Breakfast like king, lunch like prince, dinner like pauper

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

guadopt1997

Breakfast like king, lunch like prince, dinner like pauper

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:46 pm

This was in a post I read yesterday (I'm not saying it's new or orignial, only that I just saw it again).

Most people who post their meals here seem to be eating the least at breakfast.

If anyone practices this approach, what would a king's breakfast look like?
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't know if I "breakfast like a king", but I do tend to feel better if I eat more in the morning and less at dinner. I can't make it through the morning on just cereal or oatmeal. A big breakfast for me (and my usual breakfast) is "egg in a nest", orange juice and tea. I make sure I put lots of butter on the bread (read sourdough) and whole milk in my tea. No lowfat for this girl.

(I realize that might not sound like a lot of food to some people, so YMMV.)

:)
~ Laura ~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

TunaFishKid wrote: YMMV.)
I need a translator!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:35 pm

wosnes wrote:
TunaFishKid wrote: YMMV.)
I need a translator!
LOL - Sorry!

"Your Mileage May Vary"

Translation - What works for me may not work for you. :wink:
~ Laura ~

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 am

The approach I use is to make 1 meal large ( a dinner plate), 1 meal medium (a 9 inch plate) and 1 meal small (an appetizer plate).
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I can't even imagine how bad I'd feel. I'd end up eating like a king for breakfast, lunch and supper. When I'm at hotels with great continental breakfasts and I know I won't be able to eat for quite a while... and I want to get my money's worth, I eat WAY too much and the trend continues for the day.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Eating breakfast like a king might have made a lot more sense when folks worked hard physically in the fields and so on -- though breakfast was probably not first thing in the morning, but later in the morning. Personally, I think small to medium meals are probably best all day. We're just not that active!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 am

walkerlori, I like your approach! I'm still working on portion control, and that might help me to do a better job of eating smaller portions. I'll have to give it a try.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:57 pm

I've never done well eating a really hearty breakfast, contrary to what the "experts" say.

Maybe if I was eating later, like a brunch.

For me, a big breakfast would be yogurt with flaxseed and maybe a crumbled up breakfast bar stirred in or some fresh fruit.

That would take me to lunch.

minky

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:30 am

I read that comment in the context of how eating less makes you feel more energetic. it seemed a bit contrary to me.

I don't like a huge breakfast - a big meal makes me feel sleepy. I eat a big breakfast and I want to go back to bed - not go out and tackle my day!

I eat a small breakfast about 7.30, a good sized lunch around noon or 2 pm (depending on my schedule), and a slightly larger dinner about 6.30-7 pm.

To me, what works for me is what works - not what some saying recommends.

storm fox

Russian variation of the saying...

Post by storm fox » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:04 pm

The Russian variation of the saying is:
Eat your whole breakfast, share your lunch with a friend, and give your dinner to an enemy. I think walkerlori's approach sounds great for people who thrive by eating a heavier breakfast. Some people seem to do well with this approach, others do well on the opposite approach, and yet others seem to do best with 3 equal meals. That said, I need to get back on the wagon...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm not generally a breakfast eater, but I do eat it on occasion. Something I've noticed is that the smaller my breakfast is, the more moderate my eating the rest of the day. The larger the breakfast, the more I want to eat throughout the day. I'm much more likely to have the desire to snack, even the "need" to snack, on a day I've eaten a "good" breakfast than on the days I don't or it's something very light.

Yesterday I saw two articles about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. I know I've written here about that not being the case in much of the rest of the world. In many places it's the least important meal -- just a little something to "break the fast." That makes sense to me since the first meal after fasting is usually something light.