Times Gone By

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Times Gone By

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm

I just pulled out an old recipe to make for dinner tonight. I don't know how long I've had this recipe, but probably since the 1970s sometime. It's suggested that the dish be served with buttered french-style green beans and a pear salad. It was the buttered green beans that caught my attention. I can't remember the last time I saw a suggestion to butter vegetables!

It tastes so good!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 pm

I love rediscovering old recipes. Making them usually brings back memories of the time when I used to make it =)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm making this for dinner tonight -- it's a cheese strata. But I'm not serving it with buttered green beans. It will be asparagus tonight -- and just maybe there will be a little butter involved!

This isn't exactly the recipe I'm using, but it's close. I just cut it down to serve 2 people.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

You know, I read somewhere (and I'm sorry, I can't remember where so I can't provide a link or citation) that adding a bit of butter or other fat helped the body absorb the nutrients of vegetables.

That's all the excuse I need!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

I've read that, too.