Weight loss surgery and No S, thank you Reinhard

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

Weight loss surgery and No S, thank you Reinhard

Post by AnnaBanana » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:20 pm

First off, let me apologize for the length of this. But I really need to publicly thank Reinhard for this way of eating. Here goes the story of epic proportions. :)

I'm 51 years old and several years ago at an all time high weight of 288 I stumbled across this website. I didn't join in but was intrigued by it. I knew diets offered me no answer and this seemed doable. Through only half hearted attempts very off and on I got down to the high 250s. But there it stalled and my diet mentality took over. I joined the group and posted a lot in the beginning, interspersed with bouts of Atkins and WW. I even wrote how this way of eating was spiritual to me. How happy it made me. And it did. But I continued because of my high weight to go off and on it.

Finally a year ago my health became a crisis situation. I was in menopause, had high blood pressure, diabetes, insulin resistance and sleep apnea, along with a very high heart rate. The doctor told me I was a ticking time bomb and the weight had to come off NOW. That's when I began researching weight loss surgery again. I ultimately had surgery October 19th of this year and have since lost 43.5 lbs. Along with it I have lost hypertension, sleep apnea and diabetes and a dangerously high heart rate.

I am not going to debate the merits of WLS. It was a very difficult decision and for me it was imperative. It was not about vainity but health. It was the only decision for ME.

Where does No S come in? Well, a month into the surgery, even though I had lost considerable weight, my old behaviors and doubts began to creep in. I began to panic thinking as a self-pay person I had just bought the most expensive diet program ever... $10,000. And that long before I paid the last payment I would be fat again and sicker than ever.

Old behaviors took over and though I could not eat much at a setting, I began to eat all day and the wrong things. I panicked big time. I cried myself to sleep one night, sure I was doomed.

But a strange thing happened the next morning. I remembered this website. I logged back in and began reading. I felt that peace come over me.

That very day I applied the principles modified for WLS of No S. I ate only at 3 meals, and if I had not met my protein requirement I filled in with protein shakes. But I never ate outside those 3 meals. On Saturday's and Sunday's I still made sure I got the 2 biggies... protein and fluids... but I relaxed the rules and for me that meant dessert. I quit trying to push myself to work out 2 hours a day at the gym and laced my tennies back up and began to walk 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. For Christmas I am asking for that hammer thing. LOL

Fast forward a month later and I believe without a shadow of a doubt I will take all my weight off and keep it off. I have learned to practice once again moderation coupled with the restrictivness of WLS.

I know most can't relate, but if even one WLS patient is reading this and it helps them, it will be invaluable. I am going to gently introduce this idea at my WLS meetings and on a site I visit. It can and DOES work even with something as severe as WLS.

Reinhard, just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I don't think you ever dreamed how far reaching your simple advice could reach and that in fact would help people you never realized it would.

If you read this far, thanks for reading my life story. :)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Congratulations on your WLS. Image

While WLS is not the total Answer for Weight-control issues,
it can be extremely helpful for many people.

As I have posted before, 17 years ago I had WLS and have never regretted it.
My WLS has helped me avoid the issues of large meals and bigtime Binges,
but, even now, the snacking issue requires work.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey, Bright Angel... thanks for replying. I was afraid on a board that the mantra is really moderation, WLS might be seen as extreme. But it was a must do for me and I have NO regrets. I'm just reallllyyyy happy that I was able to add No S in. I respect this program tremendously and pleased to say it has eased my anxiety and works wonderfully for me with WLS.

Congrats on maintaining for so long. I hope to be you! :)

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Congratulations on your success!, I'm glad that you found the solution that works best for you.

geekmom

Post by geekmom » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:13 am

LauraAnn, no judgment here. It's inspiring to read about how No-S has helped you so much. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:28 pm

I am happy that you have found a path that works for you. :)

I know two people that have done WLS (in person, that is). One has relapsed just as you feared you might. She has learned to eat tiny bits all the time, and gained weight back. It is sad to see.

The other treated her WLS as a catalyst. She made the changes she needed to make in her lifestyle, and is a different person in SO many ways. Watching her is like witnessing a human butterfly - in shedding the pounds, she also shed a lot of limiting thinking and self-imposed inhibitions. She is so happy that just being around her makes me feel inspired.

It sounds as if you're heading down the "catalyst" path. :)

Congratulations and best wishes!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 pm

LauraAnn,

You are welcome, from the bottom of my heart!

It's a joy to think I've been able to help.

And as you can see from the responses here already, we're not a judgmental crowd.

Congratulations on your success so far and best wishes going forward!

Reinhard