Habits of the Naturally Slender

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Duckling

Habits of the Naturally Slender

Post by Duckling » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:23 pm

I mentioned this over in my check-in page, but I've been observing the eating habits of my husband and step-daughter who are both naturally quite slender (although not healthy eaters). :)

Here are some things I've noticed:

- The first thing they both do in the morning is drink something. Water for her, hot tea for him.

- They both eat breakfast everyday, but if time will allow, not until after an hour or so of being up and moving.

- They don't really snack. They may eat (and frequently junk) at non-meal times, but then they usually skip the next meal.

- Neither one minds leaving food on their plates. When they're done, they're done.

- They never eat just because the food is around or offered. Even with desserts!

- They don't like to eat late at night. Cut-off is about 8pm for supper and 9pm for dessert.

Now, the really intersting part to me is that because of his military career, my husband wasn't around very much as his daughter was growing up and forming eating habits (she's 16 now). And her mother is extremely obese and has terrible eating habits. So my stepdaughter has come by these habits pretty much on her own.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed similar pattern in slender friends and partners? Or other habits? I just find the whole thing fascinatin.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:30 pm

My ex-husband has always been slim -- usually somewhat underweight for his height.

He always had coffee first thing in the morning, but rarely ate breakfast.

He rarely snacked and didn't eat junk food. His meal times were erratic due to the nature of his work, but he always ate meals when he ate and stopped eating when he was full.

Sweets held little appeal for him, even at holidays and other special occasions. His favorite desserts were fruit-based (which is funny now that I think of it because he's not fond of fruit!).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 pm

I think I've posted about this before but i don't know how to find it so that I could cut and paste.

I've noticed similar habits among slim friends- didn't like sweets much, ate meals, could go without eating without it turning them into a freak. Not ones to order meal salads or diet coke or eat a lot of veggies or even fruit. I've known a few who were sweet freaks. They also tend to be able to drink booze without getting fat. The biggest thing is that they don't like feeling too full. Feeling comfortable is way more important to them than getting to eat something delicious. And for the most part, eating is not a moral decision. They say they watch what they eat, but really, they just eat to be comfortable. They'll order the fries, but not finish them.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

scgal

Post by scgal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 pm

I've got this theory about some people and food: if it's always available, they don't stress about eating it.

Case in point: At my house there are *always* homemade chocolate chip cookies. ALWAYS! All my kids are thin and they may eat 1 or 2 a day. No big deal.

Now I grew up in a large family and we didn't have homemade sweets often. So when anything like that was around, you fell on them in order to get more than 1! Created a bad habit that mentally still hangs around...

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:39 pm

I was just reading an article on Jennifer Anniston where she says:

"Look I eat really well and I work out, but I also indulge when I want to. I don't starve myself in an extremist way. You're not taking away my coffee or my dairy or my glass of wine because I'd be devastated. My advice: just stop eating shit every day."

This is my approach for eating (most days). Although I don't drink wine or coffee anymore, and have limited dairy, I indulge when I want to (on S days) and I am really trying my best to eat more whole foods (and less processed crap).
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 pm

scgal wrote:I've got this theory about some people and food: if it's always available, they don't stress about eating it.

Case in point: At my house there are *always* homemade chocolate chip cookies. ALWAYS! All my kids are thin and they may eat 1 or 2 a day. No big deal.

Now I grew up in a large family and we didn't have homemade sweets often. So when anything like that was around, you fell on them in order to get more than 1! Created a bad habit that mentally still hangs around...
Really interesting point. Treats were pretty much off-limits when I was little; I remember the house being stocked with skim milk instead of whole, wheat bread instead of white, and the only snack-type food was Kellog's Nutrigrain bars. My mom didn't want me to have junk food, I guess. That's a good thing, but then I remember after my parents got divorced when I was about 6, the healthy food went out the window. I lived with my dad and grandmother for a while and they would keep treats like Hostess cakes in the house. I think I gained some weight during that time because I remember eating a lot of those treats. And I think I ate so many of the treats because they'd been limited previously.

