Article on Snacking (Might Be of Interest)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janie47

Article on Snacking (Might Be of Interest)

Post by janie47 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 am

Frequent snacking a consumer trend
By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star

FRED BLOCHER
Three square meals a day is becoming a thing of the past as more people opt to eat more often. On a recent visit to the Power & Light District, Justin Montoya (left) and his brother, Stephen Montoya, picked out snacks at Cosentino’s Market, 10 E. 13th St.
onlookers off their feet Attempt to set a record turns a lake into noodle soup Shortly before 11 a.m. on a Friday, Justin Montoya is ready to chow down on honey barbecue wings and some of his brother’s entree salad at Cosentino’s Market Downtown.

But Montoya isn’t calling this meal lunch. He calls it a snack because he plans to eat again in a couple of hours, perhaps broiling some steaks from the fridge or having a sandwich and chips, then dinner around 7 p.m., and later, around 9 or 10 p.m., maybe a double cheeseburger at McDonald’s.

Three square meals a day is so yesterday.

Today snacking is in, and more substantial snacks at that — from mid-morning iced chocolate coffee drinks with whipped cream to mid-afternoon chicken wraps to happy hour half-priced appetizers and late-night tacos and hamburger sliders.

Consumers are turning to snacks as a more convenient way to wolf down food on the run, to take care of a craving, relieve stress or boredom, or just because they need a quick energy boost, according to surveys by market research firm the NPD Group.

Many snackers say they are following the advice of some weight loss plans that contend eating more often may keep their metabolisms revved up digesting food. They also say it allows for more portion control.

Montoya, for one, claims a high metabolism allows him to eat as often as he wants without getting fat.

Of course, some warn that the increased snacking makes it more difficult to count calories and is just another manifestation of the nation’s obesity problem.

Nutritionists say that while eating more often can help control blood sugar levels, a plus for diabetics, snacking has not been proven to raise metabolisms significantly.

Whatever the reason to snack more, it’s a trend restaurant analysts weren’t expecting in a poor economy as shoppers cut back on discretionary purchases. But consumers have changed their definition of a snack and restaurants have taken note, reeling them in with a range of snack selections.

Indeed. Menu descriptors such as “snack,†“snackable†or “snacker†have increased a staggering 170 percent since 2007, and the growth is expected to continue as restaurants ramp up their offerings, according to Mintel International, a global consumer market research group.

But consumers consider that just about any menu item can be a snack — salad, yogurt, fruits and vegetables, side dishes, appetizers, bakery items, even sandwiches.

All told, snacking at quick- and full-service restaurants, vending machines and mobile vending operations is estimated to be a $20.3 billion market and is expected to grow 6.9 percent by 2014, to $21.6 billion. Quick service operations will get the majority of that market, with vending/mobile units losing market share as consumers start returning to restaurants more frequently, Mintel said.

“Snacks are providing a huge opportunity right now for restaurants ranging from quick service to fine dining,†said Eric Giandelone, director of food service research at Mintel. “By innovating menus with various snacking options, restaurants can boost sales throughout the day and drive guest traffic during nonpeak hours.â€

Boston Market — known for its hearty comfort meals — introduced three “Market Sliders†in May. While it’s possible some customers are ordering the sliders — barbecue chicken and cheddar, meatloaf and cheddar, or turkey and Swiss cheese — instead of a meal, managers are seeing new and sometimes younger customers ordering them as a snack midafternoon.

“We’re getting guests we’ve never seen before,†said Lane Cardwell, president and chief executive officer of Boston Market in Golden, Colo.

The chain may introduce more “snack†options this fall.

Other “snack-size me†options include:

•Subway’s six-inch sub.

•Long John Silver’s Lobster Bites Snack Box.

•Caribou Coffee’s chocolate-based specialty drinks (such as the Turtle Mocha made with Guittard chocolate, steamed milk, espresso, caramel syrup, whipped cream and Snickers bits).

