From "What I Weigh Today"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

From "What I Weigh Today"

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:17 pm

I think this is the last post on this blog.

This and this are good, too.

I'm personally tired of stick-figure actresses and models. Too many of us try to emulate that, and I don't think it's healthy -- or attractive.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 pm

I went and read several of her previous posts - sad really (altho I totally identify) So much angst over bouncing from 149 to 152, etc. back and forth.

THREE POUNDS :(

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I always find it interesting when I see photos or films of women in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, especially if they are in swimsuits. They look great, but as that blogger points out, you'd never see a body like that on film today.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:00 pm

That's pretty depressing that the author of the one blog believes that the women would be considered heavy --- by today's standards. Even at my best, 133, I don't look like those women!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:16 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:I went and read several of her previous posts - sad really (altho I totally identify) So much angst over bouncing from 149 to 152, etc. back and forth.

THREE POUNDS :(
I notice it here, though, too.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Yeah, sadly, I am one of those who when thinking rationally realize that obsession is obsession whether it is three pounds, thirty pounds or three hundred pounds.

Same wasted energy when one could be doing something more worthwhile.

Sad indeed :cry:

ETA, Went back as far as her blog showed on the screen (Dec 2008 - her weight was 153, one pound different from her latest post.)

Was thinking about my beautiful sister, died at the age of 42 of ovarian cancer. She was very petite and worried about being a six instead of a 4 most of her life, always trying to lose those final pounds.

She died weighing about 70. What the heck are we doing to ourselves anyway?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm

There are a couple of things she (Joy, the blog author) said that struck me:
On the one hand, I know it’s very important that if women are ever really going to enjoy equal rights with men this punishing and relentless scrutiny and objectification of our bodies must stop, and nothing that ingrained stops without analysis and discussion. On the other hand, when I think about the hours, years, decades of my life that have been sacrificed to body loathing and dieting, I just don’t want to surrender another second to it.
And speaking of where she is now:
It’s not a place of total acceptance but it is a place where I don’t feel the need to eat a low calorie diet. It is a place where I can see that deprivation and virtue and thinness are not all the same thing.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 pm

I was reading on one of the home pages, Yahoo or MSN I guess - a story about Britney Spears and her "curves".

She said she has learned to accept the fact that after having two babies, she no longer has the body she did before. She is now a larger size and just has to accept her fate.

She is now a six, no longer a four. :shock: