Just started and SOOOO hungry!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kwidener7

Just started and SOOOO hungry!

Post by kwidener7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I just decided to do this and I am just starving. I ate as much as I could at my meals, but before lunch I was so hungry that my lunch just did not cut it. I need help, do I need to eat more at meals? Or consider 4 meals? I'm ready to just call today a failure and restart tomorrow.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Welcome!

It took me a while to figure out meals too. At first I was so hungry for lunch I had a raging headache, so I feel for you. I added some peanut butter to my breakfast bagel, and that did the trick for me. I now have SOME protein at every meal on N days. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it helps me avoid the kind of day you're describing.

So play around with your meals. You may need to eat MORE, or you may need to change what you're eating. I promise you, this plan is worth it, and you can do it once you have things figured out.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm

I always eat protein with EVERY meal because I know how bad it wrecks me if I don't. I have PCOS and some blood sugar problems.

I've also been loading up on veggies and fruits with my meals to try and keep me full. I had this problem when I did the Ice Cream diet the first few days or so. My body was so hungry since I had been used to eating so much more. Maybe I'll just have to load up more at meal times till I get more used to this. So I'm hoping that's what the problem is...

rose

Post by rose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I find if I eat any sugar at breakfast I am very hungry by 11am. Even a tiny bit of jam on a toast (technically allowed on NoS) is a problem.
So I now drink unsweetened herbal tea, have unsweetened muesli cereals (although the dried grape does sweeten it a bit), unsweetened yogurt, and fruit (naturally sweet, yes).

Also I find that if I eat junk food (say, mcdonalds) I get hungry much earlier... perhaps the carbs are too refined in that food or something.

And finally, not eating enough carbs or enough fat (yes, fat) makes me hungry before the next meal too.

Edit: veggies do make me feel full during the meal, but not after the meal. So perhaps adding more veggies and fruit is counter-productive to reducing hunger between meals.

But, of course, the cause of your hunger may be totally different :)
How about you share your menu and the time of your meals?
Also some info about your lifestyle (outdoors in the cold? desk job? exercising?)
Perhaps someone can give you more precise advice then.

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Well, I just started too, and I've had that exact same problem. On Monday I was seriously considering gnawing my own arm off, except I was pretty sure it would be considered a "snack", so I had a cup of hot tea and walked around the building a couple of times until I was tired enough to stop wanting to chew on body parts.

The thing that seems to be working best for me is oatmeal. It has become my new best friend. For breakfast I have a nice bowl of oatmeal, a tiny bit undercooked so it's still firm, not all gooey, with a little bit of brown sugar. I also mix in a bit of yogurt to give it a creamy taste, and have a piece of fruit with it (apples and oranges seem to work best for keeping me all filled up until lunch).

I'm still having a bit of trouble with lunch portions because I'm trying to figure out what works best to keep me from being too terribly hungry before dinner.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 pm

I posted this almost exactly a year ago -- and I've reposted parts of it probably half a dozen times since then. I don't know exactly what you're eating, but I think "real food" goes a long way towards taking care of hunger.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nay

Post by Nay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:04 am

Don't forget that drinks don't count as food -- have a glass of whole milk if you are starving between meals. That helped me when I first started.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 am

Thanks for all of the replies! They are very helpful, especially the one on real food.

I have for the past 5 years been very adament about eating 'real' stuff and avoiding those that look more like chemistry lab lists. But, I ate a lot of junk over the holidays and lots of food. I did however cave and had a small sandwich as a snack. I'll keep the tips in mind and work on a better tomorrow.

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:21 am

Besides all the great tips you've gotten. . . for me there was some getting used to not snacking. I was ravenous before lunch and dinner when I started on No-S. I stuck it out and about 3 to 4 weeks in I noticed my appetite had diminished considerably. My portions got smaller then, because I felt over stuffed after eating.
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:19 am

I think it's worth analysing what you're eating and what makes you feel full, what doesn't.

At the moment, everyone seems to talk about protein, particularly for women with PCOS (like me) but, having analysed what I eat and when I feel most hungry, it's apparent that, for me, protein really doesn't make me feel full. I tried a high protein diet because it was supposed to benefit PCOS but I was so hungry all the time that I wanted to eat my own arm and that's unusual for me - I have quite a low metabolism usually and rarely feel very hungry. As someone else said, carbs and fat are what make me feel full. Doesn't take a lot of fat but when I have meals without any fat at all, I tend to get hungry quite soon afterwards. Carbs are very important though - they make me feel sated and keep me going till the next meal.

