Three Squares Best for Weight Loss

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TunaFishKid

Three Squares Best for Weight Loss

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 pm

~ Laura ~

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Good to have what we already knew confirmed :D
Though, I have to say, when I first saw your topic title I thought "three squares of dark chocolate?" Good thing tomorrow's the weekend!
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:34 pm

The article mentioned a low-calorie, high protein diet. One thing I've found is that fat is essential for satisfaction. I'm not saying go crazy with it, but some at each meal seems to aid in satisfaction and keeps the need for eating between meals at a minimum.

One thing I've noticed is that people who are following low-fat, high-fiber diets seem to need to eat more frequently. The less fat they consume, the more frequently they need to eat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Aleria wrote:when I first saw your topic title I thought "three squares of dark chocolate?"
I thought, "Three squares of HabitCal? Diet, exercise and what?".
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:50 am

wosnes wrote:The article mentioned a low-calorie, high protein diet. One thing I've found is that fat is essential for satisfaction. I'm not saying go crazy with it, but some at each meal seems to aid in satisfaction and keeps the need for eating between meals at a minimum.

One thing I've noticed is that people who are following low-fat, high-fiber diets seem to need to eat more frequently. The less fat they consume, the more frequently they need to eat.
I've found this to be true. Back in high school when I decided to start eating better, I followed a vegan diet that was probably 75 percent veggies and fruit (I ate plain sweet potatoes and pineapple for breakfast--I thought I was being virtuous but it was actually kind of stupid), the rest whole grains and some various plant protein. Super low fat, tons of fiber. I lost some weight (but considering the fact that previously I lived on huge portions of junk food and never exercised, that's not a surprise), but I was hungry--and eating--all the time. I remember packing snacks to sneak in class throughout the day--two before lunch alone--because I was constantly starving.

I still eat a whole foods vegetarian diet, so the fiber's still there, and something I find helps me fill up. But I eat a lot of fat now, too, in the form of avocados, nuts and nut butter, olive oil, and some dairy and eggs, and those are the things that help me stay satisfied til the next meal.

sharkchick

Post by sharkchick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:17 am

wosnes wrote:The article mentioned a low-calorie, high protein diet. One thing I've found is that fat is essential for satisfaction. I'm not saying go crazy with it, but some at each meal seems to aid in satisfaction and keeps the need for eating between meals at a minimum.

For me, this is definitely true. Low-fat diets=me hanging on by my dieting fingernails. I just can't sustain it for very long and then I end up binge eating and gaining weight.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 pm

It was the men on the high protein diet who ate three meals a day that felt fuller in the evening and late at night, plus they were less preoccupied with thoughts of food
Physically, the main reason eating just three meals a day helps people lose weight is because it's easier to keep track of eating fewer calories. But psychologically, this sentence from the article is also really important. If I'm trying to lose weight, the last thing I want to do is be thinking about food all day long--when my next snack will be, what the snack will be, etc., which inevitably turns into me trying to justify turning a healthy snack into an unhealthy one. As a snacker, I used to play games with myself: Okay, I can have this cookie as a snack instead of my baby carrots and hummus, then I'll just have a salad for dinner and run an extra mile tomorrow. That never worked, and the whole process took up a lot of mental energy.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm

marygrace wrote:
It was the men on the high protein diet who ate three meals a day that felt fuller in the evening and late at night, plus they were less preoccupied with thoughts of food
Physically, the main reason eating just three meals a day helps people lose weight is because it's easier to keep track of eating fewer calories.
This came up on The Today Show this week, too (I linked to it in another post). The thought there was that physically, most of us don't need more calories that we consume in three meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am

wosnes wrote:
marygrace wrote:
Physically, the main reason eating just three meals a day helps people lose weight is because it's easier to keep track of eating fewer calories.
This came up on The Today Show this week, too (I linked to it in another post). The thought there was that physically, most of us don't need more calories that we consume in three meals.
Yes! I saw that too. I was happy to hear a so-called food expert actually say that.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 am

Ooh I didn't know about the needing fat thing. I never thought about that, but now I realize that is probably a huge reason other diets never worked for me.

The article is so true. Before I started No S and I wasn't eating right, I was always hungry. When I would snack, it would just make me want more food. One string cheese wasn't enough.

But since No S, my appetite has died. Not in a bad way. I still get hungry, but just when I know it's meal time, and I'm starting to get really full off one plate. On an S day or two I have tried eating my old portions, and haven't been able to. After just 2 months I think about food less then I did when I wasn't even dieting... I find myself not even wanting to snack anymore. No S is seriously some kind of miracle! The advice for people to snack is insane. We didn't snack in the old days and people in other countries don't. So it just makes sense.
August/starting - 280
September- ?