baked goods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

annieloublue

baked goods

Post by annieloublue » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi, do you consider baked goods, such as muffins, coffee cakes, quick breads or scones or similar food items as 'sweets'? I'm not sure about how to classify these items and whether or not to consider them as a 'no s'. Thanks for any and all help!

staclinusa

Post by staclinusa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:21 pm

For me these are a point of weakness, so I'm going to make them S day items only. Bagels and english muffins are okay, but not scones or coffee cake because I will over indulge on those.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine eating those things more than 2 days a week while considering myself a healthy eater!
Stacey

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I'd personally count pretty much everything you listed as a sweet. Muffins are the only potential grey area - bought ones are definitely sweets; homemade ones that are a reasonable size and not overly-sweetened can sometimes scrape by, but they're pretty borderline.

However, I do eat biscuits (the USA version of the term, not UK - we'd call a UK biscuit a "cookie"), homemade bread, bagels, and English muffins on N-days (not all at once, of course!).

For me, if I can tell a baked item has sugar in it, it's a sweet.

annieloublue

baked goods

Post by annieloublue » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the input on the baked goods. I'm tending to agree and will probably try to limit them to 's' days. Coffee cakes are usually sweeter, crumb toppings etc and the others are a little more in the gray areas. I'd like to keep them to homemade or high quality bakery anyway as that would be somewhat healthier.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

For me, they are not sweets. But I bake them all myself and they are just part of a meal.

annieloublue

Post by annieloublue » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 pm

As part of a meal is probably the best way to look at it so that eating them does not turn into overindulging or craving. Good for you!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Initially I was going to agree with KCCC, because that's how I've been looking at them. But I remember when I was younger, they were part of a meal. Not only that, some other cultures routinely eat things like that as part of a meal.

However you choose to incorporate them into your diet, just be consistent.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

annieloublue

baked goods

Post by annieloublue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 am

That's what I need to relearn, consistancy and moderation! Good points in your post, thanks!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 am

wosnes wrote:Initially I was going to agree with KCCC, because that's how I've been looking at them. But I remember when I was younger, they were part of a meal. Not only that, some other cultures routinely eat things like that as part of a meal.

However, you choose to incorporate them into your diet, just be consistent.
Good point about other cultures using them as part of a meal. I don't think of them as such, but I do eat other things (as listed above) that I wouldn't eat on a "diet" but eat as "part of a meal" on No-S.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Some of you might know my story, but when I saw the title of this thread I was so excited to once again relate my No S experience.

In January of 2006 I started No S. It took a few weeks to get in the groove, but I lost about 25 lbs by August 2006. It was amazing! Then I got a job in a bakery, and that was my undoing! I could not not snack on baked goods and bread all day long... No S was out the door. I just couldn't stick to it. Now I don't work there anymore and I am starting to lose the weight, except now I have so much more to lose because I had a baby and that weight hasn't come off so easy.

Right now I am having lunch. I have a soup and 2 mini croissants. I don't usually eat croissants, but we bought a container of them last night at the supermarket and I want to enjoy them while they are fresh. I contemplated putting nutella or honey on them, but they would officially become a sweet. No S is not about No bread, so bagels and bread are fine... muffins I would go easy on. A corn muffin or a bran muffin maybe would be an exception, let's face it: muffins are basically cake without the icing.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

annieloublue

baked goods

Post by annieloublue » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:29 pm

What a dangerous place to work! I have enough trouble without something like that!

Right now, I am including, in moderation, some baked goods as part of a meal. For instance, this morning, I split a muffin with my husband as part of my breakfast. I also had apple sauce, which I suppose could be considered a 'sweet' except that it was homemade and I knew exactly how much sugar went into an entire large mixing bowl and it wasn't much at all. So I figured I was ok.

So far, so good and I've been appreciating the comments and tips on the topic!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't count applesauce as a sweet, but the baked goods i do for sure. BUT i think it's all reasonable IF it's homemade. ANY baked good that is store bought is going to be loaded.

i live in NYC, and the chains are required to post calories. there is not a single baked item at starbucks under 320 calories. and that is a lot for me even if it is breakfast. i sometimes plan ahead to get pumpkin bread or something, but i balance it with a light soup or salad as part or my meal.

slippery slope. mostly i look at them every day and pick out which one i will run out and get saturday morning - YUM!
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 am

It really depends on the baked good itself. I've had muffins that were no more sweet than a bread, and muffins that were just as sweet as any cake I've eaten.

Sometimes you can tell by looking: frosting, glaze, powdered sugar and sugar sprinkles are a definite "sweet" indicator. Sometimes it's sneaky and you have to take a bite first. If your mouth says "Sweet!" it's a sweet, and at that point you can eat it or replace it with a bagel. I guess you could spit the bite out if you're really gung-ho, but I'm not that zealous.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 pm

We eat all the above (except for coffee cake) regularly as part of breakfast. Pancakes, too. They are all homemade (no virtue on my part--it is the only way we can get them).

Pancakes, scones, muffins recipes are all in the BREAD section of my cookbooks. To be able to eat these things No-S style, one really needs to take into account PORTION size. For the same amount of dough (muffin batter made with 2 cups flour), an old Joy of Cooking recipe lists 18-24 muffins per batch vs. a new Fine Cooking recipe which lists 10 muffins.

And for scones, one can make them N-day friendly by reducing the fat. I have a recipe that calls for 1/2+ cup of butter (and is very good and rich that way), but is also quite tasty made with a 1/4c. of butter/oil instead. My family would much rather have a delicious (lower-fat) homemade scone with a piece of fruit and glass of milk than another bowl of oatmeal.

Coffeecake, because of the inherent added sweetness (note the word "cake" in coffeecake), IS an S-day treat here.

Note: I think it would be very hard to find premade muffins and scones that would be N-day friendly. The last time I bought some delicious looking muffins at Costco, I actually did spit my first bite out because it tasted way too sweet and the texture was weird--not at all muffinlike....

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

RJ

Post by RJ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

vmsurbat wrote:To be able to eat these things No-S style, one really needs to take into account PORTION size. For the same amount of dough (muffin batter made with 2 cups flour), an old Joy of Cooking recipe lists 18-24 muffins per batch vs. a new Fine Cooking recipe which lists 10 muffins.
This is very interesting, and I followed up on another hunch that I had. I have an *old* (like, circa 1920) cookbook that belonged to my grandma; in that cookbook, a basic muffin recipe with 2c. flour calls for 1/4 c. sugar and 1/4 cup of butter. (And to be fair, so does Mark Bittman in How to Cook Everything, but he's also an apostle for moderate eating). When I go to Recipezaar and search "blueberry muffins", the top-rated recipe calls for 2c. flour, but also calls for 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar. It does make 18 muffins, but even so. Our taste buds are becoming acculturated to expect more and more fat/sugar/salt at every turn. (I admit to being guilty of this, even though I don't eat a lot of restaurant meals, fast food or otherwise.)