Transformations

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

boogbite

Transformations

Post by boogbite » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:16 am

I'm in my second week of No-S and have been tracking my daily menu and doing some general stalking of threads... and I am feeling really great about this. I got the book in the mail yesterday and I'm enjoying more of the explanations and elaborations that go along with the rules.

I'm 31 and a seasoned dieter. I've done weight watchers countless times, lost as much as 35 pounds but i've only been able to maintain about a 20 pound difference from when i started 3 years ago. The frustration for me is not only the counting but the money i've spent on meetings that did me a lot of good in the beginning but lost their luster after a few months. I also used my points on terrible, un-nutritious foods and found myself starving because of it. I've tried other diets, but they are mainly counting systems, and I have no interest in accounting. (never really gave the forbidden foods diet a go - i knew that wouldn't work out).

One thing that spoke to me in the book is the idea that if I think a diet is something I can't do for the rest of my life I shouldn't bother starting it. No-S is the first thing I've encountered that I can imagine doing for the rest of my life. I feel strong enough to say no to the chocolate cake if I know I can have it in a couple of days.

I was drawn to the No-S diet because of it's simplicity and as the end of my second week draws near I am feeling quite motivated. I'm getting married this summer and I'm not trying to lose a large amount before then but what I really want to do is start out my married life with a new set of skills that i can hone and eventually teach my children.

I appreciate all of the information here, and the supportive environment that this board seems to be. Thanks for reading and I look forward to this journey.
Start date: 11/25/13
Start weight: 163.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 am

It sounds like you're doing great, and that you have a great perspective!

scgal

Post by scgal » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Welcome! I've been doing No-S since November and have lost 2 lbs, then stayed the same during December. This past week was all green! I'm 50 and want to lose 10 lbs.

I am also a former WW life member who lost through the old exchange program. When Heinz bought out WW and they changed the system to points and began pushing food at the centers, it became a challenge and I understand the using points on snacks mentality! Unfortunately, points don't work but WW is the old and respected diet in the world, so people flock to it.

No-S is great! It takes away all of the "chatter" from trying to "measure up" to other diets. My biggest challenge this week was not to buy a mocha at Starbucks, but to wait until this weekend, which I did!! I bought that tea on Wednesday saying to myself that I can make it to Saturday! Other challenges this week were the donuts my son left on the counter for 2 days (!) and the pretzel he bought for me from Auntie Anne's, which got eaten for lunch on Friday instead of an evening snack on Thursday! I love that I have 2 days to eat treats and mine this weekend are the Starbucks mochas and the 1 donut I bought all by itself at the bakery!

Welcome. There are lots of old WW members here!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Welcome! Yes, this is for the long haul. And we'll be normal, or what used to be normal, instead of turning into food banshees.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 am

Welcome to the forum! (and the diet too...)

It sounds like you already have some willpower experience if you've managed to maintain a 20# difference.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett