Your family and No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kassabma

Your family and No S

Post by kassabma » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:36 am

Hi All!

I am just wondering about how No S has impacted your family members.

I started thinking about this because today while having dinner, my seven year old informed my niece, "My mom and I are on the No S diet." My eyes got as wide as saucers as I looked at him, because I have never talked to him about this. I have talked to my husband about it, of course, and I am sure my son overheard our conversations, but I had no idea that he was taking it all in! Hilariously, he actually has all three rules down and articulated them perfectly to his cousin, right down to the S days encompassing "Special" days as your life necessitates. I thought it was the cutest thing ever!

My husband also took me by surprise because as we were headed off to our local Cherry Festival and the accompanying carnival, he asked me if I was going to get my customary Elephant Ear. I informed him that I was not going to get one because it was not the weekend and it didn't really sound good anyway. Well, the next thing out of his mouth was, "Well, why don't you just make this an S day then?" Unbeknownst to me, he has been reading my No S Diet book, as it is on my nightstand! I couldn't believe he knew anything more than that I was simply on the No S diet! His suggestion to turn it into an S day was shocking - he knows my lingo now! He's on to me!

Anyway, just wondering about the rest of you - how cognizant are your family members of your No S endeavors? Anyone have family members intrigued enough to try it out themselves? What do your family members think of your efforts?

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:11 pm

After years of watching me be on all kinds of crazy diets -- low carb, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Sommercizing, Slimfast, you name it -- my DH thinks that No S is brilliant. :lol: :wink: My DH has always been able to maintain a good weight naturally so he doesn't really follow No S himself, although he does follow the spirit of No S. He is happy that I'm happy and that I've found a way to "balance the books" by eating normal food and without stressing out or deprivation. :idea: 8)

My slender 7 year old knows all about No S and thinks it is a hoot. :lol: She isn't on No S either -- she has a planned afternoon snack and will sometimes have a sweet, like a homemade cookie or something, during the week. But she knows all the "Rules" and I've overheard her telling other folks about them a few times. :lol: :oops: I finally feel good about the example I'm setting for her with moderate eating and exercise. Hopefully, she'll be able to sidestep having "weight struggles" as she gets older.

Overall, my family is very supportive about the No S way of life which definitely makes things easier. :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

getoka

Post by getoka » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Please tell me what on earth an Elephant Ear is? :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

getoka wrote:Please tell me what on earth an Elephant Ear is? :D
Elephant Ears are fried yeast dough. They can be topped with confectioner's sugar, or sugar and cinnamon.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

getoka

Post by getoka » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Ooh I could just eat one now, but I think I'll wait for my dinner :wink: Thank you Wosnes!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Ha ha! Sorry about that - should have know that an elephant ear might not be known by everyone!! Too funny!! Thanks Wosnes for clarifying!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:20 pm

DH knows what it is but is not keen on getting fully on board. I've mentioned NoS a few times to DS1 who just finished up his active service with the Marines. Now that he won't be required to maintain weight (and the Marines do require it) or to run 3 miles in 24 minutes, I hope this will be a tool so he can maintain his fitness. In terms of endurance and strength, he's got a lot of both. It would be a shame to let that fizzle away. I set the book out on the coffee table in hopes that he will pick it up. We'll see.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Elephant ears sound alot like beignets (ban-yays).

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ets&sz=all

My son is too young to know what I'm doing. He's 6, but has Autism. My husband knows I'm doing something since I always have the book in my hand and the fact that he likes to bring me home treats now and then and I keep having to remind him I can't have this or that until the weekend. So, he knows I'm doing something but hasn't come out and asked yet.
AutismMom