Let's talk about some of the other diets you've tried

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Let's talk about some of the other diets you've tried

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Let's talk about our experiences with other diets we've tried. What diet was it, how well did it work (or not), what did and didn't you like about it.

Eat This, Not That

This one didn't work so well for me because I already do most of my cooking at home (especially now that I'm unemployed). When I do eat out, it's generally not at a chain restaurant. Their book seems more designed for someone who eats at chain restaurants and buys processed foods. Also, I keep kosher (but will eat kosher fish or vegetarian food at non-kosher restaurants) and am a bit of a picky eater, so my choices at restaurants are already quite constrained by that.

I liked that there was no food journaling or calorie counting required, and that it wasn't a low-carb diet (I get really irritable on low-carb diets). I didn't like that it didn't have much guidance for someone who cooks from scratch.

Mediterranean diet or Asian diet

I have been pretty much eating this way for the past 10 years, though not following any formal diet plan. I'm still fat :( I learned from No S that just eating generally healthy foods isn't enough- you have to watch portions, too. No S gives me a relatively painless way to do that, without all the measuring and calorie counting that I hate.

Slim-Fast

I tried this about six years ago, and lost weight on it. Trouble was that I got sick of the shakes (and of the monotony of always having the same thing for breakfast and lunch) and gained it back.

mailgirl

Post by mailgirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Weight Watchers:

I have done this a number of times. Sometimes I have lost a good amount of weight (for me) and sometimes I have given up. There are some good things about it and bad. You are accountable for what you eat but you can get obsessed with the points. It costs money and if you do not like the people in the group it is a drag.

good enough

Post by good enough » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Weight Watchers

One of many I have tried but I just lost 15 pounds on this. Did it online so didn't go to meetings. Like most diets it DOES work if you stick to it, but very hard to do that in the long term. Left me totally points-obsessed. Certainly no reasonable maintenance plan, only an increased points allowance which assumes you'll be counting those points till you kick the bucket. Hence why I am now here 8)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:21 am

Slim-Fast made me want to eat the sheet rock off the walls.

Atkins left me bound and with a stomcah ache.

I have read about the Okinawan Diet, but I can't afford that.

Edit: I forgot, last summer I tried the Abs Diet, and have the book, as well as the cookbook. A lot of extra eating. Although the workouts weren't bad.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:28 pm

I feel like I have tried them all....

Weight Watchers...I started W.W. when I was 11 and I think I rejoined like 4 times. Each time I lost weight and each time I gained it all back. Of course, throw in a few pregnancies and there you are.

Jenny Craig: SUPER EXPENSIVE and it works, however, you are not eating your own food and I lost quite a bit but gained it all back. (Moved and quit smoking)

ATKINS: Hate this diet...Lost a little but never long term

SLIMFAST: Can't handle this diet for more than 2 weeks.

There is certainly a theme with me and that is; No matter what diet I do, I always gain it back. This has to be a lifetime thing and something that is sane. Thats why I LOVE NO S.
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:29 pm

stubby1234 wrote:
Jenny Craig: SUPER EXPENSIVE and it works, however, you are not eating your own food and I lost quite a bit but gained it all back. (Moved and quit smoking)
Jenny Craig works (well, in the sense that it helps people lose weight---in the larger picture I don't think it really works at all) because it's all about portion control. They boast that you can eat lasagna, burgers, etc., but it has to be their lasagna or burgers because the portions are small (or really, the portions are what people should be eating). In that sense, it's kind of like NoS--but of course, NoS is a million times better because it puts the individual in charge of controlling their portions rather than forcing him or her to rely on pre-packaged products.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:54 pm

My husband and I like food, and we like cooking. I've never been tempted to try one of those diets where you only eat packaged foods, for this reason. Also, I keep kosher, and AFAIK there isn't one of those diets that supplies kosher food. (If there were... packaged kosher diet food... shudder)

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Gah!! Okay, here it goes:

Weight Watchers-I followed this for about 8 years. Managed to lose and REGAIN 30-40lbs on four totally separate occasions. The meetings got redundant. I got tired of tracking. Tracking totally ruined my concept of food, and enjoyment of it. Made me obsess over everything I ate. Nutty people on their message boards. Sorta felt like a cult.

Southbeach-Great diet for initial weight loss, when I could survive those first two weeks. Taught me how to binge on low fat cheese and lean ground beef.

Atkins- In HS, I lost 10lbs in one week on this, and managed to keep it off for a year...though I wasn't anywhere near my goal. Made me feel sick. Learned to love bacon.

