Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Have To

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Have To

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

I didn't have any S-Events this weekend. Why?

Didn't feel like it. I've felt grumpy and probably unusually hard to please, so nothing seemed cool enough for me to have. (If offered a "Death By Chocolate" from the Trellis restaurant in Williamsburg, VA, I would have taken it in a heartbeat, mind. When I'm too cranky to want that, you can put me to bed with a shovel).

I often have a snack or a sweet on S-days just because I CAN. This weekend was an interesting revelation for me. Just because I could didn't mean I HAD to if I didn't feel like it. There was nothing around awesome enough in my picky mind to deserve it, and I wasn't physically hungry except at mealtimes (though I did make Cornish Pastys for dinner -- a fat-laden, carb-intensive feast I rarely make because it's too labor-intensive even for my cooking hobby self), so it wasn't as if I didn't indulge a bit and have something tasty. It's just that it happened to be N-day acceptable.

That said, I'm not going to make a specific effort to have a repeat of this weekend. If I feel like snacking or sweets just because I can, I probably will. I'm not going to put additional pressure on myself. I'm just seeing this as a habits taking over sort of thing, and leave it at that. If I FEEL picky, fine. If I don't, I'm not going to sweat it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I had a light S day on Saturday... I almost went through the day with No sweet, but then I went to my mom's and had some cake. But no big deal. But yesterday I had gone to the bakery and took a few bites of a danish and brownie and wrapped the rest up for later or to just let my husband eat. Then I was out all day and skipped lunch and was starving and gulped down the bakery goodies while driving. I was very displeased with myself. It didn't taste good but I ate it anyway because it was there. I need to find that stop button on the weekends because I find myself eating it because I can, not because I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain