Non dairy creamer

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Liza

Non dairy creamer

Post by Liza » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:20 am

I love coffee and find it very difficult to drink it black. Is non dairy creamer or low fat milk allowed in between meals ?

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 am

It is my salvation after dinner - I drink a cup or two of decaf to successfully avoid dessert. I use powdered creamer without a single worry. Good Luck - MJ

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:53 am

Here's my 2 cents worth:-

A little milk in your coffee or tea won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things. This plan is about sustainability. Is it 'sustainable' to prepare and drink your hot drinks in a way that you don't like...? :)

I drink my tea and coffee with milk in. Some people here even drink their tea and coffee with sugar in too. I don't add sugar, cos I don't like the way that tastes, but if I *did* like it, I would still include it.

NoS is about looking after the worst 80% of the problem. If you look after the big things, then the little things (like a dash of milk in your hot drinks) won't make any difference at all.

This is really about changing the way you think about food and eating patterns for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. If you can't imagine doing this for the rest of your life then it's not sustainable and it probably won't work. Yes, you might lose weight a tiny bit faster if you didn't have that milk in your coffee - but really the difference is insignificant!

Personally, I don't like to use creamer or whitener... or any artificial sweeteners either. I'm pretty convinced that coffee and tea shouldn't be turned into 'artifical chemical soup'. Some people claim to actually prefer this though, so if it's your choice, that's fine.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
C.
CaroleJo

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:23 pm

I do half and half and some sweetener, preferably maple syrup, in my coffee. I don't worry about it.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:45 am

Non dairy creamer usually consists entirely of corn syrup...
I'd encourage you to use a little milk and sugar instead of that...
There's absolutely nothing nutritionally sound about cremora..
(Though it does stay in your cupboard indefinitely for emergencies..LOL)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

brownstudy

Post by brownstudy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:57 pm

We use Silk soy creamer; it's a little thinner but not as rich. We like it.
Mike Brown

hja

Post by hja » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Yes! Put whatever you want into your coffee so that you'll enjoy it. It is all about sustainability.

The <a href="http://www.nosdiet.com/#sweets">official word</a> is to "Go ahead and put sugar in your coffee", because sugar and milk and cream in your coffee isn't making you have a weight problem, it's the cookies and chips and everything else. :)

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:02 pm

Putting sugar and milk in a cup of coffee is one thing, but what about those gigantizor drinks at Starbucks?

I'm a total Starbucks fiend (just aobnut every day). I do a lot of work there on my laptop, it sounds kind of pathetic but it's a part of my life.

:shock:

But I do get tired of just drinking black coffee, as opposed to the lattes and stuff. I think from a strict viewpoint those drinks are probably S, and I should just switch to putting a little creamer in a black coffee or something.

I was curious just how much sugar a soy latte has at Starbucks, so I looked it up: 8 grams in a tall soy latte.

Does that count as an S or what?
"Man will not fly for 50 years." -- Wilbur Wright 1901

hja

Post by hja » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Frappachino: Definitely an S
Latte with syrup flavoring: Probably an S.
Latte without syrup flavoring: Iffy.
Coffee (not espresso) topped off with soy milk: Not an S

Just my opinion. :)

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:54 am

Argh I got a soy latte.

Oh well.

At least it was only a tall, heh.

stress + food = axis of evil

:roll:

hja

Post by hja » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:03 am

A tall soy latte is 12 oz, 160 calories. That's a lot. That's like drinking a full glass of milk. Pretty much a snack.

A short soy latte (8 oz) would be better. They don't advertize that size, but it does exist. :)

A Starbucks coffee "with room" and asking them to add a splash of soy milk would put you in the free and clear. ;)

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:13 am

Yeah, my bad.

Actually it occurred to me that it really wasn't very good... it just tasted like milk and barely like coffee.

Weirdly enough, it seems that soy lattes are actually worse nutrition-wise than cappuccinos (which I thought had more milk).

And cappuccinos are supposed to be short: a "tall cappuccino" is an oxymoron: Starbucks Economics - Solving the mystery of the elusive "short" cappuccino. As you point out, they don't advertise the short drinks... Sbucks doesn't even list the short cappuccino on their site: if you search for cappuccino here.

If the tall cappuccino (12oz), even with whole milk, is 120 calories, then the short (8 oz) comes out to 80 calories, 60-something with soy. (But soy cappuccinos are gross.) I know Reinhard argues that crunching calorie numbers is kind of a bad idea, and I think he's right in general... but well, it's sort of fun to outreason the corporate monoliths, hehe!

And if you knew how much time I spent in Starbucks you'd understand why I'm trying to figure out the numbers... these things are actually a pretty significant part of my... er... life, so I may as well admit it & try to be smart about it. :)

I think I'm just going to try to allow myself a short cappuccino a couple nights a week. That will feel normal, since in fact that's the way the drink is supposed to be, which means I won't feel like I'm depriving myself, which means I might actually do it.

hja

Post by hja » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:48 am

And maybe develop a taste for tea to add some variety and still be drinking a nice hot beverage. :)

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 am

How weird, I'm drinking green tea right now :)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 am

Hey, Green tea is actually really good for you (unless you totally swim in the stuff, but that's true of just about everything! :lol: )

I don't worry about lattes, as long as there's no syrup in them. Mind you, I don't generally consume more than one a day at most anyway. I also don't worry about drinking milk. I happen to prefer it skimmed anyway but don't find it does any ultimate damage. Now that, I *do* drink quite a lot of - on average a pint a day, plus whatever goes into my tea.

C.
CaroleJo