Is there any reason I shouldn't skip breakfast?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BelfastBloke

Is there any reason I shouldn't skip breakfast?

Post by BelfastBloke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:19 am

I have followed the No-S diet for over a year, and basically stayed within a few pounds of my target weight for all that time.

I find it really easy to skip breakfast, and just have coffee, and then 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner). Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Surely my approach is reducing the day's calorie intake? Why is breakfast called the most important meal of the day?

Katie

Post by Katie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 am

Last year I had quite a bit of success and thought I would cut back to 2 meals plus coffee since I didn't feel as hungry. It worked for maybe 2 months at most, but then wild binges came on S-days. If you have a history of binging, I would be careful with this mod. If not, I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted! :)
Expecting first baby 02/02/2012
Allowing 2 snacks a day

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:31 am

The rationale behind breakfast being the most important meal of the day is that it gives you energy and nutrients to start the day and people who don't eat breakfast tend to eat more later in the day -- and consume more calories than if they had eaten breakfast.

That being said, there are a lot of cultures who don't routinely eat a "good breakfast" and there are a few of us here who don't eat breakfast. If it works for you and you're not overeating later, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm generally not a breakfast eater, though I do eat it occasionally.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm

If it works for you, do it! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I tend to feel shakey within a few hours of waking if I don't eat something, but my husband can't stomach any food until lunchtime. We're both at a healthy, normal weight.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I don't eat breakfast. I actually feel yucky when I do. God made our bodies to register hunger when we need food and I try to wait until I feel hungry. I usually eat a brunch. An earlier lunch around 11:00 does the trick for me. When I start to eat early in the day I end up eating way way more all day long. It's like I opened the gate. :roll: "They" say that breakfast is important, but "they" also say to eat 6 meals a day for goodness sake. Experiment and do what works for you. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Swarah

Post by Swarah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 pm

If I eat breakfast I feel hungry again before lunch. If I don't eat breakfast my natural hunger usually lets me know I'm hungry around lunchtime. On the times I do eat breakfast I usually have to force it down so I just don't bother with it the vast majority of time.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:25 pm

All those articles with titles like "Eating a Big Breakfast Will Help You Lose Weight" tend to leave out the second part of that statement, which is: "... but only if allows you to eat less, later in the day". That's why it's considered important: some studies have found a correlation between skipping breakfast and overcompensating by eating too many snacks (or other food) later in the day. But if skipping breakfast doesn't cause you to do that, and it sounds like it doesn't, then no worries.

harpista

Post by harpista » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:58 pm

wosnes wrote:That being said, there are a lot of cultures who don't routinely eat a "good breakfast" and there are a few of us here who don't eat breakfast.
Hi wosnes!

I'm interested in this statement, can you tell me which cultures don't eat any/much breakfast?

I know that stereotypically the French don't eat much, other than toast or something like that. I'm just curious! :lol:
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 am

I just checked an interesting new release coffee table-style book out of the library called "What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets." It looks at 80 individuals, from around the world, in varying economic positions and looks at what they ate on a given day, including any snacks, and giving a calorie total.

The vast majority of people in the vast majority of countries ate something for breakfast, even if it was a bowl of cereal or porridge or a piece of bread.

Individuals from Kenya, India, China, USA, Canada, Japan, Nambia and Russia were among those who didn't eat any breakfast/just had 2 meals a day or just had coffee, tea or water for one meal. In some cases, the individuals were impoverished. In other cases, the non breakfast eaters were in fine economic condition and even obese (the person from Japan who didn't eat breakfast was a Sumo wrestler and a couple folks from the USA who skipped breakfast ate a lot of fast food.) Of course, in most cases, for every non-breakfast eater representing a given country there was another person from the same country who ate breakfast. :wink:

Anyway, I think if not eating breakfast works for you -- if you aren't overly hungry or feeling "off" -- there's no reason to eat it. (Personally, I need a little something in the morning but not much. A 1/2 bagel with cream cheese and a cup of coffee, my default on N Days, is enough for me.)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:35 am

harpista wrote:
wosnes wrote:That being said, there are a lot of cultures who don't routinely eat a "good breakfast" and there are a few of us here who don't eat breakfast.
Hi wosnes!

I'm interested in this statement, can you tell me which cultures don't eat any/much breakfast?

I know that stereotypically the French don't eat much, other than toast or something like that. I'm just curious! :lol:
Breakfast isn't extremely important in many areas around the Mediterranean. In Italy it's the least important meal of the day. I think there are areas in Central and South America where it's not very important. In most cases people eat something, but it's very light -- just something to "break the fast."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't eat breakfast, don't eat anything until the middle of the day, other than cofee/tea or hot water with lemon.

I tried eating breakfast last year when I first did NO S but have found that I do better without it.

I work for a lawfirm and seem to have the energy to manage my duties
sorta 8)

Just kiddin', never been a breakfast eater unless we are meeting someone for brunch or something.

I do love breakfast food, however, and often make it for dinner.
Berry

Ms

Post by Ms » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:39 am

No reason that I can think of. My newest motto is: "Do what makes you feel good." If your body doesn't feel bad after skipping breakfast, then why not? Moreover, you wouldn't be breaking the No-S rules as Reinhard doesn't tell us how many meals to eat, and even if he did, it's YOUR body. You must live with it and cannot live without it. If you feel good after skipping breakfast, go ahead.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:46 pm

When I was hiking in Nepal 30 years ago, I saw that the Nepalese didn't eat anything before about 10 a.m, despite that their day started early and involved pretty heavy labor. They did have hot tea or even just hot water right when they got up, though. However, they weren't especially lithe people, either. They were stocky and you often saw them, men and women, on the trail carrying 2-3 times as much weight as we back packers were, all suspended on a strap balanced on their heads with the load resting on their backs. And typically passing us up.

I go by my hunger for breakfast, although I think there may be a correlation for me with coffee breakfasts (half milk) and later wild bingeing, but not on the same day. I may start keeping track just to see if there is a relationship.

For your purposes, I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:45 pm

I'd be careful. There are few things that are more strongly associated with being overweight than skipping breakfast.

If you want to tweak something to get better results, I wouldn't start here. Adding an "intelligent dietary default" or two might be all you need. Maybe you want to make it a breakfast default, that by default, you'll just have fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast or something. Personally, I like my breakfasts on the hearty side, but there's a wide range between a farmers omelette with sausages and hash browns and nothing.

Reinhard

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 am

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, milk, toast, juice and Trix, for a healhty diet. :lol:
Last edited by Over43 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 am

Is "breakfats" a typo?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 pm

oolala53 wrote:Is "breakfats" a typo?
Ha! Good one!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:04 am

It was a typo, thank you for pointing that out. Kids remember, taking an Ambien, and getting on a forum is never a good idea. Don't try this at home.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am

Ambien + cyber forum = the new drunk dialing... :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23