Fourth Meal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Brent_Corkins

Fourth Meal

Post by Brent_Corkins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 am

Hi! I was just wandering if anyone has added a fourth meal to your day. Considering I am pre-diabetic and I Have a really long period between the time I eat lunch and get home to eat dinner. I drive a delivery route for a furniture company . My deliveries are set up between 9-12 and 1-5 . so I am facing 6-7 hours at a time between meals. I considered Protein or Zone bars, I settled on fiber one bars. They are a little sweet like. So I will find a better alternative. But wasn't thinking when I bought them and a I hate to waste. Anyone else had the same problem or had to do the same?

Today's Meals

A bowl of Raisin Bran and OJ

Turkey Sandwich , a apple @ yogurt

Fiber one bar

Double turkey cheeseburger on whole wheat with pretty much a salad on top.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 am

You're not eating much at your meals! I'm a not extremely active older, smaller woman and I eat about the same amount at breakfast (when I eat it) and lunch as you. My dinners are smaller, though.

Before adding a fourth meal, consider eating more at your meals. I'd ditch the fiber bars, they're not as healthy as we're encouraged to believe.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Re: Fourth Meal

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Brent_Corkins wrote:I was just wandering if anyone has added a fourth meal to your day.
I am facing 6-7 hours at a time between meals.
Anyone else had the same problem or had to do the same?
There are many forum members who have made the choice to add a very small 4th meal.
It is an individual matter, but those who have had success with this,
make that 4th meal very small, like a stick of string cheese and/or an apple or some thing similiar,
and do not consider that 4th meal a "snack".

If you do not consider a meal replacement bar, like a Zone bar or a Fiber-one bar to be a Sweet;
if you are always able to limit them to one;
and if you aren't really into "natural" or unprocessed foods,
there's really no reason why you can't choose to eat one at any mealtime.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 pm

That's a lot of sugar in your first meal. If you're pre-diabetic, it is important to control (not necessarily eliminate) carbs, especially the refined variety.

You may find that adding more protein to your meals keeps you satisfied longer making a fourth meal unnecessary.

Joel

burnnotice

4th meal

Post by burnnotice » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 pm

When I take night classes, I do not get home until 11 PM. I try to eat a small dinner around 5 (typically sandwich/fruit), then at home I allow myself another small 'dinner' which is usually toast with PB, or maybe yogurt with fruit. I wish I could just go to bed, but usually I need at least an hour to unwind before trying to fall asleep.

I think for this sort of situation, you have to be careful. I would envision it is more of a crafted event splitting the amount of food from one usual meal into 2 timed events This sort of modification takes a lot of thought & preparation.
Me
The Client

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:31 am

Remember, too, that you can drink milk. I'm finding that it makes a big difference for long hauls. It takes awhile to kick in but 8 oz. of 2% or higher fat can tide me over an hour or two. I often make a cafe au lait, heavy on the lait, sometimes with 2 t. cocoa powder and a smidgeon of stevia. Esp. nice in cold weather.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 pm

The same thought occurred to me as to Joel. That is a lot of sugar, not just in the first meal, but in all of them, especially for someone who's pre-diabetic. You may need a fourth meal, but I'd revamp the meals first to eliminate sugar - including sugary/carby bars - add more natural fats and good protein sources and go from there.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 pm

On workdays, I allow myself the option of a small meal at 11am.

My rule is that it *has* to be really healthy food, and I can only have the meal if I'm genuinely hungry. My job is very physical, and we all take this little break. Everyone eats a little something, and everyone is slim.