Hollywood Diet- Drank some weird fruit juice for 48 hours and nothing else. I was starving and tired. Least recommended

The Five Day Diet-First day liquids only, second day, add in vegetables... I think I lost 5 pounds that week, but didn't teach me how to maintain.

The Martini Diet- I really loved (and still love) the concept of this. Eat the very best, but eat somewhat less of the very best. More specifically, every portion of your meal should be able to fit into a martini glass...and no snacking. My only problem with this were there were too many loopholes...and they allowed dessert all week.

Calorie Counting-I was an accountant. I hated excusing myself to the restroom when I'd be out in a restaurant just so I could pull out my calorie counting booklet and write down what I was eating!

So there you have it. I'm sure I've done more, but I can't think of them right now.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 pm

leVictoria wrote:Gah!! Okay, here it goes:

The Martini Diet- I really loved (and still love) the concept of this. Eat the very best, but eat somewhat less of the very best. More specifically, every portion of your meal should be able to fit into a martini glass...and no snacking. My only problem with this were there were too many loopholes...and they allowed dessert all week.
Kinda sounds like NoS, since the basic principle is portion control. Albeit, you just use a simple plate =)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:29 pm

marygrace wrote:

Kinda sounds like NoS, since the basic principle is portion control. Albeit, you just use a simple plate =)
This brings up something I love about No S, or rather hate about some other diets. There's no public humiliation with No S. You don't have to do anything that a normal, non-dieting person wouldn't conceivably do. Normal, non-dieting people do sometimes decline snacks, seconds, and desserts. Normal, non-dieting people do not weigh or measure out their portions, or see if their portions will fit in a martini glass (unless it is something that is served in a martini glass). You don't have to do anything on No S that says "look at me, I'm on a diet". You don't have to order food in restaurants in ways that tell others that you're on a diet. If you're going to a restaurant with a group, you don't have to make sure you pick some place that is compatible with your diet, because all restaurants are compatible with No S.

This is extremely helpful for me. I have social anxiety. I'm scared of being the center of attention, and don't like doing anything to call attention to myself in public. I also tend to get upset about being judged or criticized, and people aren't always 100% supportive when you tell them you're on a diet. With No S, I can diet without those issues complicating things. I can keep the news that I'm on a diet on a need-to-know basis.

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote:
marygrace wrote:

This brings up something I love about No S, or rather hate about some other diets. There's no public humiliation with No S. You don't have to do anything that a normal, non-dieting person wouldn't conceivably do. Normal, non-dieting people do sometimes decline snacks, seconds, and desserts. Normal, non-dieting people do not weigh or measure out their portions, or see if their portions will fit in a martini glass (unless it is something that is served in a martini glass). You don't have to do anything on No S that says "look at me, I'm on a diet". You don't have to order food in restaurants in ways that tell others that you're on a diet. If you're going to a restaurant with a group, you don't have to make sure you pick some place that is compatible with your diet, because all restaurants are compatible with No S.

This is extremely helpful for me. I have social anxiety. I'm scared of being the center of attention, and don't like doing anything to call attention to myself in public. I also tend to get upset about being judged or criticized, and people aren't always 100% supportive when you tell them you're on a diet. With No S, I can diet without those issues complicating things. I can keep the news that I'm on a diet on a need-to-know basis.
I agree that this diet is great for being able to fit it in your life like a normal, healthy person. I haven't been doing this very long, but I have a feeling I won't feel as awkward in social situations on this diet than I was in the past.

As for the Martini diet. Yes, it is similar to the No S Diet. However, it has its problems. My biggest issue was, they wanted me to limit the sizes of my meals tremendously, AND not have any snacks. Additionally, I never understood how many "martinis" I could have at any given meal. I mean, if I was eating a sandwich, could each half go in two martinis, or could I only have 1/2 a sandwich in one and find something else like a salad or soup for the other half?

The No S Diet is much more straight forward. I'll start thinking about Martini glass sizing when I feel I need to. ;-)
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 am

I'd never heard of The Martini Diet before -- so I googled it. I found short excerpts at amazon and google books. I like her ideas, especially the admonition to eat real food. It reminds me a little of French Women Don't Get Fat.

Since starting No-S, I've come entirely to real food. No more reduced-fat, reduced-carb, reduced-calorie, reduced-pleasure foods. It isn't just the mental or emotional pleasure that comes from eating real foods. Our bodies weren't made to thrive on fake foods. Oh, they can adjust to it, but real food is what make our bodies function best. One of the most surprising things to me is that since I've been eating real foods, I'm eating less and satisfied with less food.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."