Newbie Introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJ

Newbie Introduction

Post by RJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 am

Howdy! I've been happily lurking on this forum for awhile, and decided that it was time to come out of hiding and start to post. It's always so nerve-wracking posting for the first time on a new forum, and feeling like you are inserting yourself into an established community. But this one seems pretty friendly, so I'm taking the plunge. :D

I'm a 40-something stay at home mom; I homeschool my two teenage boys which is both wonderful and stressful. I've had a problem with my weight my entire adult life, and done all the diets, just like everyone else. Right now I've got about 80 pounds to lose - yikes. A few years ago I was introduced to the concept of intuitive eating, and knew that it sounded "right", but even so have never quite been able to make it stick. I found No-S last year, and liked the freedom-with-boundaries that it gave me, but I've lacked a strong support/accountability system, and so it's been too easy to just not be 'extremely moderate'.

But, it's the new year, and it's as good a time as any to start over and get it right. I'm currently on my third successful day, and am looking forward to becoming a member of the 21 Club! Gonna get a daily journal and HabitCal going, as well.

Thanks, Reinhard, for the No-S concept and for hosting this terrific forum.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 am

Welcome, RJ! If you want accountability, use the daily check in. Somewhere on these threads there's something called the wannabe club for folks aspiring to the 21 day club. I'll bump it up and post there right beside you! There's also the perfect January challenge.

Nobody here scolds, only gentle support and a LOT of help and suggestions.

Just bumped the wannabe thread up. It's titled Bumping this thread up to resurrect.

Happy Shrinking!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 pm

HI RJ,

I think I recognize you from the FIAR forums. Am I right? I don't post much on any forum but it is fun to "see a familiar face". :wink:

I think this is very sensible and sustainable.

Breann
Wife of 14 years and homeschooling Mama to 4 blessings. DD 9, DS 7, and DBT (dear boy twins) 5.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Welcome, RJ! Good luck with No S-ing and if you have any questions or need support, you know where to find it!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

RJ

Post by RJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 pm

mrsj - thanks for the welcome, and for bumping that thread! That will be my next stop after this post. :)

Breann - aww, no, that's not me. Sadly, mine were beyond the FIAR stage before we ever started homeschooling; it looks like such a great program, and so much support, that it almost makes me want to have more "littles" just so we could use it! (*almost* :wink: ) But, thanks for the welcome, and I agree - sensible and sustainable, which is what I'm looking for.

oliviamanda - thanks! I am looking forward to joining the community, and hopefully someday being wise enough to give support as well as receive it.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:47 am

Welcome RJ!

I also lurked a while before settling down to join in (I still lurk occasionally).

Hope the forum helps you on your journey! Good luck!
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett