Welcome Back, Comfort Foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

Welcome Back, Comfort Foods

Post by RJLupin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:06 am

One of the BEST things about No S is that a lot of the foods I really like, but I thought were "bad" (depending on the diet of the week) are back on the menu. French fries, for example. I bought some today in the freezer section. The only ingredients are "potatoes, and salt." Sure, if you deep fry them they might have lots of calories. I, however, bake them. Fast, easy, and a nice addition to my dinner. I also stocked up on breaded fish fillets.

I used to eat only whole wheat bread because I thought anything white was bad. Unfortunately for me, wheat bread (and anything else with a lot of fiber) gives me terrible indigestion. I get enough fiber from my breakfast cereal and my veggies, so I went ahead and bought some white bread today, along with some regular angel hair pasta.

Peanut butter sandwiches. Baked potatoes. French bread. All the stuff I missed, I now have on a regular basis. And I am losing weight doing so! As an added bonus, I am saving money on food. I live alone, so I get a lot of stuff I can freeze. On my other diets (especially low carb)I have to buy costly diet food, or lots of stuff that would go bad quickly.

Awesome!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 am

WTG RJ! :D
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 am

Isn't it great? I love how No S is a diet, but it doesn't feel like a diet. :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am

clarinetgal wrote:Isn't it great? I love how No S is a diet, but it doesn't feel like a diet. :D
I think No-S is a diet only in terms of how you eat. No-S isn't a diet in terms of something you go on to lose weight and off or switch to maintenance once you've lost the weight.

Ha! It could also be called No-F: No Forbidden Foods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 am

That is so true, Wosnes! Actually, I really am starting to think of No S as more of a lifestyle now. I've been reading some other diet books recently for comparison that recommend eating 4-6 times a day, and that just seems so foreign to me now.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 pm

All of the diet books I used to ready seem foreign and bizarre now. You have to be really desperate to try some of the weird stuff I tried. Also, snacking doesn't even occur to me now. I have started to watch people around me, and I've seen how much they eat, and how frequently they eat it. It's no wonder we're all getting so fat, what with the constant consumption. I am coming up on one month on No S, and haven't had a single problem. YAY!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 pm

WTG, RJLupin!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I can justify one snack daily -- late in the afternoon if dinner is going to be late, say, after 7 or so (assuming lunch was around noon). That's it.

RJLupin -- I saw a new way of cooking French fries yesterday and thought of you! Time consuming, but possibly not quite so messy and supposedly the fries absorb less fat than traditionally.

I don't think I've ever purchased frozen fries -- and I'm not sure why.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:18 pm

wosnes wrote:I can justify one snack daily -- late in the afternoon if dinner is going to be late, say, after 7 or so (assuming lunch was around noon). That's it.

RJLupin -- I saw a new way of cooking French fries yesterday and thought of you! Time consuming, but possibly not quite so messy and supposedly the fries absorb less fat than traditionally.

I don't think I've ever purchased frozen fries -- and I'm not sure why.
I am going to buy a potato cutter so I can make my own fries, but the frozen ones are pretty good. I made some more yesterday, and used a Cajun spice mix to flavour them. Yum!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 pm

I've thought about buying a potato cutter, too! Some friends own a cafe and they have a wall mounted one for making pomme frites -- which they serve with their homemade spicy ketchup or rosemary-garlic aioli.

Here's the French fry recipe I found. I'm going to try it sometime soon. It doesn't make too many, but that's a good thing for me!

Ms

Post by Ms » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Oh I can revel in your joy re eating foods you love! I love fruit and veggies and the plainer and less cooked they are, the better (for me), and I have never had a problem with eating them (thanks Mommy!). But, I don't want to eat that alone, nor do I want to feel guilty when I don't eat them all of the time. Moreover, there are rich foods that I love and was somehow convinced were bad, that I missed horribly when I started NoS and consumed in excess the first 9 months of trying NoS. Somehow I relaxed (I guess I was satisfied that I could REALLY have what I wanted and enjoy trying restaurants with friends in the City), and started eating normally (the NoS way) without thinking too much about it. I was shocked to learn that I had lost 9 pounds with what seemed like little effort,and with no exercise program (in comparison to what I used to do on and off, restrictive diet + herculean exercise effort). April 6, 2010 will be one year on the NoS diet, I love NoS, and I completely understand the joy and relief you must feel.