Struggling today...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

July2010

Struggling today...

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Had to wake up alot ealier this morning than usual. I'm having trouble with the thought of only eatting 3 meals in a day that is LONG.

I usually do my meals at 10 am, 2 pm and 6 pm on a normal day. This morning I woke up at 6:30 and by 9 I felt like really hungry. I knew I had to take my son to therapy for 2 today, so I moved breakfast to 9 since I was hungry anyways and I'll eat lunch for 1 before therapy and that means I'll be eatting supper for at least 5. I can't wait more than 4 hours before eatting something because I'm usually at a 10 in a scale of 1-10. I start shaking at a 10. Water will hold me for a little while, but if I drink to much when I'm hungry I just feel nautious. This morning I drank just a little bit of juice (about a cup) until it was time for breakfast.

How long do you go between meals? This is day 4 for me, so my body is still getting used to things I guess.
AutismMom

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 pm

I had a similar problem when I first started noS. My problem was between lunch (1pm) and dinner (usually 7pm but can be much later if I exercise after work). The first thing I tried was a mini meal at about 5pm - just fruit to keep me going. There are no rules about how many meals you eat on noS. It can be as many as you need, particularly if you have a medical reason.
However, I have enjoyed the challenge of working out which foods help me to last through the afternoon, and changing the timings of my meals to get me through. I have slowly phased out my mini meal by doing the following: I have changed my strong afternoon coffee to milky coffee in the afternoon (thanks to Grammy G). I have also delayed my lunch until 2.30 to help me get through to dinner. Adding more fat to lunch (thanks Oolala) also helps. I now cope fine with 3 meals a day - and can eat them at more or less any time.
Experiment with different types of food, times, drinks in between meals - you'll soon learn what works well and what doesn't. There is no rush to get this right because you are developing habits which will last you for the rest of your life. Take it slowly and try to find out what will work for you. Good luck! :D

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Yeah I need to see what will work well drink wise between meals. I try not to drink anything but water, but sometimes I just need a little something to hold me over another hour or so.
AutismMom

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:48 pm

I agree that you might want to consider, at least at first, the addition of a fourth planned extra "mini-meal". I always say that the really hard first step in NoS is getting rid of *random* eating, so if an extra small meal is planned, at least you're not just eating at whim.

It does get easier after a while. I usually eat lunch between noon and 1pm, and dinner between 6 and 7pm, so that's between five and seven hours between meals. When I first started, that was too long, but now it's not a problem.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Its hard at first. What's really surprising (at least it surprised me) is how quickly your body adjusts going longer stretches between meals. It took me less than 2 weeks to feel completely ok with longer between mealtimes, my usual times are around 8.00 am for breakfast, 1.00 pm lunch & 8.00 or 8.30 dinner- and I do fine in between lunch/dinner which in the past seemed like a huge stretch. How long have you been doing NoS for? It does get easier, and if I were you I'd give the 3 meals structure a couple of weeks (persevering even if a bit hard) & then if it really isn't working for your lifestyle I'd add a structured 4th mini meal.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

July2010

Post by July2010 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Today will be day 5 for me. I find once I wake up in the morning I don't really feel so hungry and so I can go 3-4 hours before eatting breakfast, but it's after I eat breakfast it's like lunch can't get here fast enough and then dinner. After dinner I seem fine for the 4-5 hours until bedtime. And then I sleep all night and wake up and don't eat until 10:00. This morning I woke up at 6:30 and waiting till 10 am for breakfast. Some mornings I don't wake up till 8 am. It all depends on what time my son wakes up. Yesterday I drank a little juice because I woke up at 6:30 and couldnt wait till 10:00 to put something to have something. The juice helped me hold over until 10.
AutismMom

la_loser

H2Orange--delicious and refreshing in this heat wave!

Post by la_loser » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:50 am

Welcome to No S!

First of all, be patient in getting used to this new structure. It DOES take some time.

Remember that liquids/beverages are always allowed unless they are of the "dessert" /more sugar than anything else type. i.e. juice, milk, etc. is always ok, even between meals. Obviously you wouldn't want to down a half-gallon of juice a day, but drinking a glass or two will help you get from one meal to another.

Here's a link to a thread I started a couple of years ago; it's been very helpful to me as well as some others too. It's something called H2Orange--a drink you make yourself and keep on hand. I love it!
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

I've begun making mine with grape "Crystal Light" and sometimes instead of using orange juice, I use grape juice. Delicious, you can drink a lot of it and it's a great filler.

Also, I'm guessing you're waiting till 10 am for breakfast because of your child. It is my understanding that the hunger that people often think they feel upon awakening is really thirst; so be sure to drink plenty until that breakfast time arrives. The H2Orange will really help with that.

Enjoy the boards and post often.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

July2010

Post by July2010 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out that link. Actually I wait till 10am for breakfast because at this point I can't go more than 4 hours yet without eatting and so I need to space out my meals 4 hrs apart. 10, 2, 6. Any earlier than 6 for dinner and I'd be starving before bed. Unless I do some type of mini meal maybe or a glass of milk?
AutismMom

talk at ya

Post by talk at ya » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 am

yeah like everyone else said-just give it time. I even posted a thread on here about a week and a half ago because I would feel sick because I hadn't eaten in so long and I would finally eat and the shock on my stomach would make me more sick, and I just felt nautious for the first few days. However, it took about a week and I stopped getting nautious, and I now have no trouble waiting a long time in between meals, even days when I have to eat an early breakfast. it will get better!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 am

May I ask what you eat -- especially for breakfast and lunch?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm

I eat whatever I'm craving as long as it's not against the rules. Sometimes I eat frosted mini wheats. It had alot of fiber and so keeps me full. A couple times for some reason I just wanted the spaghetti I had cooked and so I ate that. I'm not really a bacon and eggs type person. Not for breakfast anyhow. But, I do like cereal. But alot of cereals out there have lots of sugar, so you just gotta be aware.
AutismMom