Silly Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

planner lady

Silly Question

Post by planner lady » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:11 pm

I have a silly question that I hope you can help me with. I have not been following NOS, per se, but am working up to it. I recently started working part-time, three days a week, and that has really helped with my afternoon snacking. In all honesty, I don't have time to eat and it isn't easy to do with my job. I handle a lot of paper and you can't eat and handle paper without getting the paper dirty and that's a big no-no. Anyway, since I started working, I'm not having a snack in the afternoon but I am having a regular soda. Then I have dinner (later than we used to) followed by a small evening snack (that I really don't need anymore -- it's just a habit). My problem is this: I'm not eating an afternoon snack anymore and don't even miss it but knowing I can't have it makes me a little nuts. Same with the evening snack. That's one reason I always liked Weight Watchers -- I could have anything as long as I didn't go over my points. But as I've mentioned here before, I'm tired of counting points. So did anyone else deal with that mentality of "Since I can't have it, I want it" and if so, how did you deal with that.

Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:53 pm

I'd say that you should immediately ditch that afternoon soda...
There's no health in it, and it's fattening and you are way better off having a fruit or yogurt...
It's filling you up with empty calories and perpetuating your sugar dependency... Can't you just wash your hands after an afternoon pick me up fruit?

Your question is really a bit confusing to me...
I can't relate so sorry if I didn't really address it.. If I didn't miss having a snack, anyway, as you say you don't, how can you say you are upset by not being allowed one?

Well...

Good luck anyway..
LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Shameless Hussey

Re: Silly Question

Post by Shameless Hussey » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:16 pm

planner lady wrote: So did anyone else deal with that mentality of "Since I can't have it, I want it" and if so, how did you deal with that.
Patty, I totally get your question; I was there too!
I deal with it by telling myself (several times a day) "If I want it, I can have it on an "S" day."

I was very very strict the first 21 days on program, and I think that helps too.

I also wear a rubber band on my left wrist Monday through Friday. When I'm tempted (usually at work) I snap the rubber band and "shout" inside my head "NO Snacks!" The inside area of one's wrist can really smart, if one is vigorous in snapping!

And I make sure I enjoy whatever I chose to eat on my "S" days!

Good luck to you!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:11 pm

I also wear a rubber band on my left wrist Monday through Friday. When I'm tempted (usually at work) I snap the rubber band and "shout" inside my head "NO Snacks!" The inside area of one's wrist can really smart, if one is vigorous in snapping!
Shameless,
That is too too funny!!!!
I was really laughing after reading your self discipline method!!!

Good for you!!! :lol:
Hope you don't develop scars!
LOL..

Love,
8) Deb

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:54 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: Good for you!!! :lol:
Hope you don't develop scars!
No Scars. :lol: I'm nowhere near breaking the skin with a rubber band!

The snaping technique is adapted from hints for people trying to overcome a smoking addiction. Thankfully, I managed to avoid that particular vice.

Beth

Re: Silly Question

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Shameless Hussey wrote:
planner lady wrote: So did anyone else deal with that mentality of "Since I can't have it, I want it" and if so, how did you deal with that.
Patty, I totally get your question; I was there too!
I deal with it by telling myself (several times a day) "If I want it, I can have it on an "S" day."

I was very very strict the first 21 days on program, and I think that helps too.

And I make sure I enjoy whatever I chose to eat on my "S" days!

Good luck to you!
SH! That is too funny! So how do folks around you react when you do that (or do they even notice?).
And Patty, I TOTALLY understand what you are trying to say, wish I had advice at this point but I just do not. I have not run up against this yet with no-s but this is officially my first N day.
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

want2bhealthy

very new

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 pm

i am very new, i just found this today and started right away. so i will just jump right in here. i know we are not supposed to over analyze this as i have done on so many plans in the past, but on s days do you still have to stick to the 3 meals a day but just be able to have sweets at those meals? or are you just able to eat how you want and include snacks and sweets. like i said i did read alot on the no s diet home page but this i must have skipped. any and all advice is greatly appreciated for a person who has been diet hopping for the past 10 yrs. this sounds like heaven. i do hope this will be "it" for me.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi there and welcome!
S days are rule free...
Just use some common sense and don't eat an entire side of beef and twenty donuts in one sitting and you should be fine...
For me.. S days are the days where I allow myself to just snack whenever.. Usually, since seconds were always my problem before I try to keep from overeating, but I don't think too much about it..
Reserve your willpower and brainpower for N days and you will totally enjoy your weekends guilt free!
You don't gain weight from S days you gain them from N days off.. LOL..
You are right! This is heaven!!! It's fun and works... You never feel resentful of the structure and it's very empowering as a tool for success..

