walking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

walking

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Perhaps I should ask this on Urban Ranger, but does anyone know of any walking programs that a person can listen to on a CD player or something while walking? I went to the site for WATP but everything looked like it was meant for using at home.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

connorcream

Re: walking

Post by connorcream » Sun May 09, 2010 7:20 pm

oolala53 wrote:Perhaps I should ask this on Urban Ranger, but does anyone know of any walking programs that a person can listen to on a CD player or something while walking? I went to the site for WATP but everything looked like it was meant for using at home.
Very true about WATP. It is a program for in home use. Are you looking for aerobic activities to do while walking or music with a certain beat to keep pace with or perhaps something else altogether?
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:27 am

I just started walking again and I stop at intervals and jump rope for a minute or do some leg exercises for saddlebags. I used to do this all the time, but I'm uneven in keeping time. I guess I was thinking if there was a walking program with the right beat plus timed intervals, I could get and keep my heart rate up without having to use a timer or just guessing.

I'm doing this a lot to get in shape for dancing. I want to do something relatively cheap so I can spend most of my money on lessons or going to clubs.

I have some in-home walking tapes. I don't think they are Leslie Sansone, but they are pretty good. However, I want to take advantage of living in San Diego! Actually, it will be getting too hot to work out hard outside in about 2 months, but in the mean time...

I guess I should invest in an Mp3 player or something, as I think CD's are pretty outmoded. But you can get them used!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon May 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Howdy,
I think my ansewrs will run towards an iTouch because that is what I use so much. That may not be what you want to do. I can make voice memos with my iTouch, much like what Reinhart does in his Range Walking suggestions. As an example: I wanted to have an interval of times, I could record 10 minutes for walking, jump rope for 1 minute, then say walk 10 minutes, then say jump rope 1 minute. I think it would take some adjusting but if it something you would use often, then it would be time well spent. A program already developed however, though not tailored to what you specifically would want, would allow for immediate use.

I get the San Diego thing. Our family lived in SD for 6 yrs while we were both going to UCSD for grad school. We still have dear friends there and visit whenever possible. Friday, we would grill salmon at Scripps on our little hibachi, looking over the pacific. What an awesome memory we enjoy to this day!
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I too use an iPod, and have downloaded a bunch of stuff...
- Peppy music or other shows that I like to listen to.
- The Couch-to-5K walking/running plan (it assumes you can walk for 20 minutes, and gradually adds running intervals)
- Audiobooks

Any of these work well for walking.

There are also online places that will map your walk, so you can figure out your desired distance and just listen to anything until you cover it.

When I was walking, I would work by time, since that was often my limiter. I'd just look at how much time I intended to walk, go in any direction until I'd used half of it, then turn and go back. I liked seeing how "half" covered more distance as I got in better shape!

Good luck!

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Mon May 10, 2010 4:36 pm

I like listening to my mp3 player on shuffle, and I adjust my walking pace to the tempo of the song. This provides a built-in interval workout as when a fast-paced dance song comes on I will really be booting it, but then a ballad comes along and I get a bit of a rest. :)

Another thing you might try if you do get an mp3 player is search for "podercise". These are podcasts that have a determined beats per minute on all the songs, and at intervals there's a voice telling you how long you've worked out for. You could do your jumping jacks whenever the voice comes on.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:58 pm

This is awesome! Oh, technology. Got to work this out this summer.

connorcream, I have not bbq'd at the beach in forever. What a great idea! Now I just have to find some people to do it with.

Thank you all. But I don't mean to shut down any more suggestions.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 24, 2010 2:40 am

Collagevideo.com has several sets of cd's which are meant as walking/workout music. They move at different beats per minute so you can pick some to match your pace. If you order them you can put them in your iPod and just go!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")