REINHARD!!! LOOK!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

REINHARD!!! LOOK!!

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Check out the very last paragraph of Jane Brody's column! Time to contact Jane Brody!! You've got the attention of two people with influence now.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TunaFishKid

Re: REINHARD!!! LOOK!!

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

wosnes wrote:Check out the very last paragraph of Jane Brody's column! Time to contact Jane Brody!! You've got the attention of two people with influence now.
Perhaps I’ll try the so-called S policy Mr. Pollan says some people follow: “No snacks, no seconds, no sweets — except on days that begin with the letter S.â€
Yes, but they STILL haven't credited him! I'm furious, and I'm not even Reinhard!

Somebody DO something!

ETA: I just realized I was somebody, so I did something. :) I emailed Ms. Brody with a link to NoSdiet.com. (Frankly, I'm still a little pissed. You'd think she might have googled the term or idea. I know I would have, before writing about it. "Journalists". :roll:)
~ Laura ~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
wosnes wrote:Check out the very last paragraph of Jane Brody's column! Time to contact Jane Brody!! You've got the attention of two people with influence now.
Perhaps I’ll try the so-called S policy Mr. Pollan says some people follow: “No snacks, no seconds, no sweets — except on days that begin with the letter S.â€
Yes, but they STILL haven't credited him! I'm furious, and I'm not even Reinhard!

Somebody DO something!

ETA: I just realized I was somebody, so I did something. :) I emailed Ms. Brody with a link to NoSdiet.com. (Frankly, I'm still a little pissed. You'd think she might have googled the term or idea. I know I would have, before writing about it. "Journalists". :roll:)
I commented on Well (where the link to Jane Brody's article is) and left the 13 word description and a link. Others could comment there, too! I'm not sure that either Michael Pollan or Jane Brody knew where it came from. I know Reinhard emailed Pollan, but it was after the book came out.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 am

Wow, this is thrilling (and simultaneously infuriating!)

I've become anonymously famous. :-)

Still, I'll take it over no New York times quote any day.

I emailed Jane Brody -- fingers crossed it makes it past her screener(s). She does seem genuinely interested. It doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility to imagine her explicitly acknowledging (or even reviewing!) No S.

Thanks so much all who commented/emailed (or have yet to comment/email)! Of course an author is going to take notice of an unattributed quotation -- it's much more meaningful if his readers do.

Reinhard

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 am

Reinhard,
It's a big compliment that two of the most well-known nutrition experts think your concept wasn't invented but rather evolved. Those two experts may well be surprised to learn that someone who never got training as a nutritionist and in fact is in an entirely different line of work came up with an idea that seems both memorable and effective. Don't be surprised if people go looking for this idea in publications that pre-date yours!
Kathleen

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm

wosnes wrote:I'm not sure that either Michael Pollan or Jane Brody knew where it came from. I know Reinhard emailed Pollan, but it was after the book came out.
I think Michael Pollan did know, at some stage. I'm pretty sure that Reinhard's NoS was explicitly referenced by some posters to Michael Pollan's request for food rules.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP5pCcCbw5s

From this radio interview of Michael Pollan:

"I realized that there is this whole cultural repository of food wisdom that we've denigrated...things we've heard from our parents or grandparents or great-grandparents and that really culture may have more to teach us about how to eat than medicine right now. So I'm trying to collect these and preserve these, whatever wisdom there is..."

Reinhard, I suspect you were not identified as the source of the S policy because Pollan assumed that it came from "this whole cultural respository of food wisdom."

Kathleen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I am flattered, no question!

I'd just really like to be flattered by name, is all :-)

If anyone else feels moved to remind/inform Jane Brody, Michael Pollan, and/or the New York times of the source of this particular bit of food wisdom, here are some urls/email adresses to make it easy:

Email Jane Brody:

http://www.nytimes.com/gst/emailus.html

Email Michael Pollan:

http://journalism.berkeley.edu/contact/pollan/

NY Times letters to the Editor:

letters@nytimes.com

The "well" blog that links to the Jane Brody article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/0 ... to-eat-by/

Sorry for being so crassly self-promoting, but everyone I've discussed this with is harassing me not to let this opportunity pass by.

Thanks again Tunafishkid, wosnes, and everyone else who has already done some nudging on behalf of the No S Diet.

Best,

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, count another set of letters to Mr. Pollan and Ms. Brody. Others here have done a good job of blogging, so I just made a note on his Amazon.com review page with that information as well.

Lazy little stinker.