But it might well be different for you!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

kwidener7,
I read about an old French proverb that was "appetite comes from eating." I think the idea behind this proverb is that you get hungry because you are accustomed to eating. My guess is that you have habits of lots of snacks, and now all of a sudden you have switched to only three meals per day. It will take some time for your body to adjust to no snacks, and after a while you won't even think about food between meals. It's great. I used to feel hungry all the time. Now I rarely feel hungry.
Kathleen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Kathleen is right -- it's mostly about habit. And if you stick to your guns, habit will start to work for you. But as others here have already pointed out, there are some steps you can take in the meantime beyond merely hunkering down. Here's a relevant section from the book (which I assume you've bought, of course :-)):

from pages 49-50
What If I Get Hungry Between Meals?

The solution to hunger between meals is this: Prepare
big enough meals + build the habit of “mealing†+ reach
for a beverage if you get too hungry or to preempt hun-
ger if you know it is going to be a problem. It really
does get better, especially as the habit component of
the equation grows.

Try drinking a beverage before you get hungry. Thirst
is often confused with hunger. I know this is hard to
believe when you’re in the throes of it, but by drinking
proactively you might preempt such “hunger†and not
even have to believe. Although noncaloric drinks are
obviously preferable, it is technically okay to reach for a
caloric drink (as long as it isn’t loaded with sugar) if you
think that’s what it will take to see you through to your
next meal without snacking on solid food (see page 54
for more guidance on this issue).

Although you shouldn’t be miserable, the idea that
hunger is somehow wrong is a novel and misguided
concept. Hunger isn’t a disease. It’s natural and good to
be hungry before a meal. Not for hours and not pain-
fully, but habit and attitude can go a long way toward
mitigating that.

Good, regular habits (and full meals) will make
hunger more bearable, even pleasant. The old adage
that “appetite is the best sauce†isn’t just irritating
moralizing, it’s true— I’ve experienced it. If this seems
inconceivable to you now, it’s only because you’re in
the thrall of some very unnatural habits. With the No
S Diet, you’ll quickly build good habits, and this will
seem like the most normal thing in the world. You’ll be
surprised when you see people eating between meals.
You’ll think, as your mom used to tell you, that they’re
spoiling their appetites.
Reinahrd

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement and support.

I'm happy to report that today has been so much better already. I did a few things differently. After reading the link on toxic food and the withdrawal from it, I decided to have a large glass of water with clay (figuring that the clay would help soak up any toxins my body might be trying to rid itself of). Then I set out to pack very large meals for myself for today.

This morning I got up early (for me at least!). Drank another large glass of water with clay and got in a short workout. Well, I wasn't nearly as hungry for breakfast and even now with lunch approaching, I just barely feel hungry. So I think my body is getting used to the new schedule! :D

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm

rose wrote: And finally, not eating enough carbs...makes me hungry before the next meal ...
I noticed that too...interesting, isn't it? I did a super-low fat vegetarian diet years ago and was hungry all the time. That made sense to me, because I know fat is satiating. What didn't make sense was when, years later, I tried low carb and found that a meal of just protein and fat was also not satisfying. I wasn't as hungry as I was on lowfat, but I was still hungry. I guess we can't fool our bodies. They know what they need.

Glad you're feeling better, kwidener7. I had the same experience as you. I was starving between meals at first. I ate a little more at meals, and that helped, but mostly I just had to wait for my body to get used to the new schedule - and it did!
~ Laura ~

staclinusa

Post by staclinusa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:46 pm

This is why I'm starting slow! I'm cutting out seconds this week, sweets, next week and then snacks. I'm hoping that by the time I get to no snacks I will have adjusted some.

However, I am going to plan a mini-meal on Non-S days because my school schedule means I eat lunch really early and my husband being a coach means I eat dinner really late.
Stacey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 pm

In the beginning I ate HUGE meals. i actually laugh looking back on the meals i was packing on a plate. between lunch and dinner, i actually felt like i was going to pass out! BUT almost 2 years later, I never feel light headed, rarely grouchy and my meals are way smaller.

there is so much happening psychologically, it's really habit habit habit. I will say that eating an apple at the end of lunch is fantastic, its refreshing, you feel very full and its healthy.

also, the key to feeling full is fat, not necessarily protein. This has been discussed on this board numerous times. If you eat a piece of turkey vs. a spoon full of peanut butter, the PB. will go farther. when i work out right after work, i often eat some PB on 2-3 crackers. gets me through the workout until dinner. is it a snack? yes. But its purposeful, and working out on a totally empty stomach is actually dangerous.

good luck!
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

puddinpie

Post by puddinpie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Kwidener7,

I have PCOS also, and I had the same experience. I already was eating unprocessed, homemade food. I am quite picky even to the point of eating grass fed beef instead of regular. Despite this, I was so hungry. I think that wosnes (thanks for the interesting link) is right about processed food, but PCOS and having insulin resistance can make our bodies react badly to changing food schedules. I was used to snacking all the time on healthy food, but I did not realize how much it was sucking up my energy! I felt better after a few days. I was so worried about how I was going to make it through work because sometimes I have to wait several hours between meals. Now it is no problem. I am hungry, but not that horrible low blood sugar hungry I was when snacking. I think 3 meals helps to control some of the PCOS related blood sugar problems.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 pm

puddinpie, I totally agree! I've done healthy diets before, but it was way too much counting and measuing, so I know what it is like to break the low blood sugar problems I had. I also stopped eating that way because I was eating too many processed and low fat foods, that my cholesterol was high. My levels have greatly improved since switching to more natural foods even though I have gained back weight.

This is now my second week, but by the third day I had almost lost all of the nasty light headedness and crankiness that I normally had between meals. I'm currently just concentrating on always having at least a serving or two of fruits and/or vegetable at all three meals and then a balance of carbs, protein, and fat. I'm not even having problems with "white" carbs. And homemade bread (as I'm discovering) is so satisfying and does not seem to cause blood sugar spikes if eaten as part of a wholesome meal.

My husband has picked on me and the No S way some (of course I would worry if he didn't pick on me at all!), but recently told me that it didn't matter what I did as long as it kept me from turning into the low-blood sugar witch! LOL He unfortunately is often the receptor of my raving lunatic rants when I am hungry! Of course, since my third day, even those wanting to eat people moods have gone away. Even with almost completely unstructured S-days!!

:D

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Homemade bread is the best isn't it 8) ? My fiance and I just started making our own bread and it blows the stuff in the supermarket out of the water in every way. What kinds have you made? We've made oatmeal and wheat berry, both were delicious by the way. We're working on whole wheat sour dough now, we started the starter yesterday. Unfortunately we have to wait until this weekend to find out how it will turn out.

Betho

Post by Betho » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

Ahh... yes a piece of homemade toasted rye with a good strong cheese is one of my favote breakfasts. It's truly a meal in itself.

In any case, I just started the diet a week ago and I am finding the same thing... at first, very hungry but I purposefully eat large quantities. I think my problem is I have such an odd work schedule that I can't do 3 meals, I need at least 3 meals to get me through until I get home at 8pm, which is when I have my "dinner." It certainly is difficult to go from a habit of snacking all day, even if you are constantly just eating the "good stuff" and moving to more meal-oriented.

Truth be told, my problem is not how I eat during the week, it's how I eat on the weekend so I am considering swapping my S-days to be two weekdays and then having Sat & Sun be considered normal days. When I'm at work I'm limited to what I can eat, just what I bring with me, so it's pretty controlled. I pack my lunch when I'm not hungry so I do really well with keeping things balanced... it's just on the weekends I tend to eat a lot because it's there and I'm in the kitchen a ton.

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am

I always like to remind people as well that being hungry is not going to kill you. Not in the US anyway. Practice Hara Hachi Bu--the Okinawan principle of eating until 80% full.
Make the Better Choice

Mary

Post by Mary » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm

I find that if I'm going to get by on 3 meals a day, I have to make them old-fashioned square meals. Pork chops, sautéed potatoes, and a green salad with vinaigrette, say. No low-fat anything. I like using old-school recipes, like Julia Child's or Marcella Hazan's. I see cheese and butter as my friends--they help keep me full until the next meal.
The big adjustment I had to make for No S to work was to eat hearty meals--not huge, but substantial. I used to eat lady-like little low-fat meals, which meant I felt I had to snack constantly, which made me heavy. I adore No S because it keeps me slim while eating awesome food. And I love being able to go for long stretches between meals (I have a busy and unpredictable schedule) without being distracted by hunger.[/i]

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Mary - that was one of the best things I learned on this diet. Eating real food can actually help lose weight!! the diet stuff is such a slippery slope to plain old over eating
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

K_Dill

Post by K_Dill » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 am

Mary wrote:I find that if I'm going to get by on 3 meals a day, I have to make them old-fashioned square meals. Pork chops, sautéed potatoes, and a green salad with vinaigrette, say. No low-fat anything. I like using old-school recipes, like Julia Child's or Marcella Hazan's. I see cheese and butter as my friends--they help keep me full until the next meal.
The big adjustment I had to make for No S to work was to eat hearty meals--not huge, but substantial. I used to eat lady-like little low-fat meals, which meant I felt I had to snack constantly, which made me heavy. I adore No S because it keeps me slim while eating awesome food. And I love being able to go for long stretches between meals (I have a busy and unpredictable schedule) without being distracted by hunger.[/i]
Yes yes yes. The thing I found out the hard way was to eat "real" or traditional meals. It took me several weeks to get over that I wasn't "on a diet", and just eat like a "normal" person.

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am

I think everyone's food suggestions are great but look at environment and psychology too. We are too accustomed to dieters and then think constantly of food. Takes time to adjust to a low maintenance way of eating. Also look at activities. Fore it is easier to eat while tied to the desk or tv. Put me to work cleaning a house or yardwork u forget about food unless I am truly hungry and then it is easier to ignore.