full bars

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MB

full bars

Post by MB » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 pm

I just recently bought a box of "Full Bars". Has anyone heard of these. I eat one in the afternoon before supper because that is my hungriest time of day. In fact lately I have been eating fast food every afternoon bc I am starving after school. These bars are supposed to fill you up and make you eat less and they really work. They are sweet tasting but I wouldnt say they would be considered a sweet bc they dont taste so great and they have a substantial amount of fiber. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I am just starving before supper.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I've never heard of these but my general opinion of the various bars is that they're candy bars masquerading as health food.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Plus, that's still a snack... if you're hungry before dinner, eat a larger lunch or change the types of food you eat at lunch to more filling ones.

CrazyCatLady

Re: full bars

Post by CrazyCatLady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:56 pm

MB wrote:They are sweet tasting but I wouldnt say they would be considered a sweet bc they dont taste so great and they have a substantial amount of fiber.
Don't eat foods that don't taste so great. Eat yummy delicious food, you deserve it! If you decide to add a fourth meal between lunch and dinner, I would make it something pleasant. Yogurt, fruit or nuts would work for me.

Also, remember that you can have caloric liquids, so maybe a small bottled juice or glass of milk would help instead of the extra meal.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:46 pm

The first ingredient in all of the varieties is brown rice syrup and most have honey, agave, sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup as ingredients as well. They are candy bars.

They also contain hydrogenated and fractionated oils. They have unpronounceable ingredients.

Hover cursor over the plus sign for ingredients and nutrition info.

If a caloric beverage doesn't do it for you, I'd suggest a small fourth meal -- maybe berries, yogurt and some nuts or cheese, crackers and some fruit.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 am

First of all, congratulations on finding out that you are starving before dinner. That means you pushed yourself to fast between meals.

As one of the other posters said, drink milk or juice to tide you over until supper. Better not to chew. Do swish the liquid around in your mouth before swallowing. "Chew your juice and drink your food."

Also, Reinhard has said that in certain situations, such as long gaps between meals or medical conditions, it may be appropriate to have a 4th meal, perhaps one on a smaller plate. I know a nearby high school's lunch time is 11:30 a.m., which means a pretty long stretch if your family eats at 6 or later. If altering what you have for lunch or drinking a beverage doesn't work, consider a small meal, and make it real food. But remember, eat only enough so that you will still be hungry for dinner. One of the habits you want to get your body to adjust to is rewarding hunger with food at predictable times. Many fat people eat when they are not hungry and in response to many other cues. But it is also good to eat with others. Keep working on finding a way to space your meals that works for both hunger and sharing meals.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leftoutdoors

Nature Valley oats n honey bars

Post by leftoutdoors » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on these Nature Valley, oats n honey bars (green foil packaging)? I can fit them on my lunch plate....but at 13gms sugar, are they considered sweets? Thanks,
Geoff

wosnes

Re: Nature Valley oats n honey bars

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm

leftoutdoors wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on these Nature Valley, oats n honey bars (green foil packaging)? I can fit them on my lunch plate....but at 13gms sugar, are they considered sweets? Thanks,
Geoff
That would be a little over a tablespoon of sugar in each granola bar, so it's iffy. But in terms of sugar they're no worse than the muffins I make and eat at breakfast.

lelovelady

Re: Nature Valley oats n honey bars

Post by lelovelady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm

leftoutdoors wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on these Nature Valley, oats n honey bars (green foil packaging)? I can fit them on my lunch plate....but at 13gms sugar, are they considered sweets? Thanks,
Geoff
Well, I think it depends on your personal taste. To me, they're a sweet, as are (unfortunately) their trail mix ones with nuts and dried fruits. But that's just me ... they're sweet enough to my taste that they taste like a sweet and trigger my sweet cravings.

Everyone is different. If they don't taste sweet to you, and don't trigger rebound sweet cravings, then I'd say they're a "maybe" food ... which you probably are okay eating but probably don't want to overdo.

Good luck!

Laura L.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 am

They are in the candy bar category for me, but you must make your own decision.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 pm

I just went to their website, which is pretty cool and very inviting. Eating a bar in between meals does not fit into the No S plan. I would eat them on the weekends, or at mealtime with my meal. Although these seem by far a healthier alternative to other bars... just look at the selection of flavors you have to choose from... they are all sweet and dessert-sounding. Definitely a sweet and a snack wrapped up in one.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain