Easter eggs 'may be healthy'

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Too solid flesh

Easter eggs 'may be healthy'

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 pm

This story, which includes all the usual caveats, is on the BBC News website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8593887.stm
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 pm

I saw that, too, and thought "They can't even let chocolate Easter eggs alone!" Why must everything be "healthy" or "not healthy"? And, to make it worse, nobody really seems to have any idea what those mean anymore.
~ Laura ~

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I used to pay attention to studies like that but now I'm pretty sure they are all ridiculous. It's probably true that high quality DARK ( I mean really dark at LEAST 70%) chocolate has some benefit to it. However, I still think you should only eat it in moderation and only if you like and enjoy it.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't know why I looked at that -- I knew it was going to make me angry. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm sick of "healthy" being the first adjective applied to food. Sick of it, I say!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm

wosnes wrote:I don't know why I looked at that -- I knew it was going to make me angry.
That made me laugh out loud. I can't tell you how many times a day I say the same thing. I think I need to spend less time online. :lol:

I'm sick of "healthy" being the first adjective applied to food. Sick of it, I say!
Ditto.
~ Laura ~

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm

wosnes wrote:I don't know why I looked at that -- I knew it was going to make me angry. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm sick of "healthy" being the first adjective applied to food. Sick of it, I say!
Agreed, I think reading this would just make me roll my eyes and sigh.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:10 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
wosnes wrote:I don't know why I looked at that -- I knew it was going to make me angry.
That made me laugh out loud. I can't tell you how many times a day I say the same thing. I think I need to spend less time online. :lol:
Unfortunately, it's not only online. You've got to stay away from all media to avoid it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I do believe in eating "real food", but there's a limit, people!

I love how our culture has gotten this idea that if you're very very good, and eat the right combination of foods and exercise at just the perfect level and take all the magic supplements you're supposed to, and follow the latest magic food trend that you're not bloody well going to DIE!

God, yes, I want to be active and feel good for the rest of my life, but if I get sick, it's not a damn sin because I didn't eat enough pomegranates and fish oil.

It's almost as if mortality has become a moral failing.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

All I know is that I'm looking forward to the homemade PB easter eggs I make every year and I look forward to slowly eating my Lindt bunny I bought myself to put in our basket from the "Easter Bunny".... I've never had one and always wanted to try one! They look so classy in their gold wrapper and bow lol.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 pm

I am not going to even look at this one.

I bought Easter candy last weekend. My rule of thumb is that, for holiday food, we focus on stuff we can't get other times of the year. Forget pastel-wrapped (or red-and-green wrapped at Christmas) Snickers or M&M's... We ask everyone what their favorites are, and I just buy those.

And if that means Peeps, we get them. (Yes, junk-and-dye. But they're EASTER to me.) We just buy a reasonable amount, save them for Easter, and when they're gone, they're gone.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I hate that "healthy/non healthy" thing when applied to food, especially because it literally changes from one day to the next (eggs were healthy, then they weren't, now they are again.) Not only is it inconsistent, but I think it encourages unwise eating. "I don't know why I can't lose weight, I eat so healthy" some of my friends say. Sure, they eat veggies and whole grains, but they also eat huge portions, seconds and thirds, and snack constantly.

It also drives me crazy when magazines push recipes for "healthy" (ie, fake) holiday food. Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween are only one day each a year. On that one day, you should be able to eat whatever you want; you don't need to make butterless "cake" and eat carrots instead of eggnog. It's a rare treat, not how you'd eat every day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:32 pm

What kid would definitely prefer a 70% dark chocolate bunny?

I have cocoa powder in my coffee several days a week. Thanks God it's "healthy." I just enjoy it.

Declared an S day and ate a bunny yesterday. It was yum and I'm happy to wait until the weekend for more.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm

What kid would definitely prefer a 70% dark chocolate bunny?
Haha! That would have been me! But of course I also liked black jelly beans and enjoyed the taste of cough syrup. I'm sure I had the Hershey's Dark Chocolate which probably wouldn't be classified as "healthy", but I really did prefer it to the milk chocolate.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

More power to ya! Of course there are exceptions. Future fine eaters of America!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:53 pm

My kid would LOVE an ultra-dark-chocolate Easter bunny. She likes the really dark, bitter stuff.

Of course, she also likes chicken McNuggets, and she won't eat anything I cook that has more than two ingredients, so she's not exactly Little Miss Perfect Foodie ...

Happy Cooker

Post by Happy Cooker » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 pm

"On that one day, you should be able to eat whatever you want; you don't need to make butterless "cake" and eat carrots instead of eggnog. It's a rare treat, not how you'd eat every day."

Amen!!! Chocolate on Easter, and maybe some kind of roll or sweet dough, and a creamy lemon or chocolate dessert. The leftovers go in the freezer or home with guests. I bought local heavy cream yesterday and am in a wonderful dither about how I'll use it.

NoelFigart--so true. I know I'll die eventually, but I'm going to die happy. Preferably not too soon.