Wow, this diet has help me realize...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

Wow, this diet has help me realize...

Post by jellybeans01 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 am

what an emotional eater I am. Shame on Me! I never thought I was one of those people. Today was an off day, I was angry about a situation, stressed with my three little ones and I really just cought myself wanting to snack it all away. A confession, I have had lots of extra bites today, but I stopped myself and will consider this still a successful day because normally under these circumstances I would have made it an eat eat and just go ahead eat day.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Well done for noticing, and catching yourself.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

janie47

Post by janie47 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 am

I think you did great when you decided that you were going to stop taking all those bites! I have trouble with stopping if I even eat a bite of something I shouldn't! I am also an emotional eater!!

I know little ones can be difficult! Hang in there!!

Janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:Well done for noticing, and catching yourself.
Agreed. Congratulations on this very powerful realization.

harpista

Re: Wow, this diet has help me realize...

Post by harpista » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:06 am

jellybeans01 wrote:Shame on Me! I never thought I was one of those people.
This is just how I see things:

Only be ashamed if you lie to yourself about it. If it's a failure, mark it and move on... be proud to be honest, and try to gently determine where you went astray.

IME, being kind to yourself (including how you talk to/about you), will actually reduce your propensity to do the emotional eating schtick. I can beat myself up, emotionally, better than anyone else, and that just makes my problem feel worse (and more hopeless, and more like a half a bag of nacho chips). But somewhere I came across the idea that I should not speak to myself in any way that I would not speak to a friend, a child or someone who is elderly. I wouldn't hold myself up as any kind of example... but it's an idea which is helping me.

I also think maybe you are upset because you have a, dare I say this?, prejudice against "those people." I really don't want to anger you by saying that, only suggest that you might want to consider it as a possible problem, in that it makes it more difficult for you to view yourself and others with compassion.

I hate writing these comments; I am hardly qualified to pontificate. But if you were my friend, I'd say you needed a hug, not a scolding, and I wanted to suggest that, so to speak, you hug yourself instead of scolding yourself. In any case, at least please accept my good wishes :)
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!