Incredible Success!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kassabma

Incredible Success!

Post by kassabma » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:03 am

Hi fellow lovers and followers of the No S Diet! I am a newbie here - have been a lurker but am now going to take the plunge and post about my great success I have had thus far with the No S way of life!

I started the No S Diet on Memorial Day (Monday, May 31). Since then I have lost an incredible 16.8 pounds! I cannot believe it! I am thrilled with my success thus far and am really committed to keep going with this.

I have added in exercise as much as I can - which lately has been more than usual, as I am an English teacher on summer break! I am currently enjoying the Slim in Six workouts with Debbie Siebers - I highly recommend this series, by the way.

What astounds me the most is the fact that I am not hungry and have not been tempted at all to snack. This is really odd for me, as every other "diet" I have ever been on has never had this effect on me. Even further to my shock is the fact that I can go without sweets - I never thought that I would ever be able to say that! I have a hard time referring to the No S Diet as an actual diet, because I really believe this is more of a way of life and a lifestyle change than a diet.

The No S Diet has really changed my relationship with food for the better. I am not obsessing about food and have found myself on more than one occasion getting too full to even complete what was on my plate. I swear to you, this has NEVER happened to me, so I find this to be super exciting! This diet seems to have changed the way my body utilizes food, and I am delighted!

The No S Diet seems to have hit on all three of my biggest downfalls - snacks, sweets, and seconds! I never thought I could do without any of these, but for some reason - my body really is responding well to life without those pesky "s" entities!

Anyway, I just wanted to post my success and introduce myself. My name is Maya, I am almost 36 years old (August birthday!). As stated before, I am a high school English teacher in Michigan. I have a seven year old, and I am married to a sheriff's deputy for the county in which we live. I am thrilled to become part of this community. I can't wait to get to know more about everyone here!

Thanks for taking the time to read! :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:24 am

Welcome Maya & congratulations on your weight loss/wonderful success with No S! It sounds like you've taken to No S beautifully. :D I look forward to seeing you around the Boards. :D

P.S. It sounds like we have a few things in common. I'm a fellow 35 year old Michigander who is a mom to a 7 year old. :lol: :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:09 am

Hi Maya. It sounds like NoS was made for you. I'm really happy for your success so far. Can't wait to hear more about you and your family, life.
Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 am

I'm so happy for the new relationship you have with food. What a joy!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:07 pm

I've been thinking about why NoS works so well for me, and I think one reason is the "lifestyle change" you mention. Making a big lifestyle change sounds like a huge and intimidating prospect, but NoS lets one sneak up on it: just follow these simple rules, you can do that, right? Before you know it, you've made a lifestyle change, without ever going through that scary process of declaring "I am now going to change my lifestyle".

Congratulations on your success!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Amazing :lol:

I can "hear" your excitement.

I lost 20 pounds and got well below my goal weight last year so I know the plan works, I was never hungry, I lived like a normal perosn - never had to say I can't have breakfast, lunch, dinner or a piece of cake at a birthday party because I was on a "diet". Lapsed a bit but I have been back a week, lost several pounds and gained control again.

I agre that exercise is a very, very important component.

Thanks for posting and welcome.

Success stories motivate others.
Berry

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Welcome, kassabma, and congratulations!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 am

sophiasapientia wrote:Welcome Maya & congratulations on your weight loss/wonderful success with No S! It sounds like you've taken to No S beautifully. :D I look forward to seeing you around the Boards. :D

P.S. It sounds like we have a few things in common. I'm a fellow 35 year old Michigander who is a mom to a 7 year old. :lol: :D
Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, we do have lots in common already! We are in Northern Lower Michigan, how about you? 7 year olds are the best, aren't they? We sure are having a fun summer here!! Hope you are too!!!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:03 am

dmarie710 wrote:Hi Maya. It sounds like NoS was made for you. I'm really happy for your success so far. Can't wait to hear more about you and your family, life.
Denise
Hi Denise! I totally agree - NoS has really been an amazing asset to me already! Thank you for your kind words, and I too look forward to getting to know you as well! Thanks!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:04 am

oolala53 wrote:I'm so happy for the new relationship you have with food. What a joy!
It is indeed a joy - this is honestly the FIRST time EVER I can honestly say that I have a non-obsessive relationship with food. I still have a journey ahead of me, but WOW, what a darn good start! Thank you for your thoughts!!!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 am

DaveMc wrote:I've been thinking about why NoS works so well for me, and I think one reason is the "lifestyle change" you mention. Making a big lifestyle change sounds like a huge and intimidating prospect, but NoS lets one sneak up on it: just follow these simple rules, you can do that, right? Before you know it, you've made a lifestyle change, without ever going through that scary process of declaring "I am now going to change my lifestyle".

Congratulations on your success!
I think you are so very right on about the change sneaking up on you! Otherwise, I probably would never have bought into it if I thought I had to partake in some "huge and intimidating prospect." I think the simplicity of NoS is something that made complete and utter sense to me. It was almost like I said to myself, "Well, duh - I can totally do three rules." And to my shock and amazement, by gosh, I CAN do it! I totally went into it thinking, well I will give it a try, why not?!? Never did I think I would experience such awesome success. I just can't wait to see where my journey ends up taking me! It is very exciting!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me and for your thoughts on my post!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 am

Strawberry Roan wrote:Amazing :lol:

I can "hear" your excitement.

I lost 20 pounds and got well below my goal weight last year so I know the plan works, I was never hungry, I lived like a normal perosn - never had to say I can't have breakfast, lunch, dinner or a piece of cake at a birthday party because I was on a "diet". Lapsed a bit but I have been back a week, lost several pounds and gained control again.

I agre that exercise is a very, very important component.

Thanks for posting and welcome.

Success stories motivate others.
I am glad that my excitement comes across - because I am SUPER excited about this! It is life changing for me, in the best way possible. You are right - bottom line is that this plan DOES work. I particularly enjoy your statement about living like a NORMAL person. This is the first time that I have ever felt even remotely normal about my relationship with food, and I am loving every minute of it. Thank you for your comments on my post!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, we do have lots in common already! We are in Northern Lower Michigan, how about you? 7 year olds are the best, aren't they? We sure are having a fun summer here!! Hope you are too!!!
We are in southern MI ... It certainly has been a goregous spring and summer. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and am glad that you are too. :D And, I totally agree that 7 is a great age. They are old enough to be somewhat independent but young enough that they are still sweet and enjoy hanging out with the 'rents. :wink: Very fun! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Congratulations, kassabma! And thank you for letting us know.

Since this meets the "rule of 10s" criterion for a testimonial, I hope you don't mind if you link to it from the testimonials announcement discussion?

Reinhard

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:42 pm

reinhard wrote:Congratulations, kassabma! And thank you for letting us know.

Since this meets the "rule of 10s" criterion for a testimonial, I hope you don't mind if you link to it from the testimonials announcement discussion?

Reinhard
Most excellent! Thanks!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Your story is so motivating! I am so happy for you.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Congratulatons on your success! :D

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Even more success to report! As of today, I am officially down twenty (yes TWENTY) pounds since Memorial Day!!! This is so wonderful! I know most people tend to lighten up naturally during the summers because of being more active and what not, but for me, summers have traditionally been a time for me to struggle more with my weight. As a high school teacher, I have summers off, which is obviously amazing. But with all of that down time, I usually find time to feed any boredom or down time with food. Not so this summer.

I really feel that conquering my food demons in the summer has set me up for a great success in my future weight loss endeavors. During the school year, I am busy busy busy and don't have time to obsess about food or (over)think about it because of too much downtime. It's a lot easier to be faithful to any eating plan or lifestyle change during the school year because I am occupied, physically and mentally.

I always have my yearly physical in the fall with my family doctor, and I usually dread it just because it has always been a yearly weigh in for me to usually see how poorly I have been taking care of myself... but this time, I can go in and hold my head up high and not think about how disappointed I am in myself (and worry about how disappointed my doctor is with me). I can't wait to get on that scale and for my doctor to say "WHOA!"

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention this - I have not been able to exercise much at all for the past couple of weeks because of a broken toe... so this seems even more awesome that the pounds are still coming off!!!

la_loser

Awesome!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Impressive-congratulations!

As a fellow educator, I can tell you that continuing this into the school year will easier than you might think. Having those "intelligent dietary default" to fall back on for breakfast and lunch will help. The challenge will be all those goodies that people seem to bring to put on the "break room" table, the snacks at meetings, etc. It helps to walk right past those things and take that time to check email or visit with a colleague about something you've been meaning to ask, etc.

And ooh, that toe thing--not fun. Been there, done that. I've thought before that maybe steel toed shoes would be a good thing to add to my wardrobe!

Enjoy your last few days or weeks of vacation. I go back full time the 9th! Yikes!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kassabma

Re: Awesome!

Post by kassabma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm

LA_Loser wrote:Impressive-congratulations!

As a fellow educator, I can tell you that continuing this into the school year will easier than you might think. Having those "intelligent dietary default" to fall back on for breakfast and lunch will help. The challenge will be all those goodies that people seem to bring to put on the "break room" table, the snacks at meetings, etc. It helps to walk right past those things and take that time to check email or visit with a colleague about something you've been meaning to ask, etc.

And ooh, that toe thing--not fun. Been there, done that. I've thought before that maybe steel toed shoes would be a good thing to add to my wardrobe!

Enjoy your last few days or weeks of vacation. I go back full time the 9th! Yikes!
Oh my gosh - aren't teachers/educators the WORST for being food pushers??? Especially the sweets. My goodness!!! I can't tell you how many times there are "treats" in our office, in the main office, in the individual grade offices. It's terrible. Holiday times we have this thing called "Season's Eatings" and it's basically like an evil buffet of homemade goodies and gluttony. Even last year, not even being on a diet at the time, my common sense kicked in and I told myself to not even go down there to be tempted! So, thank you for your encouragement. I have already been thinking of some intelligent defaults and I am certain I will be just fine!!!

Yeah - the toe thing - so not fun! What is terrible is that I broke mine and then I kid you not, my seven year old broke the exact same toe about a week and a half later. Talk about no fun! I just had him xrayed and all that fun stuff two days ago. I know they don't do anything for adults, but wasn't sure about kids so took him in to be safe. Guess what - same thing for kids - they don't do much! Buddy tape, ice, and motrin! Go figure!

Oh man - going back soon huh? Enjoy your last few weeks of freedom! We don't go back until after Labor Day... which is, of course, creeping up already!

Take care and best wishes for your upcoming school year! P.S. What do you teach?

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Congratulations!

I keep coming back to NoS, because it's sane and sustainable.
I just recently came "off" attempting to do a paleo diet. (no grains, dairy or sweets). I am actually ok with no wheat, as I'm gluten intolerant, but who doesn't want a nice plate of (gluten free) spaghetti and meatballs now and again?
Who doesn't want a treat now and then? NoS is clearly IT.
I've been on noS again for 2 days and dropped 3 lbs! So clearly, right there, that says something!

Glad you found noS! :) I've been off and on since Dec '06.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18