Exercise videos question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

July2010

Exercise videos question

Post by July2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm

I am wanting to add exercise. What would be some good videos to look for, for beginners? I was looking on amazon for Jillian Michaels or the Biggest Losers and they have almost 5 stars, but with so many....I don't know which to get.

I wish I could just get out and walk, but there's no place around here other than my own back yard or if I made a trip to the mall. I am limited on where I can go due to having a son with Autism. So, thought I'd find some videos and exercise at home.
AutismMom

BrightAngel

Re: Exercise videos question

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm

July2010 wrote: What would be some good videos to look for, for beginners?
Leslie Sansone - "Walk Away the Pounds" is great for beginners.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

July2010

Post by July2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks I actually own some of her videos. I may pull those out until I can find something else. I tend to get bored doing the same thing after a while when it comes to exercise. Hoping to find something new to try.
AutismMom

ironsickel

Re: Exercise videos question

Post by ironsickel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:36 pm

July2010 wrote:I am wanting to add exercise. What would be some good videos to look for, for beginners? I was looking on amazon for Jillian Michaels or the Biggest Losers and they have almost 5 stars, but with so many....I don't know which to get.
I'm not sure how much of a beginner you are, but if you're not afraid to challenge yourself, Tony Horton's Power 90 video set is pretty cool. It's still very challenging if you're a beginner, but definitely gets you moving. The videos are definitely showing their age and are pretty cheesy, but it does what it's supposed to.

Not to be confused with his sequel, Power 90 Extreme (P90X) which is DEFINITELY not for beginners. Approach that one with caution. It's a great program, but you gotta work your way up to that one.

I also like Turbo Jam, or just about anything from Chalene Johnson. She's very cheerful and energetic and has a way of keeping you going.

I personally like both of these video series as they require very minimal space and very minimal use of equipment. A couple free weights, a yoga mat, some towels and a small area to work in and you're just fine.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 am

I'm going to make some recommendations for free stuff so you can get going without having to make up your mind about what is worth spending money on.

Your local library may have some videos to try. Netflicks does, too. That's not free, but if you already have it, you can take advantage. I liked the Tami Lee Web video called I Want That Body! I still use a lot of the exercies she demonstrates on it.

There is a free diet site called Sparkpeople.com. You can ignore all their diet stuff, but they have a big library of exercises with demos of all of them. In addition, they have some 10-minute workouts, and they will recommend a program for you after you have input some data.

Also, there is now a ton of stuff on youtube. You can often see parts of videos from commercial ones. Alternately, check out Bodyweight.com and one I think is called Body TV. The young woman shows a lot of bust, but man, is she strong. I guess she figures she walks the talk, so why not show off. I was going to use a series of exercises recommended for thighs from a different trainer until I hurt my knee, but I'll go back to it. Look for some demos of Tabata protocol. Also, there are demonstrations of Shovelglove exercise! This is just a hodgepodge of suggestions.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

July2010

Post by July2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 am

Thanks you were both very helpful! I will look more into all this in the morning. I stopped by Walmart on my way home and bought The Biggest Loser Cardio Max for only $9 and a couple of 2 pound weights to start with. It had almost 5 stars on amazon with a few hundred people who rated it. So, I'm excited about starting to exercise tomorrow. Gonna start slow and maybe just use it a few times a week until I can build up some strength.

I did good today on the plan. I had my dinner at 6 and went visit my parents and mom was cooking something I really like, but I knew I had already had dinner and said no thank-you! That was a little hard. I normally would of eatten again. But, I know all these small steps will add up to big losses later.
AutismMom

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 am

I'll second Leslie Sansone! I have about 20 of her dvds. I'm more intermediate, but I still pull out some of her more beginner workouts from time to time, just because I enjoy them. Exercise TV has a series called Ultimate Body which is on Amazon. I would say they're more intermediate level, so you may have to work up to them, but all of the segments are anywhere from 2-20 minutes, so they're great for busy moms! Denise Austin may work for you. I find her sort of annoying and I have trouble following her cueing (this is just my personal opinion, you may not mind her at all), but she has a ton of dvd and VHS workouts out there. I can think of at least several that have short segments, so they'd work with your time schedule. I think Jillian Michaels may be a little too difficult for a beginner, but if you followed the low impact modifier, you may be okay. Her workouts are all shorter and use lighter weights. The Biggest Loser has several workouts out that have shorter segments and may work for you.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am

I'm partial to these. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=everydaysystems

(HD versions pending)

Reinhard

July2010

Post by July2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Wow that is some workout! Gonna have to go get me one of those LOL
AutismMom

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Today I'm hurting from the exercise I did. Maybe it's too much too soon for me. Gonna try some "Walk away the pounds" for a few days until I can build up more strength. My hips and back hurt from "The Biggest Losers" workout.
AutismMom

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Definitely don't do too much too soon. Take it easy.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Just realized Reinhard was serious about that exercise thing. Did a search on it and yeah people actually exercise this way. Interesting! Ya learn something new everyday lol
AutismMom

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Second the WATP videos. I have used them for a while and have found them very effective. The toning carries over to other activities- horse back riding, hiking, walking around all day etc... I do 2 miles/day 5x a week unless I have other exercises or early appointments in the morning.

I also use resistance bands during my cool down.

I did not start exercising until I lost about 25#. Carrying an extra 25# is work enough and I knew exercise, important as it is, was not going to be where I would lose my weight.

Best wishes I finding your path.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Just realized Reinhard was serious about that exercise thing. Did a search on it and yeah people actually exercise this way.
Oh, I'm serious all right. And it's not just "people" -- look at the by-line at the bottom.

http://shovelglove.com/

If swinging around a sledgehammer is too crazy for you here's a alternative/compatible structure:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=38

No video, alas, but it's compatible with any video, and can help you build a long term habit that isn't tied to any particular video or product (which you're sure to get tired of eventually, no matter how good).

Reinhard

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 pm

I have heard that Jillian Michael's 30-day shred it one of the best videos and it is only $9 at Walmart. I am also a fan of the WATP and any Turbo Jam video (not sold in stores unfortunately).

If you have a Wii... then Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing is the best. It's fun and you work up a great sweat and it's easy on the legs, it's mostly upper body work.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

July2010

Post by July2010 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Once I feel a bit stronger in my exercise habits, I might just try the shovelglove. I know I'd feel silly, but if it works that would be great!

Yeah my son broke my Walk away the pounds vhs yesterday! Good thing I had already ordered another one and just waiting on it to come in now. This one has that stretchie thing to help exercise.

I gotta say though I walked 4 miles on it yesterday and broke a sweat, but I then did taebo and worked up a sweat much sooner and in less time. I'm gonna alternate them I think so I don't get bored.
AutismMom

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I really like the Slim in Six series. I have also ordered some of the ancillary DVDs by Debbie Siebers (the Slim in Six instructor). She has a really great one that is only thirty minutes. It's called Cardio Sculpt Express. You can go on Amazon and get it pretty darn cheap!

July2010

Post by July2010 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks Kass, I'm going to check it out now! I find getting a variety of videos helps keep me from getting bored. Just went buy me an exercise/yoga mat because some of the videos you have to lay down and my floor isn't comfortable. Cost me $20 for a good thick mat, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Now I don't have to skip over that part of the tapes.
AutismMom

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:50 am

It's definitely important to have a variety of exercise video instructors. For one thing, it should help keep your body from plateauing (as long as you do a variety of exercise workouts -- such as walking, tae bo, etc...) and for another thing, it really helps to keep the boredom away. I mainly stick with 3 instructors: Leslie Sansone, Tracey Mallett, and Margaret Richard, but I have a variety of other dvds I can do when I get bored with my 'top 3.' I'll sometimes strap on my heartrate monitor (a very good investment, by the way), ride my recumbent bike, and just watch TV. It helps the bike riding to be much more entertaining, and the heart rate monitor helps me pedal fast enough to get a decent workout.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Yeah I want to get me aheart rate monitor too! That way I can know I'm burning fat. Gonna check amazon.com and see if they have any.
AutismMom

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Walked 3 miles yay! I am trying to go 5 hours between meals. (read a book on leptin (mastering Leptin) and thats what it recommends) Thanks to no s I was use to going 4. I notice if I exercise right after breakfast, I can't wait for lunch to get here and it's painful. I guess because of all the calories burned. But, today I exercised 1 hr before lunch to help pass the time but also so that I could eat right after and exercise and so I won't feel like I'm starving.
AutismMom

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 am

Good for you! Keep it up! :D