What happens when dinner is late?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

used2bskinny

What happens when dinner is late?

Post by used2bskinny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

My problem is that my husband comes in at different times for dinner and I get hungry on the days that he is late. He maybe works out or has a late meeting. Other days he can be home quite early. It is never consistent. I get hungry waiting for late dinnner. :?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I'd do one of two things: fix and eat dinner at a consistent time yourself and warm up the meal for him and sit with him while he eats OR have some kind of snack on the evenings he's late. Most here would suggest a glass of milk, but that's something I'd never do (can't stand milk and don't believe in drinking your calories). I'd suggest a salad -- vegetable or fruit.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Betho

Post by Betho » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

I don't know, I'd just go with 2 smaller dinners so you don't have to be hungry. Maybe some whole grain bread and cheese at your normal eat time, just enough to tide you over until the last possible time he could come home.

Though truth be told, in my family I'm the one who comes home late and I dont expect my family to wait until 8pm to eat. ;)

oolala53

what about lunch?

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 am

Any way to push back lunch so that there are fewer hours until dinner? Also, I told myself that if I had to go more than 6 hours without a meal, that I could have something like a piece of fruit to chomp on or pureed vegetables in soup broth. I want the mini/4th "meal" to be light so that it will get processed quickly and I will feel hungry for a real meal. I don't want to use this default much because i know that any time I increase the number of eating occasions, I increase the likelihood to eat more often on other days, and even overeat. But some days have funny schedules. Some days I am up at 4 a.m. and won't have time to have lunch until noon-thirty. However, coffee with milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a dusting of stevia can be wonderful, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I drink juice. Sometimes a cup of decaf coffee with cream helps, too. You could have a glass of milk.

Also, make sure you are eating a stick-to-your-ribs lunch. If it's too light, you won't make it until dinner.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

used2bskinny

Late DInner

Post by used2bskinny » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your input.

What I ended up doing yesterday was a peanut butter jelly sandwhich on whole wheat which was like that 4th small meal somebody mentioned. (not an ideal choice of food) Then we had our regular dinner at eight. Tonight he is home earlier thank goodness.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm

If you know in advance (by lunch time) that he'll be late, a late lunch can help. I'm "fortunate" in this regard in that my kids will not tolerate deviations of more than half an hour from established mealtimes :-)

Reinhard

staclinusa

Post by staclinusa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:31 pm

As a teacher, lunch is set for me at 11:15 a.m. My husband, a teacher and coach, is at school late every day, so dinner isn't usually until 7:45 p.m. Not only could I not be successful at a diet that forced me to go 8 waking hours without eating, it's just not healthy. So I plan a forth mini-meal of fruit and yogurt or a protein smoothie for the afternoon. It's much more manageable.
Stacey

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 am

I've had occasions where lunch is noon and dinner is 10 hours later. In the early stages of NoS, I couldn't have done it, but now I'm okay with whatever happens. If I started to feel ill, I'd eat something, but I have not had to. usually a cup of tea works - but I don't mind being hungry anymore, either.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 am

Remember that you can leave a blank spot on your plate to indicate the snack that was needed to get you to dinner.

Personally I would try to get by on liquids (juice, milk, water), but it is really up to the individual. What gets one person by is intolerable to another.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

My husband is also late sometimes... but we have a child, who needs to eat and get to bed.

So, we eat whether he's there or not, at our normal dinner time. If he's not home, I set a plate for him in case he arrives in time to join us. If he doesn't, I save him food and busy myself in the kitchen while he eats so we can have some companionable time.

Waiting for him (or not) is a choice. And there are multiple ways to address it - you've gotten good ideas on this thread.