several goals I really want to work on for 2010.

My most important one is to make time for God every day. Even if that means reading my Bible in the morning, and maybe praying in the car while taking my son to his therapy. I've got to get back to my time with God, though.

I also want to get back to practicing my clarinet at least 5 X a week. I've been so busy with all of my son's appointments, that I'm usually too tired to practice, and I put it off. I always feel so much better and more accomplished when I do practice, though, so I've got to make that a priority again.

My third one is to get back to my pre-preggo weight. I was 5 pounds away from it before the holidays started, so once the new year begins, I want to FINALLY reach that goal.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Nichole wrote:I'm good weight-wise and food/exercise wise :) But what I would really like to do is to get our laundry away quickly! My husband does the laundry, then I let it sit in the basket/hanging for days and days before I put it away.
Small loads. That's the key. It may not be the "greenest" solution, but I find if I do a small load every day or every other day, it's very easy to get it all put away immediately. :wink:
~ Laura ~

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Maintain my HabitCal (the good, the bad, and the ugly)

Be a more active participant in this forum (you guys are the greatest!)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 pm

I want to have a baby in 2010, can that be my resolution, too? January will be my 3rd month trying, ugh.

My husband does the laundry, so I don't really determine what he does all at one time, but I guess I could break it up over a couple of days. Fold one day, put away the next, then put away the hanging laundry lol. I'm just so bad and sometimes it sits for a week! Also, my husband keeps his hanging stuff organized by type of shirt - so I dread putting his crap away. He organizes by tee-shirt, long-sleeved tee-shirt, polo-shirts, hoodies...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Nichole wrote: I guess I could break it up over a couple of days. Fold one day, put away the next, then put away the hanging laundry lol. I'm just so bad and sometimes it sits for a week!
Oh, that sounds like so much work! I find a load a day is easy to manage -- and just get it all done at once. When I was working I used to throw a load in the washer before I went to work. It went in the dryer after dinner and was folded/put away before bed. It worked.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Agreed on the laundry... do it all and be done. Time it sometime - it will shock you how little time it actually takes if you just do it! (This is learned from hard experience; I have learned that I can spend more time in dread than on the actual task.)

One more thought that might help... there is a place I put my hubby's "done" laundry, and a place he puts mine. Each of us is responsible for actually putting our own stuff in the closet/drawers from there. So, if one of us wants to color-code, the other one doesn't have to learn the system. ;)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Yeah I think I'll try to get it done all at once.

I wish my other goal (to have a baby) was just as easy.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:30 pm

KCCC wrote:Agreed on the laundry... do it all and be done. Time it sometime - it will shock you how little time it actually takes if you just do it! (This is learned from hard experience; I have learned that I can spend more time in dread than on the actual task.)

One more thought that might help... there is a place I put my hubby's "done" laundry, and a place he puts mine. Each of us is responsible for actually putting our own stuff in the closet/drawers from there. So, if one of us wants to color-code, the other one doesn't have to learn the system. ;)
Folding/putting away laundry used to be one of those things I never finished -- along with emptying the dishwasher. Until I realized either could be done during one commercial break if I was watching TV. One friend and I have "the commercial method" of getting things done. It's amazing how much can be accomplished during commercials.

Another friend and I accomplish bigger things by working in 15 minute increments -- then rest for 30-45 minutes.

Because of my health issues, I have trouble with extreme fatigue if I try to work for long periods of time. Nearly everything I do is now done during commercials or in 15-minute intervals. It works!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:01 am

Wosnes, I need to get back to the 15 minute method. When I was doing housework 15 minutes a day almost every day, I got so much more done, and it was way less stressful.
Nichole. In terms of having the baby, hang in there.(: I hope it happens for you really soon.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:02 am

Resolution of the year is making goal weight by May- a Mother's Day present to myself.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Dear Nichole,

White rice (lots of it) and cold showers (both of you).

It worked for us.

Love and best wishes,

Jammin' Jan

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Like KCCC and others, I don't do New Year's Resolutions, but I have one goal for 2010 that was brought to my attention during my 3 month injury hiatus. My goal is to be more aware of and more appreciative of the small blessings in my life - the little things I take for granted without thinking.

I also have two habits I would like to continue to work on:

Continue on with NoS in spite of everyday life that can get in the way!

Build up to some sort of daily aerobic exercise...right now weight bearing activity for sustained periods of time is not an option, but it will come!

I hope everyone has a blessed holiday with time to spend with the people they love doing the things that matter most.

And Nicole, don't stress - your baby will happen, and what a blessing it will be!

Love,
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks everybody! It's a little early yet, but I had a positive test last night :) and it was digital, so there is no ambiguity. I just hope the baby is healthy and stays put...

Mimi, I hope you continue to have a good recovery!!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Wooohoooo! Congratulations Nichole!!!!!!
Please pray for me

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Congratulations Nichole!!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 pm

Nichole wrote:Thanks everybody! It's a little early yet, but I had a positive test last night :) and it was digital, so there is no ambiguity. I just hope the baby is healthy and stays put...

Mimi, I hope you continue to have a good recovery!!
Congratulations Nicole!

