Back, ready to give this a try, but kind of scared

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

stoogeswoman

Back, ready to give this a try, but kind of scared

Post by stoogeswoman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Everyone -

I'm back, and am about to go to my first Weight Watchers meeting in two weeks.

And I'm scared because even though I've been doing the No S plan* since before Christmas, and at least attempting to go out and do a long walk every day or at least every other day, my weight is still going UP - slowly, inexorably, not dramatically, but definitely UP.

And nothing I do seems to make any difference. It started creeping upwards in August and nothing I've done has stopped.

To be honest, I haven't really tried the No S thing very long, so maybe it will make a difference if I just stick to it for a few weeks. And I will give it the ol' college try.

But I guess I'm scared because it's all happened before - I've lost weight, felt like the battle was over, then watched in helpless horror as the pounds all came back (plus!).

So please be patient with me if I post here in panic from time to time. I don't really like to spend a whole lot of time whining online, but I may need some encouragement. Because I am going to keep trying.

Thanks!!

(* I know I haven't kept my online calendar up to date. To be honest, that kind of tracking is hard for me to do - same with the Weight Watchers "POINTS" thing. I just want to do something and not have to keep track of it! But I'll make an effort to update the calendar as well.)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Welcome!

I don't use the HabitCal at all. I find those kinds of things to be too "diety" -- and something I know I won't keep up.

The biggest problem with most diets is that they're something you go "on" to lose weight and "off" once you've lost it. No-S, on the other hand, is a series of behaviors that you start and continue for life. There's no "on" and "off." The way you start is the way you continue.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Welcome back!

Tracking things is no fun! But especially at first it's nice to keep a record so you don't just rely on your memory, and (for example) think you've been perfect when you haven't. I have a desk calendar at work and just mark off on that.

You might find it easier to only keep track of failure days (less tracking, but also slightly less inspirational/more depressing).

Remember that No-S is a slow method, and needs time to work. It's no quick-fix. But it is a long term solution, unlike most diets. Which, as wosnes says, are something you go "on" and "off."
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:06 am

I don't want to keep track of anything - life's too short, which is one of the best things about NoS - there's more time for 'life' without all that tracking.

It took me two full weeks of total NoS compliance before I started losing, but then since then it has been steady and surprisingly easy to stick with.