Poll: What is/was your weakness- snacks, sweets, or seconds?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

What is or was your weakness- snacks, sweets, or seconds?

Snacks
23%
Sweets
33%
Seconds
25%
More than one of the above
20%

Total votes: 40

Nicest of the Damned

Poll: What is/was your weakness- snacks, sweets, or seconds?

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I didn't eat a lot of sweets even before I started No S. I sometimes ate snacks, but not that often. My weakness was seconds. I always ate too much, particularly at dinner time.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Snacking *on* sweets, for me. Seconds was never my problem, my extra calories all came between meals.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Yeah, it's hard to tease these apart... many snacks and "seconds" involve sweets.

I guess it's a little early to make sweeping conclusions, but I'm a little surprised that snacks is in last place. Although I guess in a way that makes sense. Statistically snacking is the biggest culprit, in terms of additional calories we've been consuming since the start of the obesity epidemic, but it's also the sneakiest. Sweets and seconds are a lot more obvious than snacks, if you aren't paying careful attention.

But I shouldn't talk -- I put down "seconds." I'm not 100% sure that actually was my biggest problem, but it seemed like it. Back in my unreformed days I was the type of person who could go for a long time without eating, but once I started, I could keep going forever. Still, if someone had been monitoring every morsel that went into my mouth, I wouldn't be surprised if it was automatic, unthinking snacking that actually came out on top.

Thanks for starting this poll, Nicest. I'm curious what the results will look like once more people have answered.

Reinhard

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I make some pretty good homemade sweets (if I do say so myself), which I find hard to resist. :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:48 pm

reinhard wrote:I guess it's a little early to make sweeping conclusions, but I'm a little surprised that snacks is in last place.
I'd bet that all, or nearly all, of those "more than one" votes include snacks as one of the more-than-ones.

Let's see, if we wanted to cover every permutation, how many poll options would we need ...

- Snacks
- Sweets
- Seconds
- (Snacks and Sweets)
- (Snacks and Seconds)
- (Sweets and Seconds)
- All three

7 in total ... Maybe a revised poll with all of the options explicitly included?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:29 am

reinhard wrote:Yeah, it's hard to tease these apart... many snacks and "seconds" involve sweets.
Reinhard
Yeah, I have to agree there! I think I put seconds because that is the problem with weight gain, in that I don't think occasional snacks and sweets were giving me much of a problem...
BUT what I mean by seconds does include seconds of sweets, like I would never consider having only 1 piece of cake unless someone else was offering me only that, so seconds OF sweets is part of my ongoing problem..
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 am

Sweets, definitely!
I just started No S and after a meal I feel the need for something sweet..
But now I know it's just a stupid habit - because my roommates always serve a little desert after meal and I got used to it very quickly - but that urge won't last forever I guess.
Last edited by bjalda on Tue May 03, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

mine has always been over eating at meals, so i put "seconds"
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm

I've never had a huge problem with seconds (I tend to get full relatively quickly) but my sweet tooth is a big problem! I'd have something for dessert, then maybe a chocolate bar later on, then maybe something else a bit later....

Mind you they also count as snacks so maybe 'sweet snacks' would be more accurate :)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't have that much of a sweet tooth -- my problem was SNACKS, all the way. Eating food that was floating around the office, hitting the vending machine, nibblings something while cooking, and especially eating in the evenings. And diets just made it worse -- I would rush through or skimp on dinner to be sure to have enough Weight Watchers points left to eat at night.

My weekday lunches were too large when I didn't bring my own, but 90% of the issue for me was eating between meals.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm

My first instinct was to say seconds because overeating at supper was my biggest issue. I could keep myself in line all day, but when I was home for the evening, the eating started and did not end. I suppose you could call this endless snacking rather than seconds. Sometimes the eating included sweets, but sweets were definitely not the primary issue.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Now that I am following the No S Diet, I would say what I miss most are the snacks (because I get hungry, heaven forbid). But I voted for "more than one" because a lot of the time my snacks were sweets.

Andie

Post by Andie » Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Snacks have always been my biggest problem, It's was habit of mine to permasnack all day if I'm home by myself, or if there is food out in the open at work. I used to alternate betweek sweets and salty (i.e.: a handflull of chocolate chips, then a handfull of crackers with cheese, etc.)
I have never really been big on seconds, probably because I was always already full from the snacks and sweets!
Back after a long hiatus.