Laura L.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 pm

reinhard wrote:If anyone else feels moved remind/inform Jane Brody, Michael Pollan, and/or the New York times of the source of this particular bit of food wisdom, here are some urls/email adresses to make it easy
Great idea, Reinhard.

Like TunaFishKid, I'm angry on your behalf. I've posted to all of them, and there are comments about NoS building up on the "well" blog already.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:44 pm

reinhard wrote: Sorry for being so crassly self-promoting, but everyone I've discussed this with is harassing me not to let this opportunity pass by.
Crassly self-promoting? Reinhard, you're too damn nice for your own good. If this happened to me I'd be thinking "lawsuit"!
~ Laura ~

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm

My daughter put it well, I think. "It's such a little thing, only a few words. You can imagine that someone might think, it doesn't matter if I take it. But that's the point: it's honed."

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 pm

I emailed Jane Brody and Michael Pollan as well. I really hope that Reinhard is credited for his plan and that No S gets the official attention that it deserves.

sevenoclk

Post by sevenoclk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks for the links. I emailed/posted.
Sevenoclk
150/?/130

Vanilla No S for me
Gluten and casein free due to health issues.
Often go moderately low carb because that is how my husband chooses to eat.
Glad to be back!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 am

TunaFishKid wrote: Reinhard, you're too damn nice for your own good.
He is!!! :lol:

8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am

Wow, I just read the article.. it almost sounds like she's giving Michael Pollan credit for NoS...

No no no!!! That won't do at all..
I'm gonna write her too.

That's not cool.

Reinhard you will not be anonymously famous for long. We'll all see that you get *FULL* credit. It's your diet concept and your name should have been mentioned.

Good catch Wosnes!! :wink:

8) Debs

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Wow, I just read the article.. it almost sounds like she's giving Michael Pollan credit for NoS...
If she's only familiar with the idea through Food Rules, she'd give him credit because Pollan didn't give a source. Even if she googled it, she wouldn't come up with No-S.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Reinhard,

You have a brilliant idea. You also have a young family, so you don't see from my perspective just how brilliant of an idea you have. The Jane Brody and Michael Pollans of the world probably would not have referenced your idea had they known it was invented and not handed down from older generations. They'll have to acknowledge that this idea came from you. They probably missed that it was invented because it is a single letter "S".

The whole culture is focused on "portion control" and lots of little meals during the day. This leads to an obsession with food and the feeling that you are always hungry.

When I was in elementary school, only the kindergarteners had snacks. Now the kids have snacks all the way through elementary school and even kids in junior high have snacks at least one per week plus to celebrate birthdays and holidays like Valentine's Day. It's sad. We're raising a generation of kids who think they have to eat every few hours, or it's a crises. ("You need to keep your blood sugar up." "If you don't have snacks, you'll become ravenous and overeat.") The results are obvious. Michelle Obama is now tackling childhood obesity, and I hope she comes across your idea.

I also posted on Jane Brody's site and emailed Michael Pollan. We'll help get the message out that this idea came from you. It is such a brilliant idea that two of the highest regarded nutritionists in the world thought it was "cultural wisdom." You'll get on Oprah yet!!!

Kathleen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:26 pm

One of the things that has struck me from Pollan's writing is the similarity between the principles of No-S and the wisdom of "our mothers and grandmothers and more distant ancestors, which is another way of saying, on tradition and culture." That wisdom varied a little from place to place, even home to home, but was essentially the same. Of course, the mothers and grandmothers addressed the "what" of eating as well as the "how and when."

GO COLTS!
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:43 pm

I, too, wrote to both Brody and Pollan. In both cases, I pointed them to your site and book, and emphasized that although the general idea may seem like common sense, they have (mis)quoted it using almost exactly your words, Reinhard, and they should be aware that this phrasing didn't just happen, it's the result of careful crafting on your part. With Pollan, I emphasized that he of all people should know how much effort it takes to polish up a concise nugget of eating wisdom like his "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants" -- that's a good one, and of course he wouldn't want it to be referenced by someone saying "Some people suggest following an 'eat food' policy where you eat not too much food, mostly plants". (I didn't actually include that in my letter, but maybe I should have.)

Anyway, for what it's worth, they've got at least a few letters about this, so far!

[Edit: It strikes me as odd that neither of those sites actually sends you a copy of the message, though they both require you to enter your email address. It seems only polite to cc the sender when you pass on the message, especially when they're making you use a web-based form rather than real email.]

weimanxi

Post by weimanxi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm

I looked up the diet based on the NYTimes reference...and stayed up way too late exploring your site. Now a member, and on day one.