•McDonald’s Big Mac Snack Wrap — Big Mac ingredients inside a wrap instead of triple bun. The chain also has a smaller McFlurry ice cream cup and last week, it started offering strawberry banana and wild berry smoothies, with or without yogurt. Some operations are trying to create new mealtimes. Einstein Bros. Bagels tested a “Snack-Out Menu†in Salt Lake City this spring — miniature bagel burgers, wraps, quesadillas, along with its pizza bagels and bagel dogs designed for dining from 2 to 5 p.m., but declined to comment on the results. Taco Bell has its very successful Fourthmeal promotion (the meal between dinner and breakfast).

Full-service restaurants are big on small plates (also known as appetizers or tapas), often offering them at half price during happy hour.

“People are always looking for a good deal whether there is a recession or not,†said Eddie Crane, owner of The Drop in Midtown. “This becomes an oasis where they can stay for awhile after work while traffic thins out, and then they also might stay for dinner. It has helped sustain my business.â€

Sales of traditional at-home snacks also have soared. The potato chip market has grown 22 percent during the economic downturn, according to Mintel, and sales of other salty items — tortilla chips, popcorn and cheese snacks — are up, too.

While some consumers are replacing meals with snacks, in some cases they’re increasing the length of their mealtimes. This could have consequences, said Crissy Kaleekal, director of clinical nutrition for the University of Kansas Hospital.

“The bottom line is the amount of calories you are getting from the food you are eating,†Kaleekal said. “A bowl of popcorn has much less than a bowl of barbecue chicken wings and will contribute to your gain in weight. A snack should be higher in fiber. It is a filler to tide you over to the next meal.â€

Jason Dalen started eating five times a day as part of a diet plan and dropped 45 pounds in just a few months. He recently sipped on a lemonade vodka concoction at The Drop but resisted the small plates.

“I still eat five meals a day, but now I’ll have cheese cubes and Wheat Thins, crackers and hummus as a snack,†Dalen said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we snack
Most consumers say their snacking habits have changed in some way in the last two years. More than half say they snack at least once a day, and more than one-third say they are choosing healthier options than two years ago.

68 percent

snack between lunch and dinner

36 percent

midevening

38 percent

late at night

30 percent

midmorning

To reach Joyce Smith, call 816-234-4692 or send e-mail to jsmith@kcstar.com. Source: Technomic

klm101 wrote on 7/6/2010 5:08:38 AM:
Restaurants/grocery stores LOVE it when customers spend more money on food! As far as eating more than three times a day...the proper way is to ensure that what you are eating is not high in fat content/calories/carbs. And we all know that too many are not as active as they should be to burn off the fat/calories because it is too easy to sit in front of the tv or computer. Going to a fitness center is great; but those who choose to eat the wrong foods (or drink too much alcohol) defeat the purpose.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm

It kills me that they list a 6" subway sub as a snack item!! That's often what I have for dinner.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Spudd wrote:It kills me that they list a 6" subway sub as a snack item!! That's often what I have for dinner.
Yup, a six-inch Subway is a "go-to" meal for me when I have to eat out and need it to be fast. Can't believe it's considered a SNACK!!

What do these people's meals look like, and how do they tell the difference?)

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I read this article & was astounded by the amount of food these people eat!!! :shock:

Good question by KCCC: if these are their snacks, I can't even begin to imagine what their meals look like!!
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Ah! You guys already beat me to the punch. Whenever we get Subway (which is rare), I always get a 6". And that'll be my dinner or lunch. A snack to me, in my definition, is something small, less than 100 calories. If I started eating Subway 6" sammies for "snack", I'd gain weight pretty quickly lol!

Also, it's quite laughable that people are drinking frozen lattes as snacks! More like a sugar-rush!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:53 pm

That guy who thinks he can eat whatever he wants without getting fat probably has a nasty shock coming, later in life. At least, that's what happened to me. :)

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am

Nichole, it depends on your size and weight too ... 100 calories is not a lot for a snack .. I'd say at least 200-250 in my case, heh.

Remember, when you build muscles, you need more calories ... It means you burn more too even when you aren't doing anything special, that's why often guys have an easier time losing weight or maintaining ... more muscles, more calories required so if a man restricts himself a lil' bit he can lose weight faster and/or have an easier time keeping it off.

For the ladies, all hope is not lost of course, If they develop their muscles more, it helps a lot in the long run to catch up with the boys. You can be lean and mean, I'm not talkin' about a bodybuilder's physique here of course. :-)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 192 Pounds