Artificial Food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Artificial Food

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

I just received a link to this article about artificial food. It's from the book Swindled: The Story of Artificial Food and appeared in The Times nearly 3 years ago.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for the link, wosnes. Image
I can't wait to read the book.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm

I thought it was interesting largely because I'm convinced that our weight and health problems are caused by artificial and processed foods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Really interesting article. It highlights how we've stopped eating 'food' and started eating chemicals in their place.
I grew up on a farm eating home-grown beef, chicken, vegetables, potatoes, homemade breads, jams, everything... Basically- 'real food.'
We rarely had sodas, and 'store-bought' food was the exception, not the rule. Besides, Mama's cooking tasted better. :)
When I left for college I ended up eating cafeteria food made with all sorts of processed foods, and of course the typical junk college kids eat. And my body started to reflect the junk I was putting into it.
My sisters and I were all skinny, healthy little tow-heads when we were younger, and even through our teenage years, none of us were ever above a healthy weight, and we didn't have tons of health problems, which I attribute to our diet of 'real food.'
Now after college, I am realizing how abnormal it is for us to eat as much processed food as we do, and I'm trying to get back to whole foods, and cooking my foods from scratch.

Beefsister

Post by Beefsister » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Fake food is what makes people fat. What people should be eating is things like long rise sour dough bread, REAL butter, and plenty of it, whole milk, and eggs from healthy, free range chicken, and grass fed meat.

It isn't the carbs, or the fat that makes you fat, it's eating all this sugar and industrial veggie oils and wonderbread!
Remember, you are special, just like everybody else.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 am

Interesting article, Wosnes. It reminds me of writing an article about the tobacco industry many years back. I was surprised at how rosy-cheeked-healthy the PR person was. Of course, he didn't smoke...

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:18 am

I'm slowly but surely shifting from eating a lot of processed foods to eating a lot more whole foods (such as butter, organic eggs, etc...). It's a lot more work, but it's worth it! I'm definitely noticing a difference in how I feel.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 pm

clarinetgal wrote:I'm slowly but surely shifting from eating a lot of processed foods to eating a lot more whole foods (such as butter, organic eggs, etc...). It's a lot more work, but it's worth it! I'm definitely noticing a difference in how I feel.
I don't think organics are unimportant, but I'm not sure that they're as important as those who promote them would have us believe. I think what is most important is make the switch to real food.

However, I do think changing to pasture-raised meats, dairy and eggs is important. The diet of factory farmed animals is different, which changes their nutrient profile -- and it's worse than if they're grass fed. I use some pasture raised meats, etc. It certainly accomplishes one thing -- you eat less because they're significantly more expensive.

One of the things that surprised me is that it really doesn't take much more time to make something from scratch as it does to rely on processed or ultra-processed foods.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:49 pm

I know what you mean, Wosnes. That's one of the things I've learned, is that just because something says it's organic, it doesn't mean it's the best food. Like you said, my priority for right now is to shift to the pasture-raised dairy and eggs. I haven't bought the free range meat yet, but I know I should (the price is what has held me back). Anyway, you're also right that it really doesn't take that much longer to prepare things from scratch, and they taste a whole lot better!

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 pm

A lot of small, local farmers that produce pasture-raised meat and dairy (as well as fruits and vegetables) actually use organic methods, but don't bother going through the expensive certification process. I think the organic method--no pesticides or chemicals, growing or producing food in with respect to nature and the environment--is important for people's health and the planet, but you don't need a USDA certified organic label for that. And nowadays, that label has become so diluted, you're often better off finding a small-scale producer who ISN'T certified organic than buying some huge brand-name, pre-washed, bagged salad mix grown on an industrial scale that happens to be called "organic".

