Problem, Need advice.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Should I indulge my late night habbit on my S-Days? Or refrain for the greater good?

Bust it fat boy, or you'll never win.
20%
Relax, they're S-days for that very reason.
80%

Total votes: 20

Croaker

Problem, Need advice.

Post by Croaker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 am

So, I came accross this plan last weekend and I loved it. Started Monday. Had one red day on Wednesday. I blame my wife. She left the Oreos out on the counter and I popped one into my mouth before I gave it a second thought. I didn't realize how guilty I would feel about that until afterwards. Anyhow, this diet is so simplisticly beutiful, that I've otherwise had a perfect week. I have, however, identified my HUGE eating problem in that short time.

I've remarked often that I only eat a couple meals a day and blamed the types of food I was eating (lots of pasta, corndogs, etc... I have 3 kids) for my weight gain. I can see now that my meals were not the problem. I realized it on my second night. After dinner, after the kids are abed, of the evening, I get HUNGRY. I want to snack. I've always done so before. I like to kick back on the couch with wifey, tear open a bag of chips or a box of cookies with milk, or even an entire second dinner if the wife is craving something or feels inclined to cook for me again. I never even realised I was doing it until I started this diet and got to thinking back. I've been staving off my late-night munchies with glass after glass (after glass after glass...) of water and it has worked, in an unsatisfying kind of way.

Tomorrow is my first S day... I intend to indulge myself a bit, not because I feel the need, but because Riendhart said I should for the sake of my staying power. I agree with him, this diet might become torturous if I'm never to have another chocolate. However... Should I allow myself to snack at night as has been my habbit for so long? This seems to be my big problem with my diet and would certainly explain my ever increasing weight (365lbs). I know it would be a true treat for me, as I'm stressing over it even now, but I feel as if I must break this habbit if I'm ever to be free of the late-night cravings. It truely has been the only difficult part of the diet for me.

Oppinions?

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:59 am

Welcome, Croaker, and congratulations on your successful first week.

I found the evening snacking hard to beat at first (and still have a piece of fruit in the late evening). There is a thread here about activities to distract from evening eating, which you might find interesting:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4589

You mention that you eat two meals a day. Maybe you aren't eating enough at those meals to last you through the evening, or maybe the timings could be altered? Maybe you need a third meal - you could always have eg a sandwich at your difficult time in the evening and call it your third meal.

Very best wishes for this.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 am

Welcome, Croaker!

As long as your evening snacks are on S days only -- don't worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Anyone else's opinion on this issue is totally unimportant.
Only your own opinion counts.

If you COULD follow your N day plan on S days you probably would.
In time, will N day habits bleed over into S days?
I simply do not know.
Judging from the results shown within this forum, my answer must be
... Perhaps.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Croaker

Wow

Post by Croaker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:13 am

Okay, so, according to my poll, the general consensus is that S-Days are for pigging out and I shouldn't worry about it. However, I don't know if anyone who voted actualy even read my post and there's really no way to know if they're aware of the actual circurmstances of the question.

According to my replies, I've got one "I use to have that problem too" Which I take to mean "Stop". One "Don't worry about it" and one "Perhaps."

Great.

Well, today is my first S-day. Let me tell you how it went:

Breakfast - Bowl and 1/2 of cereal (sweet kiddie cereal) 2% milk, followed by one teaspoon of fudge. Yes, I remembered it was an S-day as soon as I awoke.

For lunch, I splurged to say the least. Burger King: A1 Steak House XT, medium fry and... An Oreo shake to drink. The shake wasn't worth it. The meal was. If you haven't tried one of those burgers, you may actualy be wasting your life right now.

Dinner, very conservative, I had a bowel of ramen noodles with soy sauce and a grilled cheese sandwich...

So, that's a full and wonderful S-day, I'd say... Now back to my problem:

Late night - Six beers, natural ice if you care to know (I feel pretty good right now) and 2 chocolate chip cookies. Not nearly the type of snacking that I would normaly do, but still snacking, and I'm sure the beer doesn't help.

For anyone interested, I drink between 12-18 beers a week and this is unlikely to change, regardless of what day my drinking falls on.

So, if this was my typical S-day (and damn was it satisfying) is consensus that I would still lose weight by obeying the rules in every other sense?

Also, some details: I did usualy only eat 2 meals a day, but since starting the plan, I've devoleped the habbit of eating three times a day and trying to make sure that the meals are atleast semi-balanced, with 1 piece of fruit, plenty of protien, enough carbs to keep me awake and as much vegitation as I can justify without eating raw lettuce. I've (accidently) developed a default meal out of a sandwich consisting of 3 slices of deli ham, three small rounds of summer sausage, tomatoe, lettuce, jalapeno peppers and about 3 ounces of chedder cheese with 1 teaspoon of mayonaise, plus whatever fruit is in the bowel.

Oppinions, please?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:10 am

I read your initial post and if you'd asked about snacking every night, my response to your poll and what I wrote would have been different. But snacking at night on S days -- go for it.

By the way, most of us who have followed No-S for a while don't believe that S days are for "pigging out." They are for relaxing a bit and enjoying yourself.

As for the beer consumption, read about the glass ceiling.
croaker wrote: So, if this was my typical S-day (and damn was it satisfying) is consensus that I would still lose weight by obeying the rules in every other sense?
Yes, you probably will. As long as you're eating moderately on N days and eliminating the late night snacking on those days, you will most likely lose weight. There's a calorie deficit which will result in weight loss. Somewhere down the road you might find it necessary to fine tune what you're doing, but you can cross that bridge when -- and if -- you come to it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Too solid flesh

Re: Wow

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Croaker wrote:According to my replies, I've got one "I use to have that problem too" Which I take to mean "Stop".
Sorry, Croaker, I was not clear in my reply. The comments I made were about dealing with evening snacking on N days. Evening snacking on S days is fine.

I agree with Wosnes that
As long as you're eating moderately on N days and eliminating the late night snacking on those days, you will most likely lose weight. There's a calorie deficit which will result in weight loss. Somewhere down the road you might find it necessary to fine tune what you're doing, but you can cross that bridge when -- and if -- you come to it.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Welcome, Croaker! I agree with wosnes; you can eat your late-night snacks on S days. This diet is supposed to be a life-long change; it will be very hard to stick to it if you're feeling deprived even on S days.

The other thing to remember is that No S is about forming new habits. Especially when you're starting out, keep things simple and stick to the rules. If that means pigging out on S days sometimes, so be it. You cannot fail on S days! What's important is losing the habit of snacking on N days. You may very well find that will eventually carry over into the weekend.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 am

That is quite an S day you described... everything was sweet, salty and greasy. I think that as you do No S, when the S days come you may want to voluntarily eat better and trim your S's. You are certainly entitled to them, but if it destroys your progress of 1) forming good habits, and 2) watching the scale go down, you may happily find yourself refraining.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Croaker

Alrighty then

Post by Croaker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 am

Well, thanks everyone for the input and support. Today was the end of my first S run and tomorrow I'm back on track. I honestly don't find any of it to be that hard except for the late night munchies, so I really have alot of faith in this diet now... Though, being as today was Easter Sunday and my mom had the whole family over for dinner, I will just forget that this day ever happened, lest I become suicidal with guilt :P

I guess I should moderate my S days a bit more, judging by the responses I got to what I ate on Saturday. That actualy shouldn't be too hard, guessing by the kind of guilt I feel for my over-indulgence. I know it heeds progress, so I'm sure I'll eventualy work it out so that they are indulgent without being sinful.

Special thanks to Too Solid Flesh for the link to the ideas for coping. Macrame and Knitting aren't really my thing, but sharpening my knives is a trick I once employed for meditation and may lend a big helping hand here as well. Not to mention it makes me feel manly, which might help to remind me why I'm doing this :P

Also, thanks to Starla for the reinforcement. I realize that the reason the evening snacking is hard to cope with is because it's a habbit and I guess old habbits are as hard to break as new ones are to form... Without drugs anyhow.

I'm confident that once I get into the swing of this thing, I won't even have to think about it anymore and I'll just be eating better. Atleast, that is what I hope from having read some of the other posts on here.

Thanks again everybody who posted and for the oppinions on the poll.

P.S.

Just read "The Glass Cieling". No thank you. I do like to go to a party and get smashed now and again, but I trust my concionse(sp?) to keep me in line these days. Not to say that last year, that post wouldn't have described me perfectly, because it did. However, I have a chemical imbalance of some sort in my head that makes me all mopey and crap if I go too long without drinking or medication. My preference is the drink. Medication is too unpredictable and less fun. My "glass ceiling" is six with the occasional eight. Did I mention I weigh 365lbs? Cause I'm sure that makes a difference. Either way, bugger off, I love beer!

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

The glass ceiling and No-S are 2 separate systems, there's no need to follow glass ceiling if you don't want to. Beer ahoy!

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Croaker-
I told my fiancee about glass ceiling and he had basically the same response as you "Thanks but no thanks." He also loves beer and is unwilling to limit his consumption that much. I know that Rheinhart is male but glass ceiling doesn't seem too popular with other guys I've talked to about it.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:00 pm

*wince* Gosh... I'm having a hard time saying this because while I don't want to be offensive, I DO want to bring an issue up -- and it's an issue I'm bringing up from experience.

I found the concept of the glass ceiling a bit daunting and tried to tell myself it was absurd. Then, as I got to thinking about it, I realized that maybe if I did feel that way, then I had a more serious problem than I realized. If the idea of limiting your drinking to two drinks a day bothers you, you might want to consider whether or not you have an issue with alcohol. I'm not trying to come across as moralistic here. I have no middle gears and moderation is NOT natural to me. And in your case I could be completely off base.

But I strongly believe it's worth examining.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I have to say I agree with NoelFigart. Regardless if you want to limit your beer, the truth is you are getting tons of extra calories and that alone could be a huge factor in your weight gain and/or inability to lose weight. Although No S is not about counting calories, the calories you are getting from many beers is equal to half or more of one's normal recommended calorie consumption. Knowing this, you seem to have a strong stance that you are not about to give this up or limit it, so you just may be sabotaging your own weight loss.

I understand that you don't want to take prescription meds. BUT medicating yourself with alcohol is a problem because it leads to alcoholism. I feel that I can say this because my husband you can say is chemically imbalanced for whatever reason. He is pretty against pharmaceuticals. When I met him he had a little beer belly and once he gave up cigs he drank even more and got to looking like Sanat Claus with a huge round belly. He self-medicated with alcohol for years and is now 5 years sober. When he stopped drinking he lost a ton of weight... so much that he went down to 155 lbs and looked thin and awful, but then took care of himself and is doing much better.

You also didn't mention (or I missed it) what kind of exercise you do. My husband goes to karate 3 times a week. He is doing best when he is active. Exercise really does seem like a chore sometimes, but it may help you feel better mentally so you won't have to drink so much and you will see the benefits. Consuming more calories than you expend of any food can make you fat, beer included.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

I've got to say that what Croaker said about the beer drinking made me wince, too, and that I also agree with NoelFigart and oliviamanda. I'm also speaking from experience -- the experience of a woman who was married to a man who felt like that about his beer drinking.

Like NoelFigart, I don't wish to offend. In my opinion, anyone who is unwilling to limit consumption already has a problem. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Let me be clear, I'm not against drinking. While beer isn't a favorite, I do like mixed drinks and wine -- in moderation.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 pm

I can relate with the moderation. I normally, when I drink have 2 glasses of wine, but there is a few days a week I go up to 3 and I get so upset with myself when I do. It just makes me feel yucky. I can understand the attachment to be able to indulge, but really, is it always worth it? If I'm honest with myself, usually it's no, it's not worth it. This can be a hard topic.
I think there is alot of good advice in the group, but you need to do what works for you.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

Croaker

Srsly?

Post by Croaker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am

Come on, guys(gals) I'm having a six pack about 2-3 times a week. Is that really a big deal? Yes, technicaly speaking, I'm an acoholic, but the way I understand it, it doesn't take much to qualify these days. I don't buy into the new age idea of alcoholism anyhow. I come from a long line of alcoholics and I've seen what that means. When I start getting the shakes cause I haven't had a drink, I'll worry about it.

In regards to weightloss, I agree it is a problem so if anyone can recomend a low calorie liquor, I'd be all for trying it. Though I realize alcohol is made from sugars, so it's probably not possible to have anything like a "low calorie" liquor... Maybe Everclear, but I haven't stooped that low yet.

In regards to exercise, I'm actualy doing Shovelglove, mixed with actualy beating the snot out of a huge rock in my backyard with my hammer. Which is how I found this website in the firstplace.

That guy Reinhard is a clever dude.

oliviamanda

Re: Srsly?

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 am

Croaker wrote:Come on, guys(gals) I'm having a six pack about 2-3 times a week. Is that really a big deal? Yes, technicaly speaking, I'm an acoholic, but the way I understand it, it doesn't take much to qualify these days. I don't buy into the new age idea of alcoholism anyhow. I come from a long line of alcoholics and I've seen what that means. When I start getting the shakes cause I haven't had a drink, I'll worry about it.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by new age idea of alcoholism. Rheinhard is a very smart dude. That is why glass ceiling goes hand-in-hand with No S, as does shovelglove. Simple to follow. Why not give all his wisdom an honest try?

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 am

croaker, I wouldn't wait till the shakes to worry about being an alcoholic, but I do agree with the whole alcoholic (new age) your referring too. I really don't agree with alot of it. I think certain countries do drink alot more than others and it's just a way of life. But with that said, just be careful about the dependency on alcohol. I know that in my life I need to be careful about that as well.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't think being unwilling to reduce alcohol consumption to two drinks a day makes you an alcoholic. I regularly drink more than two drinks in an evening because I enjoy it. I could go without but I don't want to because it's a big part of my social life.

It is a bit of a problem for weight loss and I've been trying to cut down on alcohol when I don't really want it - e.g. sometimes I'll have a glass of wine with dinner out of habit rather than because I really want it - but, when I want to split a bottle of wine with my husband at a nice restaurant, I do. That's more than two glasses each (unless they're huge glasses) and I don't think that makes me an alcoholic.

Really, I do think some people have lost sight of what alcoholism really is - when you pass out and don't remember what you did, when it interferes with your job, when it interferes with your family life, these are really the warning signs, not just having more than a couple of drinks in an evening sometimes.

Croaker

Thanks guys

Post by Croaker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm

I smell what you're stepping in, I guess. If it makes you all feel any better I don't party anymore for much the same reasons glass cieling mentions. Waking up, not remembering what I've done or sincerely wishing that I hadn't. So I think I've learned my lesson about binging and my drinking is well under control, if not by me than by my wife. Call me weak, but whatever.

I still haven't heard of any low cal/not so fattening alcahol alternatives. My main problem is that I not only love beer, but heavy, dark beers. The kind you can stand a spoon up in.

Thanks guys.