Teenager on the No S Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnthonyMitchell

Teenager on the No S Diet

Post by AnthonyMitchell » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:15 am

Hello, my name is Anthony Mitchell. I am 14 years old, 6 ft tall, and 215 lbs. The highest I have ever weighed was 253 lbs. on New Year's Day 2009, but then I guess hormones kicked in and I dropped down to 196 lbs. I would usually stay around 200 lbs. but this past month or so I have been binging every single day. I feel horrible because I couldn't even fit into my favorite jeans this morning without them being horribly tight and my belly hanging out over them. Most of my family is obese, with the only people to have a normal weight being my aunt and uncle, who aren't exactly skin and bone, and so I have always been a big kid (which is a nice way of saying I was fat). I have been on a diet continuouly since 9 years of age. I would diet for a couple of days then binge. Diet, binge, diet, binge. You know?

But anyways, I found the No S Diet while searching for new diets at school of all places. It immediately caught my attention and I tried it out. I unfortunately only lasted 2 days until I binged again. But I am ready to give it all my effort this time around.

I feel what I really need is some accountability, which I figured I could find here on the forums.

So I can't wait to get started and get to know everyone. I will be starting the diet tomorrow morning, so wish me luck.

P.S. Just in case you were wondering, I *do* have my parents' permission to do this diet. In fact, my father is considering going on this diet, too.
Teenage Binge-Eater

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 am

Welcome, AnthonyMitchell. No S is a lifestyle where you will shrink slowly but steadily. Remember to have your S days-they really help a lot to get through the week. Happy Shrinking!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Welcome!

This is a reasonable way of eating (it's so basic that the word "diet" almost doesn't apply!), and you should do fine on it. Hope you inspire your dad to do it with you! :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Welcome! My 14 year old son seemed to do the same stretch-grow-get thinnner thing this year too. No S is the most sane way to eat. It's not even really a diet, just "normal". It's how my skinny great grand parents ate and they lived to be in their 90's. Don't kick yourself too hard when you bunge. that's my problem too and the longer I'm on no S the better those get. I rarely binge anymore. Keep it up! We're here for ya! Do the habit cal. It's a great tool.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Welcome, Anthony! And good luck!

(and glad to hear your parents are on board).

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 am

My 15 year old went on the diet last year, and she's gained weight. However, and this is a big however, her eating habits are much improved. She's still in the stage of trying to cheat on the diet, which I understand, because I just came out of that stage. This diet is sanity. I can imagine how difficult it is for you to be at your weight at your age. What you want is an approach you can follow for life that will not dominate your every waking moment. I've spent 33 years dieting, and this diet is the first one I've found that is sane. I was so happy for my daughter to go on it, and I still am. Establishing the habits comes first. Don't worry about weight loss. Focus on the habits.
Kathleen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 am

Anthony, you're 14 years old. I'd definitely concentrate on mastering the habits and not gaining more instead of worrying about weight loss (though just by changing your habits you're going to experience some weight loss). At 14, you're still growing.

Congratulations for committing to this!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Anthony, I've raised three sons and in about three years you'll hit a growth spurt where, if you are consistent with your eating and exercise now, you'll lose the fat and gain muscle.

Since you are still growing, if you need a fourth meal to keep from binging (like after school) please take it and don't count it as a failure. The important thing is consistency.

Keep us posted and tell your dad to give it a try.

oolala53

from a high school teacher

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:04 am

I'm so glad to think you've found this program as a teenager. It is so much smarter than the crazy things I've heard some of my students do. It is likely that you will fall off the wagon, maybe a lot, before it becomes more of a habit. I've fallen off this past several months pretty badly, and even researched some alternatives because I was getting scared, but the information I discovered pretty much supports what's being recommended here, even if it never refers to No S. The odds of finding some eating regime that overnight dispels the urge to overeat by leaving out certain foods or by eating frequently or whatever else is promised are pretty slim. In fact, research on the brain's reaction to "highly palatable" foods shows that nearly all foods that cause people to binge--and let's face it, no one binges on celery-- must be eaten in moderate amounts occasionally if they are ever to be eaten again at all. Trying never to eat them sets them up as even more powerfully addictive. Since it's unlikely there are any delicious foods that you will never eat again, it makes more sense to adopt a plan that will move you towards enjoying all foods in reasonable amounts.. If you stick with it, and are honest and curious about your body's real need for food, over time the N days will teach you what is reasonable for you. A year from now, it's unlikely your three plates a day of food on N-days will look the same as they do now or in the next few months. But you can start right where you are.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)