Drinking water before meals can help you lose weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Drinking water before meals can help you lose weight

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:00 pm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 080910.php

This study found that drinking 2 cups of water before eating a meal helped people lose weight.

I've been trying to drink more water, because I know it's generally healthy and might help with being hungry between lunch and dinner. Now I know there's another reason to drink more water.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:03 pm

I saw that on the news the other day, too. It makes sense, but I think if I drank two glasses of water before a meal, I wouldn't have room for the meal!

I've also read that having a broth-based soup or salad at the beginning of a meal accomplishes the same thing. People consume significantly fewer calories at a meal if one of these things is eaten at the beginning of the meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:22 pm

It's two cups of water, not two glasses. I measured that out in our glasses, and two cups of water is a very full glass (your glasses may vary).

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes, it does help ... you feel full more quickly. I always have a tall glass of water about 15 minutes before dinner. I eat and then I lay down for a QUICK after dinner NAP while watching TV. ;-)

Sometimes I also have another glass of water right after dinner if I still feel hungry for some reason.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 193 Pounds

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:29 am

Great strategy :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness