Interprandial Hunger

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

john

Interprandial Hunger

Post by john » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:45 pm

I read the "Sooooooo Hungry ...." entry with continued interest. I have posted my problem with gnawing hunger between meals several times. As a matter of fact I gave up on the diet . I am going to try again and hope my hunger abates after two months this time.

My question is concerning coffee. I drink alot of strong coffee throughout the day because of hypersomnia and my sedentary job as Medical Coder.
I wonder if you have found coffee to be useful or harmful in reducing hunger?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi John,

Caffeine is supposedly an appetite suppressant, so I'd imagine it would help.

I'd also imagine the "ritual" of drinking coffee would be helpful. You come to associate "break time" with coffee instead of food (or cigarettes).

I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee a day.

Are you still drinking "h2Orange" between meals? Is/was that at all helpful?

I know you mentioned adding a 4th "mini meal" didn't help...

Sorry this isn't coming more easily. I do think that as habit builds most people will be able retrain their hunger to coincide with meals. You mention two months as your current goal. How long were you able to hold out last time?

Reinhard

Kevin

Re: Interprandial Hunger

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm

In my experience, coffee jerks with your blood glucose (Bg). It makes your body digest food much more quickly, spiking your Bg and insulin production, then driving down your Bg making you hungry.

Just my observation. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic using an insulin pump (I have good reason to notice the small things that upset my Bg). I think this could be applicable to the endocrine-advantaged, too. YMMV, of course.

The best substitute I've found for drinking coffee is hot water. Decaf usually tastes terrible. If you are worried about being sleepy, drink ice water.

Have you wondered if your hypersomnia is a symptom of drinking too much coffee? Like people that take too much analgesic start getting overly-sensitive to pain?

Honestly, at this point, I am almost never hungry between meals, and that was not the case when I started this: I was ravenous. I get hungry, but then it goes away, meaning I wasn't *really* hungry. My one and only problem, still, is I eat when I'm not busy.
john wrote:I read the "Sooooooo Hungry ...." entry with continued interest. I have posted my problem with gnawing hunger between meals several times. As a matter of fact I gave up on the diet . I am going to try again and hope my hunger abates after two months this time.

My question is concerning coffee. I drink alot of strong coffee throughout the day because of hypersomnia and my sedentary job as Medical Coder.
I wonder if you have found coffee to be useful or harmful in reducing hunger?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Like Kevin, I don't find hunger a problem anymore, and I used to get headachy and shaky if I went a few hours without food. Today I didn't get lunch until nearly 3, and it wasn't a big deal. I was very hungry at about 10, but it went away and didn't return until I actually started fixing lunch.

If I do get hungry in the afternoon - though it's more likely that habit of eating something when I get home - I have a cup of tea. I don't know if coffee would be different, but tea does work in my case.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 pm

I do really appreciate your replies, thank you.

I drink about 10 cups of coffee a day(80 ounces). The H2orange didn't help, and the whole milk helped only slightly. The 4th "mini meal" didn't do much either, just postponed the hunger more effectively than the H2orange or milk. I was able to hold out for 4 weeks the last time. I was so pleased with my weight loss but the self-discipline required just seemed excessive to do for the rest of my life. Anyway, I am going to grit my teeth and try for the 8 week mark and hope the hunger lessens.

Has anybody tried V8 juice with benefiber for satiety?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I don't know what your meals are like, but I found that adding just two teaspoons of oil to my lunch, if I already wasn't having cheese or a less lean meat, made a big difference in the afternoon. What about having a whole glass of milk in addition to your coffee midway between meals? And I have found mixing fiber into beverages helps.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 pm

I've read mixed opinions on this but I've found that coffee /caffeine, which I have in moderate amounts, helps reduce hunger between meals.

With that said, you may want to talk to your doctor and see what s/he says about the 10 cups you're drinking. I looked up hypersomnia and read that "Patients should avoid alcohol and caffeine." Also, I have 2 sisters with moderate cases of IBS -- I think you mentioned you have that on the Soooo Hungry thread -- and I know that they've been advised to stay away from coffee. It may be worth checking into to see if drinking that much coffee is a good idea and if there are better ways to help your symptoms. :?:

In terms of hunger, how long do you stay full after meals? Which time of the day is the most difficult for you?
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Very interesting issue.

I agree with those who say that balanced meals, containing veg / fat (very important) / protein and some carbs go a long way for hunger. For me what REALLY increases my hunger is sugar & desserts & too many snacks. THe more sugary snacks I eat the more hungry I get, its absolutely clear to me. I agree with Reinhardt & the others, if you stick to NoS say for 1 month straight, it'll go a long way to cure those hunger pangs. It worked for me, I'm very clear about how the change worked, and now that I've put some of that weight back on it was purely due to too many sugary snacks. (See my separate post if you want for my story).

As for caffeinated drinks, I think they help control hunger more because of the whole 'ritual' involved if you see what I mean: sitting down, having something, etc. However, I would be wary if I were you of the 10 cups coffee a day. I would get advice from a dr on that or research it online, I'm certain 10 cups must be too much & must be messing with your sleep one way or another.

Good luck!
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I agree that you should check on the coffee amounts, especially with your medical issues.

In addition, if hunger is that much of a problem, take a look at the following:
- What are you eating for meals? Is is enough?
- Are they healthy/balanced, with some carbs/protein/fat/fiber/veg?

By 4 weeks, I would have expected the intense hunger to drop. However, I was really, really, really used to snacking when I started, and had to phase out snacks gradually - like weaning a baby. Started with the easiest to skip, then limited the "hard" one to a set list of reasonable items, then eventually dropped it. So, you may approach it that way at first. But do take a look at how WHAT you're eating affects your blood sugar, and do check on the coffee.

Good luck!

john

Post by john » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Thank you. The two teaspoons of oil idea intrigues me!!! Perhaps I will try adding olive oil. My meals are fairly well balanced except for perhaps too little fat so I will play around with that variable. I also will see if I can function at the computer all day afteer reducing my "cowboy coffee" (strong)

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:21 pm

I was so pleased with my weight loss but the self-discipline required just seemed excessive to do for the rest of my life.
This makes it sounds like you weren't eating enough. With regular meals, you should feel hungry for every meal, and during gradual weight loss, a little more hunger generally. Restrictive diets work because they trade quite a bit of hunger for quite a bit of loss--maybe you accidentally went on one of these at the same time you started no s. Maybe it's the fat itself, but it could just be overall quantity.

It's great to have pleasing results, but trading them for regular results and a sustainable habit is what no s is about.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:49 am

I'm the poster of the soooo hungry post and wanted to give some advice from experience.

First, I agree with everyone else on the amounts of coffee. Way too much! I also have found that I if work really hard to exclude calorie-laden beverages, unless I'm feeling really hungry and still have some time till my next meal, I don't feel nearly as hungry. Sometimes all those liquid calories can sabotage my efforts.

Second, drink lots and lots of water instead. I find that a very large glass (a spaghetti sauce jar, turned glass in my case) first thing once you wake up goes a long, long way in helping with hunger. Which, come to think of it, if you're drinking 10 cups of coffee a day, you are almost certainly dehydrated. So I would recommend an equal sized cup of water for every cup of coffee and slowly, maybe a cup a week or two, reduce the number.

Third, and don't underestimate this, get plenty of fat, veggies, protein, and whole-grain/high-fiber carbs with every meal. It will help your hunger in between meals. I only started on the 6th of Jan and I already have lost 5.5 lbs. And I eat butter, good amounts of meat, full fat cheese, milk, and yogurt, as well as, tons of homemade bread (white and whole grain).

Try these few mods and it should help. Also, I know for some it helps, but I'm kind of wary of H2Orange. It seems possible it could set some up for failure. Especially those who are very sensitive to sugar. I would put some lemon or lime juice in my water instead. Also, check the sugary and high glycemic carbs/foods that may be in your diet. I hope you can get your hunger under control and make No S work for you.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:28 am

I'm a great advocate of balanced meals. I think a common mistake is to view the foods on your plate separately: that's not how food works. The more protein you eat, the more water your body needs to process it; if you eat vegetables with it, you get that water in the meal and, as a result, digestion is more efficient. Starchy foods are broken down and absorbed most efficiently for energy, but the enzymes required can only be manufactured if the body has the right balance of proteins.

The practical upshot of the above is that eating three square meals a day provides a framework which self-regulates. A well-balanced plate is efficiently processed by your body and should stop you from craving further nutrients in the form of snacks. Once you're sure your food intake is balanced and healthy, if you're still hungry too soon, eat more. I've come to enjoy hunger now; it heightens the experience of the next meal.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.