vegetables seconds?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

schmiddtty

vegetables seconds?

Post by schmiddtty » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:45 am

I am brand new to the site and to No S...here's my question. Does dabbling in more vegetables after the plate is empty count as seconds?
MJ

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes. But steamed veggies are not a serious infraction, are they? If on the other hand they are coverer in butter or cheese, look out!!! Major violation!

I love cooked vegetables, and to avoid the temptation to reach for seconds, I fill a full half of my plate with them, then add little portions of the rest of my meal.

"No seconds" means that (ideally!) we stick to the "one plate rule" on no-s days, and maybe save second helpings to enjoy on s-days.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Yeah, echo what Jan said. Vegetables, of course, are good for you, but the idea is to eat them instead of some less savory part of your diet, not in addition. So if you want more veggies, make room for them on that plate by having less of something else like meat/bread/etc. Come to think of it, I think I should start doing that myself!
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:01 pm

It's the habit of seconds you are trying to beat..
I personally allow myself a whopping giant portion of veggies... Usually in a salad form, and if it is something like Jan mentioned, ie: brocolli and cheese sauce or that kind of thing, or some hearty vegetable soup, I then opt for just a little less of the main course..

Also, on the days you know you really crave a lot of veggies, you can use your big plates... It's not going to kill you.. Way better than a bag of chips or a pint of Ben and Jerry's.. LOL..
But, you don't want to go for seconds because that is just a learned habit you want to beat...

If you overload your plate in the first few weeks it's not a big deal in the long run..
I did this for the first four or five months of NoS a year ago, but after a while, without even *trying* they just decreased in size all on their own..
And now, I have some pretty good habits formed *and* a new appetite control mechanism which occurred *naturally*
Not through overly limiting my portions at the beginning..
Don't set yourself up to resent this system as you would another frustrating and unpleasant diet..

Little tweaks which you know are the key to you succeeding are very important... Just not big cheats..

Fruits and vegetables are our friends!
Good luck,
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks, all for the replies re: veggies as seconds. Of course it goes back to the 'seconds' habit that I am trying to break. Thanks, and Happy S day! MJ

Kevin

Veggies and vertical stacking

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:34 pm

In general, I try to avoid vertical stacking, but I don't mind heaping up vegetables into as big a pile as I can put on my plate. Don't eat them after dinner - that's snacking/seconds. Better to eat a side salad as a habit without cheese/croutons/heavy dressing than "dabble" later.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."