Eat Stop Eat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MrsPartridge

Eat Stop Eat

Post by MrsPartridge » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 pm

Some people (Walkerlori) here at using Brad Pilon's method of Eat Stop Eat. I wonder how long they are going between eating?

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 pm

Eat Stop Eat involves 1 or 2 days of fasting for a 24 hour period. Brad Pilon uses the example of fasting say Mon. starting at 6:00 pm after dinner till 6:00 pm Tue. , than have a normal size dinner. I have gone from fasting 2 times per week to one. Mine starts Sun. after dinner (S day) till Mon. dinner. I feel like my body needs that period of no food after my S weekend. I've been on the program since Brad released it, in 2007. I highly recommend his book.
Hope that helps.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:16 am

Hi and Happy New Year!

I follow the same schedule as dmarie. I fast from Sunday evening to Monday evening. Sometimes I do 2 days a week, lately I've been sticking with 1.

Eat Stop Eat works very well for me. I know that intermittent fasting isn't for everybody, my husband will never do it!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 pm

What can you have during the fast?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 pm

We can have anything fluid without calories. Water, tea, sometimes I've had water with a little apple cider vinegar. Oh yeah, coffee. I almost forgot.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I really wanna try this. My family are Buddhists and sometimes my mom fasts from midday 12:00 until waking up the next morning. I've tried it a few time and I always feel so great afterwards. The only reason I haven't done this for a while is it means I can't make dinner plans or anything like that. Fasting from dinner one day to the other sounds like a good idea, because I'm more likely to have dinner with company.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 am

exactly babprr, that's why that schedule works for me. Kids are at school during the day, they come home, and we all eat dinner together. :lol:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:09 am

6pm to 6pm works best for me too.

I've tried variations, noon to noon, 3pm to 3pm. It didn't work for me. I would cave in after 19 hours!

I think the trick is to find the 24 hour timeline that works for you.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Sheila in KY

Post by Sheila in KY » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:38 pm

I have never heard of Eat Stop Eat but it sounds very interesting. I looked online and see that the book is almost $40. Is the book necessary? Is there more to it than just not eating for a 24 hour period and eating sensibly the days you do eat?

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 am

I have also started fasting from Sunday evening through Monday dinner, primarily to remind myself that my life is not about food. My struggle is to avoid gorging on Sunday to plan for the fast.
Make the Better Choice

Ms

Post by Ms » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:05 pm

I am thankful for this thread. Today is my first fast day of ESE. Yes, I chose an S-day to start, but I find it easiest to start fasting today since I have no social plans today. So far, so good. I will eat again at 7 pm tonight. I lift weights once/twice per week and I've started doing Pilates (standing, no matwork on the floor for me!) at least twice per week so I get the strength training in there. I am starting with just one day per week. I may bump it up to two days per week but I want to start slowly so that I don't get discouraged and quit. And right now I think one day per week will be the easiest for me to maintain.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:26 pm

I started looking into intermittent fasting, thinking it could be harmful to my health. It was reassuring to me to learn that there is a Greek Orthodox tradition of fasting until 3 pm on Wednesdays and Fridays which is extended until 6 PM during Lent. I've now tried this approach 3 times and am planning on continuing on Fridays. It seems to be teaching me to be calmer around food.
Kathleen

OT

Post by OT » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:31 pm

I used to fast for 24 hrs twice a week,dinner till dinner,but I now do just one 30-36 hour fast per week.I have dinner,then don't eat at all the following day,then have breakfast the day after. I actually find that fasting for 30+hours is easier than 24 hours. With the 24 hr fast the last 2-4 hours were always very difficult because I couldn't stop thinking about dinner which made me really hungry.With a 30-36 hour fast, I know I won't be eating at all for one whole day, so I just forget about food alltogether and find other things to occupy myself with-hunger doesn't bother me at all now.

Ms

Post by Ms » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Okay sooo.... I lasted for 22 hours. I read somewhere that the last 2 hours is the most important time of the 24 hour fasting period. Oh well. I think I did good considering that it was a very last minute decision and I have never, ever tried to fast. I will plan better next time and figure out what to do so that I fast for the entire 24 hours successfully.

OT

Post by OT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 pm

just out of interested,what was it that made you give in after 22 hours?Hunger?Feeling of weakness?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Don't feel like a failure for not getting to 24 hours the first time. Are you disappointed because you think you lost out on some weight loss? As Reinhard says, work on the habit first, not getting results. If you run to the scale after fasting, you're not getting an accurate reading of your weight anyway. The weight will fluctuate. If it takes you a few tries, so what? Sustained weight loss isn't going to happen until all the parts are in place anyway and the time is going to pass anyway. Let results surprise you after a few successes. And weigh 2 days after the fast is over, not the next morning. Better yet, use Physics Diet and pay attention only to the averaged weight, and only once a week.

Or, like Reinhard, skip the scale completely. For every long-term successful loser here who goes by the scale, there are many others who rarely weigh themselves. What if you one day were able to wear a pair of pants 2 sizes smaller than you ever had but got on the scale and discovered no weight loss?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)