That's such wonderful news - enjoy this time carrying and preparing for your new baby...what a blessing!
Thank you for your continued good wishes!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Congratulations, Nichole! What a wonderful way to head into the new year.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks everybody! :) We have only told our parents and one of my sisters so far... Waiting until three months (March) to really announce it :) So I guess my new resolution is to continue to eat healthy, get light exercise 3-4 times a week like usual, and get the laundry put away.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:47 pm

Congratulations, Nichole! Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:16 am

Aha! I came up with a resolution. I have CHF and several medications to take daily -- some twice a day. Without fail, I remember to take part of the meds in the morning, but not the others. So my resolution is to take my meds as ordered.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 pm

wosnes...that sounds like a real healthy resolution :wink:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:44 pm

noni wrote:wosnes...that sounds like a real healthy resolution :wink:
The heck of it is, I'm an R.N. and I know better!! Having said that, a group of nurses that I used to work with talked about how we always encouraged our patients to be compliant with their treatment/medication regimens. Most of us, however, were not. It wasn't anything but forgetfulness or getting distracted -- not that we thought we "knew" better or anything else.

The funny thing is I have a routine for taking the meds. At night, no problem. During the day I do the first half of the routine and forget the last half. I have no idea why! Speaking of which...I just did the first half and not the last. :oops: 'scuse me....got to go do part two!

Oh, Congratulations Nicole. I blew right past your news when I posted last night.

mstevens

Lose weight

Post by mstevens » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:59 pm

My resolution was to lose weight and get in shape.

I'm still deciding how to go about both goals. Thinking I might come back to No S, or try Weight Watchers or Slimming World or something.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:04 am

Nichole wrote:Thanks everybody! :) We have only told our parents and one of my sisters so far... Waiting until three months (March) to really announce it :) So I guess my new resolution is to continue to eat healthy, get light exercise 3-4 times a week like usual, and get the laundry put away.
Oh, yea...if you think the laundry is an issue now....just wait! LOL!!

I think one of the best pieces of advice I got when I was pregnant was from my doctor -- he told me to keep doing what I'd been doing and if it was a problem, 1) I'd know it, and 2) then it was time to stop. At the time I was working in post anesthesia recovery lifting and pushing patients back to their rooms and helping to lift them back to bed. Towards the end, the belly started to get in the way, but I never felt I couldn't do what I'd been doing. Oh, I wasn't supposed to take very hot baths, horseback ride or water ski. The hot baths were a bit of a problem for me, but the other two were no problem.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:36 am

Congratulations Nicole! :D :D :D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

boogbite

New year, new me!

Post by boogbite » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm starting the No S diet today. My new year's resolution is to begin my married life as a healthy individual with good habits. i have 6 months to get under my belt before the big day, so my weight loss goal is to lose 30 pounds before June 26th. but it's bigger than that as i'm looking for a lifetime plan.

I've been a weight watcher, a jenny craiger, but i love the simplicity of NoS and look forward to making the changes. nice to meet everyone!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 am

Welcome Boogbite (love your name!) and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 am

boogbite... I love your little picture! And congratulations and welcome. Gosh, I should rename this "congratulations and welcome". Maybe I will. It's funny how these threads kind of take a turn and stuff comes out. Great group we have here! :wink:
Please pray for me

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Nice re-title, ~reneew!

Nichole, how wonderful! I'm so happy for you.

Pregnancy is a different experience for different people, and there's a wide range. For me, it was an absolutely marvelous time, in the full sense of the word - full of marvel/wonder at all the changes as my son took form. I remember that period of my life as tremendously joyful, and wish the same for you.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I also don't do New Year's Resolutions,
but will chime in here to congratulate you, Nichole.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm

KCCC wrote:
Pregnancy is a different experience for different people, and there's a wide range. For me, it was an absolutely marvelous time, in the full sense of the word - full of marvel/wonder at all the changes as my son took form. I remember that period of my life as tremendously joyful, and wish the same for you.
I've been pregnant twice. My first one I could understand why people had 18 kids. My second I understood why some women say "no more!" after one.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 am

Congratulations, Nichole! Got your big resolution done before the year even started. Very impressive!

I'm more into monthly resolutions than yearly, so I'm probably going to try to break this down into smaller chunks, but the big issue I've been wrestling with recently is stress.

Reinhard

boogbite

thanks

Post by boogbite » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 am

thanks Jammin Jan and ~reneew for the welcomes! :) it's good to be here and i look forward to getting to know some of you.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 am

Congratulations Nichole!

MY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION IS TO KEEP AT NO S AND TO URBAN RANGE MORE. I ALSO RESOLVE TO INCREASE MY STEP COUNT ON MY PEDOMETER BY 500 STEPS EACH WEEK.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

I've been away for 5 days (went to D.C.)... thanks all! Can't wait for my first appointment in a week.

Good luck everybody with your resolutions!

I just threw out lots of left over junk food from the holidays last night. I do that often, I just throw it away. It's hard because it feels like a waste, but then it doesn't go to my waist. Lol! Trying to eat healthy.

blackchristian888

Post by blackchristian888 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Great Forum!! I'm Cesar and I'm new here, just browsing for some good stuff and informative posts..
Chris Cesar