Yummy Oatmeal variation...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Yummy Oatmeal variation...

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Since Oatmeal, the breakfast of NoS champions, is one of our leaders faves, I thought I'd mention a great way of having your oatmeal and making it somewhat more filling, nutritious, and YUMMY!

Simply add a teaspoon or two of peanut butter into it when you are pouring in the water and milk...
Wow... You will love it!!!

This also solves the problem I had with oatmeal as a meal alone.. There simply wasn't enough protein and staying power when I ate it on it's own, being mainly carbohydrates..

Try it! You'll feel like you are eating a hot peanut butter oatmeal cookie!
Mmmmmmm......

Have a nice day all..
Love,
8) Deb

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:52 pm

...or for you more serious peanut butter lovers like me...do as I did this morning and follow up that bowl of oatmeal with a spoonfull of the good stuff straight!! It really helped tide me over until lunch today.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:32 pm

that sounds yummy Deb! do you use instant or the cook on the stove type? :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:14 am

My favorite, from www.whfoods.org

Perfect Oatmeal

"Make sure you use good quality rolled oats for this recipe instead of quick oats, It is well worth the couple extra minutes of cooking time.

2¼ cups water
dash salt
1 cup regular rolled oats
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Combine the water and salt in a small saucepan and turn the heat to high.
2. When the water boils, turn the heat to low, add oatmeal, and cook, stirring, until the water is just absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts, stir, cover the pan and turn off heat. Let set for 5 minutes."

My Sweetie doesn't like walnuts (I do!) so I often cook this up with cashews instead.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Those oatmeal suggestions sound deeeeeelish.
I have an oatmeal recipe but it's definately only S day material.
As soon as I find the recipe...I'll post it.
It has, um, a little bit of ice cream included :)
Sorry!

creaky

Post by creaky » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 am

I add a banana to my oatmeal before cooking it for 2 minutes at 70% in the microwave.

I also add chia seed gel to my oatmeal, rice, couscous or any grain I cook. I found out about chia seeds a few weeks ago when researching using fish oil supplements to treat dry eye syndrome. I ordered a trial sample from http://www.quackcenter.com/seedsofrebellion.html and will order more from http://menu4life.anthill.com/ . I make 2 cups of chia seed gel by adding 2 tbsp to 2 cups of water, shake well, and let it sit for 48 hours. It gets really thick. I then add the gel to my oatmeal, rice, etc and use it over my salads. It's tasteless and adds the right kinds of fat to my diet.

Creaky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:15 am

Cha cha cha chia!!!
LOL...

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:36 pm

I had oatmeal this am, with an apple cut up in it- yummy! I also had a little container of yogurt to give me some protein, but let me tell you I was unimpressed- it was the whipped yogurt and it really had a NASTY texture to it IMHO. Well, won't be doing THAT again LOL.
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:54 pm

Oatmeal is my favorite of all favorite breakfasts. I love the peanut butter idea, Deb! Definitely going to try that.

Usually I have mine with raisins and vanilla soymilk.