Excellent system! I promise to eventually buy the book, too.

BTW, is an unsweetened latte a snack, or a beverage?

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 pm

weimanxi wrote:an unsweetened latte
You just answered your own question :D Welcome!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 pm

You guys are great. Thank you Deb, Dave, Kathleen, lelovelady, Steven, Sophia, and Too Solid Flesh!

Welcome, weimanxi!

And thank you for making the effort to dig up the source of that reference. I hope you'll find it to have been worthwhile.

On vanilla No-s, an unsweetened latte would be allowed; snacks are solid. Yes, liquids can have calories too, but if you stick with the unsweetened variety, you're unlikely, big picture, to consume them to excess. It's about putting the right high level behavioral structures in place rather.

Reinhard

weimanxi

Post by weimanxi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for answering my question about the latte.

I raved and raved about the diet and systems to my husband, who has a similar behavior/calorie modification spreadsheet that never worked for me. We decided that you must be an INT?, (like us...)

We used to refer to feast days and fast days, but had too many feast days. This diet defines them, which is so helpful.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 pm

I just googled no snacks, no sweets and no seconds and nosdiet.com was the first link listed. I already emailed her, but I wish now I had included that suggestion. I'll be going home soon and will include that in my emails to the other links.

Actually, I thought Reinhard was already famous. Maybe just in our little world?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 am

oolala53 wrote:I just googled no snacks, no sweets and no seconds and nosdiet.com was the first link listed.
I was just coming to post the exact same thing! I am appalled at the laziness of so many so-called journalists. I would never have written that column without googling around to see where the "so called S policy" came from. I never email or post anything without vetting it first. And I don't get paid!!

Until now I haven't talked much about No S to my friends and acquaintances, but that's going to change. I am making it my mission to spread the word AND make sure Reinhard gets the credit - IRL, and online. No S has really changed my life and I'm not just being dramatic. The effects go far beyond weight loss. My blood pressure is down, my stress level is down, I rarely if ever take TUMS for heartburn anymore, and my days are more productive and fullfilling. I have redecorated my living room, walk for exercise and enjoyment every day, and read more than I used to. Before No S all my time was wrapped up in dieting, reading diet books and forums, binge eating, hating myself, and basically driving myself crazy.

Reinhard, you did something great for me, and you deserve the credit. I am going to do my best to make sure you get it.
~ Laura ~

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 am

TunaFishKid wrote:No S has really changed my life and I'm not just being dramatic. The effects go far beyond weight loss. My blood pressure is down, my stress level is down, I rarely if ever take TUMS for heartburn anymore, and my days are more productive and fullfilling. I have redecorated my living room, walk for exercise and enjoyment every day, and read more than I used to. Before No S all my time was wrapped up in dieting, reading diet books and forums, binge eating, hating myself, and basically driving myself crazy.
That is a fantastic post, TunaFishKid! Something for the testimonials page?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Michael Pollan just sent me an email!

He wrote that he'd taken the S rules to be a "meme at large" floating around the net and hadn't realized that they were a consciously devised, published system. He would have happily credited me if he had -- and is going to look into doing so in the next printing.

He also mentioned that mine wasn't the only email he received on the subject, so THANK YOU guys!

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Good for Michael Pollan! It would have been nice if he had done a little more checking into it earlier on, but I'm glad he's going to make it right. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

reinhard wrote:Michael Pollan just sent me an email!

He wrote that he'd taken the S rules as a "meme at large" floating around the net and hadn't realized that they were a consciously devised, published system. He would have happily credited me if he had -- and is going to look into doing so in the next printing.

He also mentioned that mine wasn't the only email he received on the subject, so THANK YOU guys!

Reinhard
That's great! So, in addition to being intelligent, he's a person of character.

When I first read that he would look into changing that in the next printing, I read "next spring" and couldn't figure out why spring was so important. :oops:

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Wow, great news, and quite right too. Congratulations, Reinhard.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Even if he just mentions it in further interviews -- that could be HUGE! Hmmm...it's also possible that he's reading all this.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:59 pm

That's fantastic! Congratulations again Reinhard! :D

Shannon

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:45 pm

reinhard wrote:Michael Pollan just sent me an email!

He wrote that he'd taken the S rules to be a "meme at large" floating around the net and hadn't realized that they were a consciously devised, published system. He would have happily credited me if he had -- and is going to look into doing so in the next printing.

