Thanks Reinhard for NoS book

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Cassie

Thanks Reinhard for NoS book

Post by Cassie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm sure this thread must have been done many many times... but it's nice to show appreciation so thought I'd show mine. So, after more than a year on NoS I finally got round to reading Reinhard's NoS book. If I'm honest, the reason I bought it was just as a (belated) 'thank you' to Reinhard. I didn't expect to learn anything new from it after participating in the bulletin board discussions for the last year. But it's a really excellent read, makes a lot of points that hadn't occurred to me, and also contains lots of NoS wisdom in just one short, easy-to-carry-around book. Really recommend it to those of you who haven't bought it yet.

I keep reading bits out loud to my partner by the way, it's quite funny, as he'll end up thinking this Reinhard guy is some sort of diet guru, while in fact he's just a normal, intelligent person who had a brilliant idea that makes SO much sense. I'm becoming more & more evangelical about NoS & want to buy / give away copies to friends who are yo-yo dieters but somehow I'm reluctant to as I know it will initially just be seen by them as one more diet book, which it SO isn't....

Anyway this was just to say (one more time): THANKS REINHARD! :)
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

la_loser

Agreed!

Post by la_loser » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:50 pm

I completely agree with you about how helpful reading and re-reading the book has been to me. I was very vocal and nearly "evangelical" at the beginning also, much like anyone who begins anything new, especially when one begins to see success. I have learned through experience to be as subtle as possible unless someone asks about how I've lost weight; then I usually say with a smile, "I'd love to share it with you if you really want to know." It's like any other diet or other life style change-the person has to decide for themselves to do it or not.

And how nice for you to express your appreciation to Reinhard-I'm sure we don't do that often enough!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I like your idea, LA loser, of offering to share only after someone makes a comment. I went a little nuts with one of my friends who said he was interested in losing weight. I even sent him the book! I thought he would like it because he is a pretty logical person, too, and witty. (I think Reinhard is so funny!) We talked later and he admitted he thought it was overboard. I've got to wait for more curiosity.

But, I think the book is a good idea to have. I even have an extra copy ready for when someone IS truly interested.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

la_loser

Me too

Post by la_loser » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:23 pm

I agree, again. I bought a half dozen or so early on and have given them to those who are truly interested. Several times, I've printed out the first few pages of the website info and shared it, with the promise that if the person is more curious to tell me and I'll give them the book.

I figure it's the least I can do to pass the word along and buying a few books is a small way to thank Reinhard.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I definitely agree that it's not a good idea to push something like this on to somebody, however much of a weight problem they have & however much they discuss their weight problem. I feel in my heart that NoS is not so much a diet. Rather it's a structure of sensible, moderate eating that helps with diet, if that makes sense. But one needs to get to that point on their own, to feel they're done with conventional diets & yo-yo dieting & want something more moderate & permanent. It's a very personal journey and I feel that if someone reaches the end of their tether with diets they might well discover NoS (or something similar, e.g. Michael Pollan's rules) on their own... Still, like you said, I'm happy to talk about NoS to anyone who is genuinely interested.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Hear, hear on the thanks. I have to admit, every time I hear another story on the news about the looming tide of obesity in Western society, I sort of think, "Yeah, but we've got a solution to that, now. If everyone would just do NoS, we'd be all set." :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:42 pm

As noted above, I guess people have to reach the end of their ropes, though, even in the face of looming obesity.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 pm

oolala53 wrote:As noted above, I guess people have to reach the end of their ropes, though, even in the face of looming obesity.
Yes, people have to be ready to hear the idea, and I realize it's not as simple as just handing everyone a copy of the book.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 pm

I wouldn't loan my copy out to anyone. But, I might just buy a few copies to keep on hand. I got my copy from paperbackswap.com. I'm Kajunfriend on there. It's a nice site where you swap books with people. I had this book on my wishlist for a while and someone finally sent it to me. I started this plan right away and read the book after I got started. I'd pretty much studied the book! I'm reading it for the second time now and underlining important stuff or things I want to remember.
AutismMom