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:08 pm

I came to No-S from the McDougall Program (vegan, fat-free). We could eat anything any time, as long as it was program-friendly foods. The Snack Monster and I were on a first-name basis! Not snacking was really tough for me.

My solution is not very exciting. I just kept repeating my no-s mantram to myself whenever I was tempted: no sweets, no snacks, no seconds. It also helps to remember that a couple of S-Days are just around the corner. Time flies by so quickly!

That's it. No too exciting, but it worked, and continues to work in my weaker moments.

Be firm in the beginning, and know that it gets easier as you go along.

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:38 pm

thanks so much for the responses. i dont think i will have a problem with the snacking. i am not really a big sweet eater either. so i think with the s days, i will probably have a sweet treat here or there with my daughter. maybe a fatfree pudding or maybe get frozen yogurt. hey that reminds me, if i wanted on a no s day i guess i could have a sugarfree pudding at a meal huh? i am doing great so far. and knowing that if i wanted i could have some chips or a snack as my meal, then i wont feel deprived of them altogether or i guess i can even have them on s days. i think i could really m ake this work.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:42 pm

oh yea, me and this woman i met on the internet have been diet buddies for a while now and she wants me and i guess i want to know too, if i could get some success stories and weight loss amounts on this way of eating. well i guess rein, i forget the name of the person who started this website is a success story. i did read it on the homepage.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:02 pm

Feel free to browse my thread as thanks to my compadre here, CJ, I have before and during photos up today... They are on todays page...
In short.. I lost roughly 20-30 lbs in a year and a half... I'm down 5 inches from my waist, and have never gained back weight while here..
I'm 208 now, but at least 15 lbs is muscle mass I have built up over the past year... I'm a little slow at losing weight, but I don't care... I want to keep it off for my whole life, not one or two years and then gain it back....

Have a great night...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
ps.. Your buddy should join us too!

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:03 pm

There are a few threads answering similar questions - for me, I'm 25 and have been doing No-S since late June 2005, with no particular exercise, and I've lost about 13 or 14 kilos (26/28 pounds?). That's from 111kg down to about 97kg at the moment, and down from a large-size-20 to a large-size-16/regular-size-18.

Also, I saw the photos from our firm's Christmas party, and for the first time thought "hey, I don't look too bad" :)
Definite red letter day.

Kathleen.

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:30 am

thanks for posting your successes, i am impressed, cause my days of wanting to do a diet that will garuantee me 11 lbs in 9 days or something outrageous like that are over. i would rather not feel deprived and eat this way and lose the weight slower. i have only did this for one day and i feel great and proud of myself for not going back for seconds,thirds ,fourths etc, you get the picture. i am so happy, that this might really finally be it for me. i just feel free from counting anything. just some simple rules to follow , there is really no reason to cheat. i dont think i have ever felt this confident that i can finally stick to something and have hope that i will lose weight and gain control of the obsession of food.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 am

oh yea, i think once i can tell my buddy how much success i make on this and how i am not starving, frustrated or feeling deprived, then she may come around.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi plannerlady,

What you're experiencing is the old habit of snacking. That is precisely the variable we are trying to change with No-S. Keep that in mind.

While you are adapting to the rules of No-S, my advice is to keep one additional rule in mind, if you aren't ready to follow the No-S rules to the letter: if you aren't hungry, DON'T EAT!!!

We are teaching our bodies two things: first, new habits of eating, and second, to exist on less food. Every decision you make should be with these 2 parameters in mind.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

want2bhealthy

3rd day

Post by want2bhealthy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 pm

i am going on my 3rd day and i am sticking to it, i already notice my eating habits changing. snacking and grabbing for sweets was just a habit. like if someone else was eating it would want it, i just wanted it i didnt really need it. i found myself reaching for things to eat while i was cooking my dinner , i found myslef looking in cabints and the refridgerater after i had eaten my dinner but never ate anything. wow, they were just things i automatically did. i am excercising and i think i can really change this time. i really have to learn to be patient with this process, i cant lose this weight over night. have a great day all.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207