Reinhard
WOO HOOOO!!!!! :D
That's *FANTASTIC* Reinhard!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

8) Debs xx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Dang, that was pretty fast! Actually, wouldn't the two of you make an interesting pair: Michael, the food guru, and Reinhard, the habit guru.

I've seen your/Reinhard's picture and I've heard some podcasts. I think you/he would make good TV. Especially if you were able to keep the nice mix of being kind, logical, and wry. Not everyone is ready for the message, but it would be a godsend to many, and so much better than diet-of-the-week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 pm

oolala53 wrote:I've seen your/Reinhard's picture and I've heard some podcasts. I think you/he would make good TV. Especially if you were able to keep the nice mix of being kind, logical, and wry. Not everyone is ready for the message, but it would be a godsend to many, and so much better than diet-of-the-week.
I think he'd be great, too.

The possibility of bringing Reinhard to Oprah's attention has been raised in the past. If anybody is interested in doing so, a link for making suggestions for Oprah is here:

http://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=216

If a number of us contact the show, they might take some notice.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Great news,

I had emailed him (and Jane) as well.

When one works as hard as you do, Reinhard, to share what knowledge and wisdom gained - it should be acknowledged.

I appreciate that you actively care about your plan, your site and your "followers".

Berry

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Too solid flesh,

Thanks for the link to the Oprah show. I emailed my suggestion for a show. AFter 33 years of restrictive eating, I so appreciate the sanity of this diet, and I so empathize with the Kirstie Alleys of the world who try so hard to lose weight and only gain it. This diet is for them, just like it has been for me, and I so hope Oprah showcases it!

Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K_Dill

Post by K_Dill » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Greetings!

Just wanted to drop by and say I added my voice to the NY times article, about you receiving proper credit for your work.

As a practicing "No S'er" I often recommend your plan to others when they ask how I keep from being fat while being able to eat what I want. I'm not perfect or ripped by any means, by with the concept of structured moderation, I was able to lose and now maintain a healthy weight.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 pm

This is further inspiring me, as I have been No S-ing officially since Jan. 1 and the scale is fluctuating downward. I want to keep going not only because this is restoring my sanity but on the off chance that Reinhard will need some low-range weight loss success stories to appear with him on Oprah.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:31 am

I read Pollen's "Omnivore's Dilemma" a few years ago. I thought he sounded like a reasonable person.

Reinhard, I'm glad he got back to you and will revise his next printing.

Congrats and thanks

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I received an email from Michael Pollan's assistant saying: "Penguin is adding a footnote referencing Mr. Engels’s book in future printings." YAY! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:46 am

Me, too!

Here is the text:
Hello Maggi,
I’m Malia, Michael Pollan's assistant.Thanks for your email and your
feedback on the mention of the "No S Diet" in Michael’s new book Food
Rules. Michael heard of the "No S Diet" from a reader, who did not
mention Reinhard Engels’s book. Michael chose to include the catchy
mnemonic unaware that Mr. Engels had originated it. Penguin is adding
a footnote referencing Mr. Engels’s book in future printings. Again,
thanks for your email and for your interest in Michael’s work.
Best regards,
Malia
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:
I think he'd be great, too.

The possibility of bringing Reinhard to Oprah's attention has been raised in the past. If anybody is interested in doing so, a link for making suggestions for Oprah is here:

http://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=216

If a number of us contact the show, they might take some notice.
I have been wanting Oprah to take notice of Reinhard and the NoS Diet for a long time. Thank you for the link...I just sent in my request for Oprah to have Reinhard on the show as her guest so he can tell the world about NoS!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm thrilled, absolutely thrilled!

Well done!

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

That is wonderful news!
~ Laura ~

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat May 22, 2010 11:00 pm

A newer edition of Food Rules is being released. I preordered it from The Book Depository a few months ago and just received word that it will be shipping soon. I'm excited to see if it has been edited to give Reinhard credit. :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for letting us know, sophiasapientia.

Fingers crossed!

(my amazon.com sales rank seems to be creeping up again, possibly related?)

Reinhard

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:22 am

I haven't been to the noS site in months and tonight began reading posts. This subject reads like a soap opera! there is tension..there is suspense..intrigue..and..a happy ending!! Wow!! what we can do when we pull together ! good work guys!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:43 am

Just to update: I received the book. It was a UK-edition of Food Rules, released May 27, and did not include the correction, unfortunately. :( Hopefully we'll see it in future editions.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs