Tough Being a Parent

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Tough Being a Parent

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 pm

I have a little one who is a super picky eater. Basically he eats only crunchy things like cereal and crackers and fruit. Therefore, I am always giving him different cereals and in doing so, pieces find their way to my mouth! Most of the time I can control myself, I just see red (for my habitcal) when I start popping cereal bits! He does not eat bread or pasta so I made him some plain carrot cake muffins. Well, I guess I made them for me, too. I guess I can't bake without indulging. So maybe I'll keep that to the weekends, but I usually go to a bakery for my S.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:14 am

You may have to limit some things now, but you will be able to bake without sampling at some point. Do your best to make it easy on yourself until the habit becomes more natural.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:46 am

I totally understand. I sometimes have a hard time keeping myself from snacking on my son's crackers.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

My approach was different - I tried to build good habits in my kid too! There's a very good book named something like "How to get your kids to eat - but not too much" that I found useful.

Basically, regular meals (with maybe plannedsnacks when very little or in a growth spurt) helped my kid be less picky. I have noticed he eats better when I don't allow/encourage random snacking.

At the same time, it does get easier to ignore "other people's food" over time. So hang in there!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm

My kinds have been known to try to force feed me sweets on N-days ("daddy, just have one little bite!"), so I hear you about the difficulties. :-)

Still, it's more comprehensible to them than any other diet I can think of. And even though we don't inflict strict no-s on them, their eating habits are loosely informed by it (meal based eating and major treats saved for S-days). I don't have a problem with "a meal called snack" for kids (and even for some adults). It's the permasnacking (and procrastineating) that's the real problem

Reinhard