New to S diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kal63

New to S diet

Post by kal63 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:31 am

Hi, I am new to the S diet and I have a quick question.
I sometimes have sugar with my cereal. On a non S day, how many teaspoons full is too much? Yeah, kinda trivel I know but just asking. :?
All it takes for evil to run rampent, is for enough good men and women to do nothing.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:57 am

I wanted to say hi and welcome :) I no longer eat cereals, but as far as sugar goes, I'm in the 'the less sugar the better', not so much from a NoS standpoint, but just health in general and most cereal is fairly sweet on it's own - except something like grapenuts. I don't know how much would be 'too much', it would depend on how sweet it tastes.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:41 am

I also no longer eat cereals, but here's my advice: if you think it's too much, it's too much. Don't worry about what I say or what anyone else says -- we all have different ideas. Here's the guideline I'm going to give you: if you think it's sweet enough to be a sweet treat or a dessert, it's too much sugar.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

scgal

Post by scgal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:52 pm

I'd see if 1 tsp tasted OK. I've been able to drop from 1 to 1/2 tsp in my cup of tea.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Remember, it's not no sugar; it's no sweets.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 pm

kal63,

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a teaspoon or two (assuming the cereal itself isn't sweetened).

If it's about what you'd put in a coffee (especially if you're not also putting it in your coffee) I don't think there's any need to worry.

Reinhard

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am

What has been said previously is very true: the original sweetness of the cereal counts (don't sugar your frosted flakes like my mom did at one point), and if it's not heaping amounts you should be okay.

If you know how much you usually use (# of spoons) you might dump the usual amount on a plate or in a cup to get a good visual of how much you're actually using (I know when I use sugar on my cereal it gets lost between the flakes/clumps rather easily). If it doesn't look like too much, go ahead and use it.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett