Belly Dancing?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

doulachic

Belly Dancing?

Post by doulachic » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:22 pm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone here has ever done bellydancing for exercise? I am thinking of taking it up for a fun way to exercise...i'll get a few dvd's since we don't have anyone giving classes around here...Thought it would be a great way to tone the abs, hips, rear end, etc...

plus if i get good maybe i'll give hubby a show... :twisted:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

JessicaSarahS

Post by JessicaSarahS » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:39 pm

We had a small seminar on it and it was fun, but I didn't keep it up after a while. BUT, I do like hula-hooping! :-D And it does give a good midwaist workout if you do it for a good time. and it's cheap :) :D

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Well I always wanted to learn to bellydance. I have some DVDs of bellydance at home, but I wanted to take some lessons somewhere first to mkae sure I was getting the moves right.
Hula-hooping sounds like fun too- Jessica, I know there are supposed to be classes for it, is this what you are doing, or just hula hooping as the mood strikes?
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:16 pm

They also have hula dance workouts...maybe that would be good. :lol:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 am

Yeah!! My bellydancing dvds are here!! can't wait to try them out... :twisted:
***GRINS***
Tricia

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:45 am

Let us know how you like the DVD's. I have been dying to try out bellydancing. What dvd do you have?

Thanks!!

JWL

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:32 am

There's just something soooooo right about bellydancing women.... I've even seen a few men do it well. :wink:
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:13 am

I have a four disc set called Bellydancing Fitness for Weight Loss, by Rania. it has a lot of workouts evidently...i got it from amazon and only paid about 25 bucks and that was with shipping...i think it is more of a workout routine, but if i get the moves down good, maybe i will order more of a dance instructional dvd...could be fun...break out the bells and veils! :lol:

hey Freakwitch, maybe you should check into it..? :wink:
***GRINS***
Tricia

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks Tricia, I will look into it! Hope you have fun with the workout :D

That guy

Post by That guy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Tricia

My sister-in-law has been dancing for years, even performs with a troop at the local renfaires and such. If you PM me your location, I'll see if she knows of a good instructor in your area.
Starting over 07/31/06 @ 262
Current: 262, Goal 160

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 pm

Hey Trish..
I tried a bellydancing class one time at the gym where I used to work..
Boy!!! What a spazz I am!!! LOL....
The teacher was kind of fast with doing the moves... Maybe if I had several weeks of practice I could have kept up...
I'm sure the DVDs are much better instruction... Hopefully the music will inspire you too! I love middle eastern music...
My sax friend, and Richard's teacher, Premik, often plays Indian raagas in his concerts... There's something very sexy and exotic about that music!
Good luck and mostly have loads of fun!!!
Love,
8) Deb

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:33 pm

I bellydanced with lessons for a while, find a place that does periodic sessions so you can start out at the beginning.

The teacher will correct you when you're little weird, and you can ask questions.

Other than that, shimmy for 10 minutes every day and I bet you'll feel the burn!
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

ceu

Post by ceu » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:36 am

I did one fitness tape session of bellydancing (think it was a superbeginner tape with Rania) and I was exhausted. It only *looks* effortless. :shock:

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:47 am

the ones i have are with Rania...unfortunately i have STILL not had a chance to try them out! :shock: someday.... :roll:
***GRINS***
Tricia