Help a Newbie Please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

accmom

Help a Newbie Please

Post by accmom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm on Day 3 of No S and so far every day has been a success. I do have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.
Would a glass of milk or a glass of V8 be considered a snack?
I've been doing well at drinking water but sometimes I would like something different. I am not interested in drinking a diet coke. If I'm going to have one, I want the real thing, which of course means waiting for an S day. Plus for me, breaking the coke habit is a really big deal so i don't want to substitute it with a new habit. I have tried a couple of different Crystal Light mixes and don't care for those. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
My apologies for a question I'm sure has been answered a hundred times.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:54 pm

I just tried to find it and I can't -- but beverages such as milk and juices are the only acceptable things to consume between meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

I personally would not do the milk. I save it for my meals. How about unsweetened ice tea? That's what I am using to break my soda addiction. No calories, no sugar, and all natural. I think V8 would be better, just don't get the super sugary kind made with fruit.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I posted this last year.

I don't drink milk at all and rarely juice. I also don't recommend anything made with artificial sweeteners.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

rose

Post by rose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Milk is officially authorized. I don't know about V8. Anyway, if it's just one glass per day to break the monotony of plain water, it should be no big deal.

You could also try herbal tea, or (if you can find it) a sugar-free additive such as natural liquorice extract (2-3 drops per glass of water).

For instance I usually drink
- Mint herbal tea at breakfast (unsweetened)
- water all day long, sometimes flavoured with liquorice extract
- a single cup of hot cocoa in the afternoon (some would consider it a modification of the diet, however adding sugar to a cup of coffee is allowed, so why not a single, _small_ cup of hot cocoa?)
- Mint or chamomile herbal tea after diner (unsweetened)

accmom

Post by accmom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate your help!