I still sort of have this mindset today, though since I'm so aware of it, it's something I can try to deal with. Whenever I indulge in a treat, the "eat it all before it's gone" mentality starts up almost automatically.
oliviamanda wrote:
I was just reading an article on Jennifer Anniston where she says:

"Look I eat really well and I work out, but I also indulge when I want to. I don't starve myself in an extremist way. You're not taking away my coffee or my dairy or my glass of wine because I'd be devastated. My advice: just stop eating shit every day."
That's nice, but something about celebrities simplifying their diet and exercise routines the way they often do in interviews often irks me. I eat well, work out, indulge when want to and don't eat shit every day, and my body certainly doesn't look like her's...and she's what, 40? I'm 23.

scgal

Post by scgal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm

scgal wrote:I've got this theory about some people and food: if it's always available, they don't stress about eating it.

Oh, and I should point out that my kids are adults now so my comment above comes from years of notice. Other family members come to visit and the first thing they do is go to the cookie pan and grab one!

I wonder if it's an "everything in moderation" thing?
Last edited by scgal on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Well, I think JenA works out a whole lot or at least does tons of yoga. I thought that the "don't eat shit" part was important because crap food is everywhere... it's so accessible. I failed to bring my lunch yesterday to work and I went out in search of something that wouldn't be crap and came up with nothing. I ended up eating cream of wheat and yogurt.

Being naturally slender is our ideal because of magazines and celebrities. I loved Niecy Nash tell her partner that she doesn't want to lose too much weight on DWTS because she doesn't want to lose her jiggly parts because she likes them! I want to be at that point where I feel comfortable with my body. No S and exercise and all my mods are getting me there.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

marygrace wrote: That's nice, but something about celebrities simplifying their diet and exercise routines the way they often do in interviews often irks me. I eat well, work out, indulge when want to and don't eat shit every day, and my body certainly doesn't look like her's...and she's what, 40? I'm 23.
I think part of the problem with models and celebrities being used as role models for how we could look is that no matter what most of us do -- we're never going to look like them. And we shouldn't aspire to that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

scgal wrote:

Oh, and I should point out that my kids are adults now so my comment above comes from years of notice. Other family members come to visit and the first thing they do is go to the cookie pan and grab one!

I wonder if it's an "everything in moderation" thing?
Very interesting. I'm of the same opinion as well.

I grew up in a home where, because my mom was always on some crazy diet and because we had a small food budget, we almost never had any treats in the house. (I later learned that my mom, who is now morbidly obese, would hide junk and binge in secret.) As a result, I don't think my siblings or I really knew how to handle treats either. If we did have some candy or baked goods in the house, it didn't last long at all. We binged.

So, my DH and I feel that, if we want to teach our kiddo about moderation it is important to show her through our actions and we always purposefully have some good quality goodies in the house. I typically have some homemade baked good available and I let my DD select a treat -- small bag of chips or a homemade cookie or the like -- for her lunch everyday. (She almost always goes for the homemade baked good, lol.) The result is that while DD enjoys treats, they aren't really a big deal to her and she isn't overly interested in them. When she gets candy for a holiday like Halloween, Christmas or Easter, she'll have a piece or two and then it sits and I end up dumping it or sending it in with DH to put out in the break room at work. In fact, I bought a bag of mini Reese's hearts for my family for Valentine's Day and 3/4 of it is still left ... and DD and DH *love* Reese's. That never would have happened in my house growing up where we didn't learn how to handle treats.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm

I grew up skinny. I remember having breakfast before school (cereal and milk usually), lunch at school, and dinner in the evening. I don't remember rushing home to snack after school. I remember being REALLY hungry sometimes before dinner, but the idea of eating something never occurred to me back then. I was also a really picky eater, so I would not always eat everything that was presented on the table. We ate things like spaghetti and meat sauce, baked chicken or pot roast with boiled potatoes and a vegetable, homemade scalloped potatoes with ham. We also ate frozen fish sticks and instant mashed potatoes, so we ate our fair share of junk as well. Potato chips and pop were reserved for weekends camping or at the lake. We did more as a family back then. I remember ice skating and sledding in the winter, biking, camping, and swimming in the summer. My dad walked everywhere that he could. I actually grew up in a very No-S/ Urban Ranger atmosphere. Somewhere along the line (in the 90's to be exact, haha) we all went astray though...

