commit to one month

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

aGAgirl1

commit to one month

Post by aGAgirl1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi, everyone. I have been toying with this plan on and off for about one year. I've never stuck with it for more than a week or two. I always give up, not because the plan is difficult, but because I think it's too easy and livablel to work. So, I did another stint with WW and lost around 8 pounds and put them right back on. So maybe if I'd have stuck with NoS for this past year I'd be a little lighter by now. I always think with WW points that I know I can lose if I stick with it, but it is frustratingly hard to stick with for more than a few days. So, I have to make myself stick this out for at least a month to really give it a fair shot. I am my own worst enemy and my mind starts thinking that there's a quicker or better way. Apparently there isn't a better way. I guess I just wanted to declare in "public" that I am committing to one month. We'll see what happens.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Welcome back..your story is like so many of us here! Good luck.. don't make this harder than it is! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:16 am

You can do this!
Keep logging in and stay accountable! We'll support you!
Liz

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 am

Welcome back and not only can you do this, but it will work.

I'd give it longer than a month -- maybe 3 or even 6 months. This isn't a quick weight loss plan, but it's likely to be more sustainable weight loss.

I think it's more sustainable because you don't do anything different to maintain the weight loss than you did to lose it. It's something you can do for a lifetime.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I agree with wosnes. As soon as I read the original post, I was thinking, one month is what'll take just to get in the groove. Personally, I use No S as a framework for my eating, but I know I need to move also in order to burn the calories and lose weight. Good luck!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I don't want to inundate you with too much. Go ahead and think of a month at a time, but I also want you to consider how long overeating has been a problem for you, how much you overeat at a time, whether it's double French fries at lunch or a half gallon of ice cream at a sitting several days a week, and just how truly at the end of your rope you are. (The last two were me.) All I mean is there are a lot of variables that go into how fast this will stick. If it's not a breeze and hasn't lost you a lot of weight after a month, it is not proof that it isn't your best option. Personally, I realized that I had spent 40 years looking for the plan that was going to take a few weeks or possibly months to get easy. It never happened. I accepted that it would likely take a year of 80-90% compliance before I could say I had given it a chance. (This was also after having failed at No S any more than two 21-day stints over 14 months.) Therefore, I had to choose a plan that sounded reasonable for a year. Compared to everything else, it did, but I did start not believing I could go 5 days without sugar. However, I did for about 12 straight weeks! So much for if you think you can't, you can't.

That being said, welcome! You really are in the right place. Don't purposely eat "diet" meals, but don't be surprised if some of your meals as time goes on aren't something like a WW meal plus a snack in one sitting. That's what mine often are just because I like the mix of crunch to have about half of my meal as vegetables and a piece of fruit. I knew even before No S that even if I let myself eat whatever I wanted, I wasn't always going to choose a plate of pizza. It's too filling and I don't feel my best afterwards. Plus, I don't get hungry for the next meal and I love getting hungry for that meal! That's the simple truth. But it's out of choice, not because it's all that's allowed. So different!

Giddyap!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

batty

When are you starting this month?

Post by batty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm in too, but I have problems with starting things on the 1st, on Mondays, etc.

I'd like to bite the bullet and begin a month right now, except it's an S day!

I don't care about that today, though. I just need to get started, to feel like I've started and committed to throwing all the diets away and finally committing to something I can do without a bunch of hassle, equipment, limitations of types of foods, etc.

So, today, Saturday, an S day, and the last week of the month, June 26th: I'm starting now to eat no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.

On July 26th I'll have a good look at my progress. Until then, I think I better get me a personal track record going here on the blogs!!!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Batty, you might consider giving yourself one S-event each day this weekend just so you don't have to go 7 days of No S your first week. Remember, some people start just by incorporating one S at a time.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Batty, an S day is the perfect time to start -- you cannot fail on an S day.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 am

What I found is that once I had the habit down, then I could fool around more with stricter rules. Meaning, you may not lose at first, but you'll train yourself to skip dessert, snacks, and seconds, and then you can try to cut calories by eating healthier, cutting out junk food, etc.
What Navin said.

aGAgirl1

Post by aGAgirl1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I check these boards everyday, though I don't always post. Best to all of you!!