This really is Fantastic

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

This really is Fantastic

Post by Over43 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Not to sound like a basket load of hyperole, but my first real honest effort at No S is fantastic. I started at the middle of last week, cold turkey. I follow the rules, drink milk between meals if need be, (occassionally I sneek a dill pickle which claim to be 0 calories(?)). This last weekend I snacked but limited it to a can of coke and some chocolate chip cookies (WalMart brand).

I am eating better, the volume of fruits and vegetables I eat has increased, and my family's grocery/food bill has decreased because I'm not heading out to buy any "specialty foods" if they aren't in the house. Last night was Hamburger Helper (we're in a recession as well...), salad, fruit, zuchini and a slice of bread, all on one plate.

Exercise I am riding my Schwinn Airdyne, trying to reach 30 Cooper "Aerobic" points per week. We'll see how that continues to play out.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

TunaFishKid

Re: This really is Fantastic

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Over43 wrote: ... trying to reach 30 Cooper "Aerobic" points per week.
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! I read Dr. Cooper's "Aerobics" back in the mid-seventies. I haven't heard the term "aerobic points" in years and years. Thanks for the virtual time travel, lol.

For some good, cheap recipes, you might want to take a look at "Clara's Depression Cooking" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8
~ Laura ~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! I read Dr. Cooper's "Aerobics" back in the mid-seventies. I haven't heard the term "aerobic points" in years and years. Thanks for the virtual time travel, lol.

For some good, cheap recipes, you might want to take a look at "Clara's Depression Cooking" on youtube.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

And I certainly agree about Clara's Depression Cooking. Her cookbook is now one of my favorites. There aren't a lot of recipes, but they're good and the stories and tips are wonderful.

Part of the reason I like her stories is that Clara grew up outside Chicago. My parents (would be same age as Clara) grew up a little further away in northern IN and had relatives in Chicago. Many of the places and things she mentions in the book are things I remember my parents talking about.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:

:D I have a copy from the '68 addition. I read sosmewhere that someone claimed Cooper Points are "obsolete, and outdated" but truthfully, it works quite well for me. I'm going to check out the book as well.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79