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:27 pm

oolala53 wrote: The biggest thing is that they don't like feeling too full. Feeling comfortable is way more important to them than getting to eat something delicious. And for the most part, eating is not a moral decision. They say they watch what they eat, but really, they just eat to be comfortable. They'll order the fries, but not finish them

Oolala53, you are describing my husband and son exactly! They are pretty much thin clones and both have strong senses about their comfort level. Husband loves food of all kinds, including sweets, but he will wait to eat until he feels just exactly right, and then a reasonable portion. Son loves the usual teenage junk, but he also has that distinct feeling of comfort. My daughter has inherited my body type and my apparent inability to identify that comfort level. Luckily she gets a lot of exercise and is committed to healthy foods, which helps keep her weight down.

I do think that this is mostly biological. I've tried various exercises for getting more in touch with fullness feelings, but it always feels like extremely hard, depressing work and like I'm just not getting it. People like me just need rules.

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Some really good observations here!

I haven't quite figured out the quote thing, but the point about eating to a comfort level and not wanting to be too full and making treats always available are really interesting.

I think that was sort of the point behind the "I can make you thin" thing that Paul McKenna was doing a few years ago. You could eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, but only if you were hungry and only until you weren't hungry.

In theory it sounds good, but I just wasn't very good at stopping!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Duckling wrote:Some really good observations here!

I haven't quite figured out the quote thing, but the point about eating to a comfort level and not wanting to be too full and making treats always available are really interesting.

I think that was sort of the point behind the "I can make you thin" thing that Paul McKenna was doing a few years ago. You could eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, but only if you were hungry and only until you weren't hungry.

In theory it sounds good, but I just wasn't very good at stopping!
I hear you! I tried doing "Intuitive Eating" last fall/early winter and ended up gaining 10 pounds. :roll: But, then, I am not a naturally thin person. I really need the structure of No S's systematic moderation to help me stay on the right track. Now, my DH and DD, who do not have weight issues and are naturally thin do have that built-in hunger :arrow: full set point. But neither of them have had a distorted history/relationship with food or dieting either.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Sorry, folks. I'm going to disagree with the theory that if it's available, people don't stress about it and don't eat too much. My family always had dessert every night, ice cream later in the evening, and cookies and such around, but as my brother and I got older, my mom had to start hiding the cookies or we'd go through all of them. Believe me, look in people's shopping carts. You'll see that heavy people, and others as well, have a lot of junk food around, unless they're taking it home and keeping it in the garage. And you can bet a lot of it doesn't last.

I also went through several years of "decriminalizing" food, allowing myself to keep every favorite food in the house. If I finished stuff, I bought more. I binged on them all the time. I actually very rarely tried to keep them out of the house, but it was only a few periods of my adult life when I didn't overeat them, the last being this last 12 weeks on No S.

I've mentioned on a few other threads that the book Mastering Leptin, though long-winded, helps to explain more why 3 meals a day helps reduce the desire to overeat more. Although habit is important, if we were working against what the body naturally needs, I don't think it would work very well. I made a habit for years of having 5 meals a day, and I still way overate 8 of 10 days. I believe fasting between meals is a big part of why this gets easier over time. Also, many heavy people are susceptible to overeating sweets. I'm on another site and I hear constantly from women there about how they try to include a "treat" every day and how often it gets out of hand. Or they try never to eat them because they say they can't control themselves. They keep thinking it's them. They are so attached to believing that eating often will keep them from bingeing. I feel for them, but not many are ready for another message, though I have mentioned plenty about No S.

Just MHO.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm going to have to check out that book!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 am

Even though she has a potty mouth, I find Jennifer Anniston to be spectacular. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

groovy1

Post by groovy1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 pm

"I also went through several years of "decriminalizing" food, allowing myself to keep every favorite food in the house. If I finished stuff, I bought more. I binged on them all the time. I actually very rarely tried to keep them out of the house, but it was only a few periods of my adult life when I didn't overeat them, the last being this last 12 weeks on No S.

I've mentioned on a few other threads that the book Mastering Leptin, though long-winded, helps to explain more why 3 meals a day helps reduce the desire to overeat more. Although habit is important, if we were working against what the body naturally needs, I don't think it would work very well. I made a habit for years of having 5 meals a day, and I still way overate 8 of 10 days. I believe fasting between meals is a big part of why this gets easier over time. Also, many heavy people are susceptible to overeating sweets. I'm on another site and I hear constantly from women there about how they try to include a "treat" every day and how often it gets out of hand. Or they try never to eat them because they say they can't control themselves. They keep thinking it's them. They are so attached to believing that eating often will keep them from bingeing. I feel for them, but not many are ready for another message, though I have mentioned plenty about No S."

Thank you very much for this post, Oolala. I find it fascinating and very helpful. My experience has been like yours. I also tried hard to follow the advice to keep around certain problem foods so I would know they were available and not make a fuss about them. But I would wind up ignoring them for weeks and then eating all of them in a fell swoop. My latest read, in addition to No S, which I have been doing for a week and really enjoying, Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat, advocates keeping around or buying only a single portion of only one problem food at a time, and only when you really really really really want it (4 reallys). However, I think No S is easier and I intend to experiment a bit on my next S day having a small amount of something I really like. I don't think I'm quite ready to experiment yet with my worst trouble foods - really good ice cream (Stonyfield Farms coffee), really good chocolate, and really good pastry - morning buns from the French bakery, yum. Maybe next week or the week after when I feel I have more solidly settled into a weight. Right now I am losing too fast and getting into that danger zone of getting too hungry before the next meal so I have to figure out how much more of what to eat before I try to experiment.

To go back to the discussion of this thread - habits of the naturally slender. My partner is naturally slender. She loves chocolate, and will have 5 or 6 dark chocolate bars around everywhere - freezer, fridge, her desk, the kitchen countertops, the dining room builtin, the living room, anywhere at all - from which she takes little nibbles over the course of weeks or months. Her table habits are far from what the experts recommend - she eats very very fast, and likes to stuff her mouth overfull, especially with salad. She snacks when she gets hungry. Yet she seems to effortlessly maintain a very nice weight. She is a natural mesomorph, meaning she easily puts on muscle and is very muscular and easily stays very fit and I think that helps.

Because as I posted elsewhere I effortlessly maintained an underweight body for 11 years as the side effect of a drug, I can compare my habits then with what happened to me last July when I had to stop taking that drug and switch to one notorious for causing weight gain. For eleven years, I didn't get very hungry and would forget to eat sometimes, remembering only when I got a headache -- the gnawing sensation that has been plaguing me and constant thoughts of food just weren't there. And when I did overeat, especially my weakness at that time - cookies- I wouldn't be hungry the next day and without any thought would drop back to the same weight, 110 pounds. I weighed myself once a month or less, sometimes not for 3 or 4 months, because my weight rarely varied, and I rarely thought about food or eating until it was time for the next meal. People used to tell me how impressed they were with my figure (which really was too thin and had too little muscle because I was too sick to exercise adequately for years) and that I must have great eating habits, but I would tell them the truth - that I wished I ate more regularly and made healthier choices, but I was frequently too ill to eat. What a far cry from what has happened since then! Happily I am in much better shape, although I am still recovering from a relapse a little over a week ago. But before No S I was hungry and miserable all the time and counting the calories and carb grams of every bite that went into my mouth because I knew that otherwise I would gain back the 50 pounds that I lost 30 years ago. But in general it has been much better since No S - like I said, the hunger has been much more manageable, although last night and today before lunch were the toughest I've had so far. I am sure, though, that my body will figure out how to tweak my meals to prevent that problem or, if I am just one of those people who needs to eat more frequently, I will accept that and incorporate that into No S. So thank you very much for mentioning the book and I will look it up.

Sherry

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 4:43 pm

I can relate to what Oohlala was saying. I can't keep sweets in the house for any length of time or I will eat them.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Actually, I was saying that since No S, I have been able to keep sweets around. I had a jar of brownie and chocolate chip cookies around all last week but didn't have any until Saturday afternoon. I know it avoids so many problems just not to have any, not even a bite, during the week. I imagine some day I could have them in small quantities during the week, but I can't imagine them being that more wonderful on a continuing basis as the foods I already have for my meals, and they do have the downside of being nutritionally inferior to most foods, to what's the point?

I realize now I used to spend a lot of mental energy weighing whether cwertain sweets were worth breaking my rule not to eat them. It would often deepend on whther they were cheap or not. If Ralphs had big chocollate bars at 10 for $10, then I bought one. As if my body needed it more because it was cheap! And I always ate the whole thing. Or it might be that something really wonderful was available. Once again, the advantge of being older. I've had tons of wonderful things! I don't have to have them all the time. And when you're eating enough of delicious food when you're hungry, it just isn't that important that you get an eclair or chocolate mousse cake often. It drops out of the daily equation and makes things so much simpler without much downside.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 7:26 pm

I think there are different stages of keeping sweets in the house. The first stage, which I'm in now, is the beginning of No S when you are still learning how to cope. The trauma of not having sweets during the week is too great to trust yourself to keep them in the house. The second stage, you have learned the willpower of No S and can keep sweets in the house, but only eat them on S days. The third stage is after a very long time on No S, when your food issues are cured (this stage may not happen for some people). You can eat sweets sometimes and control yourself enough to keep them in the house and eat them in moderation and don't need S days to keep you in line. I have read that some people get to this third stage and have "no more food issues," but I think that's after many years of re-training.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 pm

I think you're right, and a person might even go in and out of stages, but longevity makes a difference. For example, I still wouln't attempt to bake a batch of brownies on an N day. But I bet someday I could.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Vagabond1

Post by Vagabond1 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 pm

I think Habits of the Naturally Slender is kind of an oxymoron. If they are naturally slender then they don't really worry about what their habits are. And to act like naturally slender people have better health habits than others is kind of silly. Just depends on the person. I have friends who are naturally thin and can eat enormous amounts of food and not gain any weight. They are not big on exercise either. Meanwhile, if I were to eat three meals a day I'd balloon up at amazing rates of speed and I exercise at least an hour a day.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat May 08, 2010 4:19 pm

heh, I wouldn't call anyone who eats enormous amounts of food and doesn't gain any weight naturally slender! that's not natural! ;)

more to the point, it's not normal. It happens, I know people like that too.

But most of the other effortlessly slender people do have habits that curb repeated excessive calorie intake.

That aside, I have friends on the other end too, who can gain weight on a medically administered extremely low-cal diet. And it must be incredibly frustrating to hear about natural and normal habits being some kind of universal solution. But it's not like gaining weight on a medically administered extremely low-cal diet is normal either.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Here's an article called 10 Secrets of the Effortlessly Thin.

1. They don't diet.
2. They keep track of their weight.
3. They exercise regularly.
4. They don't solve problems with food.
5. They stop eating when they're full.
6. They don't surround themselves with temptation.
7. They allow themselves treats.
8. They eat breakfast.
9. They move, stand, and fidget more.
10. They don't skip meals.

These rules are great habits (other than "fidgeting" being kind of weird), but the list seems a little too complex. There are really only 3 rules of thin people, and they all start with No S_____. I'm not really surprised that the author didn't "go there" and tell people not to snack all day, as it is such a culturally ingrained rule that it might offend people. There is also mention of the dreaded metabolism-slow-down:
Going more than six hours without food will slow down your metabolism, plus you'll likely get so desperately hungry that you'll grab anything (as opposed to something healthy) and eat too much of it. "Thin people keep their gas tanks [i.e., their stomachs] between one-quarter and three-quarters full all the time," says Fleming. The best way to do that is to eat frequent mini-meals every three to four hours.
Mini-meals!!! :evil: ::throws hands up in frustration::

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 pm

leafy_greens wrote:
"Thin people keep their gas tanks [i.e., their stomachs] between one-quarter and three-quarters full all the time," says Fleming.
No, no, no! That's how I got fat.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Thin people keep their stomachs part full all the time? That's ridiculous! Some pick all the time; some forget to eat. But it's some of the others are sound true.

Oh, yeah, the nonsense about the metabolism dropping. Everyone keeps citing that like a bad rumor.

The reason people stuff themselves when they're very hungry is because they have the habit of wolfing their food anyway and they tell themselves they need more. I usually feel like eating less when I'm starved, at least after the first few bites. I get full faster. But I usually chew my food and go slowly unless I've got 15 mintues to eat because of some problem in my teaching day.

Anyway, we're on the right track here.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23