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:55 pm

marygrace wrote:A lot of small, local farmers that produce pasture-raised meat and dairy (as well as fruits and vegetables) actually use organic methods, but don't bother going through the expensive certification process. I think the organic method--no pesticides or chemicals, growing or producing food in with respect to nature and the environment--is important for people's health and the planet, but you don't need a USDA certified organic label for that. And nowadays, that label has become so diluted, you're often better off finding a small-scale producer who ISN'T certified organic than buying some huge brand-name, pre-washed, bagged salad mix grown on an industrial scale that happens to be called "organic".
Until this year I did a lot of my shopping at local farmer's markets. Why did I stop? Too expensive. My financial situation has changed drastically and the farmer's markets in my area tend to be more expensive than the most expensive grocery.

I'd prefer to use the pasture-raised meats, dairy and eggs, but I can't afford $5 for a half gallon of milk or $4 for a dozen eggs or nearly $4/pound for a whole chicken.

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm

marygrace wrote:A lot of small, local farmers that produce pasture-raised meat and dairy (as well as fruits and vegetables) actually use organic methods, but don't bother going through the expensive certification process. I think the organic method--no pesticides or chemicals, growing or producing food in with respect to nature and the environment--is important for people's health and the planet, but you don't need a USDA certified organic label for that. And nowadays, that label has become so diluted, you're often better off finding a small-scale producer who ISN'T certified organic than buying some huge brand-name, pre-washed, bagged salad mix grown on an industrial scale that happens to be called "organic".
This is very true! I actually worked selling vegetables for a local farm (it's sort of owned by a group of people, one of whom is my grandmother) and we grow everything organically but lack certification. This allows us to keep our costs lower, which we pass on to the customers. I miss working there, actually. It was nice to see the regulars every week or two, and trade with other vendors. I sometimes wish society hadn't become so commercialized and impersonal .
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

getoka

Post by getoka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 am

Beefsister wrote:Fake food is what makes people fat. What people should be eating is things like long rise sour dough bread, REAL butter, and plenty of it, whole milk, and eggs from healthy, free range chicken, and grass fed meat
I eat all those things, always have done.
I cook everything from scratch with real ingredients.
I am 4 stones overweight (56 lb).

I agree that processed foods are bad for you but any food will make you fat if you eat too much of it.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 pm

getoka wrote:
Beefsister wrote:Fake food is what makes people fat. What people should be eating is things like long rise sour dough bread, REAL butter, and plenty of it, whole milk, and eggs from healthy, free range chicken, and grass fed meat
I eat all those things, always have done.
I cook everything from scratch with real ingredients.
I am 4 stones overweight (56 lb).

I agree that processed foods are bad for you but any food will make you fat if you eat too much of it.
It really is all about portion size, as is evidenced by the recent study by that professor who went on a twinkie diet and lost weight. But many experts theorize that people are often driven to eat larger quantities of processed foods, because they aren't as filling or satisfying as the real thing.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

marygrace wrote: Many experts theorize that
people are often driven to eat larger quantities of processed foods,
because they aren't as filling or satisfying as the real thing.
The operational word here is "THEORIZE". Image
Although each of us may have an OPINION,
based on our own personal experience and observation,
or on Expert hearsay....
I think it's really valuable for each of us to remember
...in order to keep an open mind to the points of view of others....
that the issue is NOT a SURE THING for everyone,
and is STILL primarily an unproven THEORY.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 pm

marygrace wrote:But many experts theorize that people are often driven to eat larger quantities of processed foods, because they aren't as filling or satisfying as the real thing.
I'm finding that to be true. I agree that portion size is important, but I find that when I limit or eliminate processed foods, I'm satisfied with much less and barely need to think about portions.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
marygrace wrote: Many experts theorize that
people are often driven to eat larger quantities of processed foods,
because they aren't as filling or satisfying as the real thing.
The operational word here is "THEORIZE". Image
Although each of us may have an OPINION,
based on our own personal experience and observation,
or on Expert hearsay....
I think it's really valuable for each of us to remember
...in order to keep an open mind to the points of view of others....
that the issue is NOT a SURE THING for everyone,
and is STILL primarily an unproven THEORY.
True, it's definitely just a theory--but still one that's really worth considering, I think. I think if an individual can feel truly feel satisfied eating, say, a 1/2 cup serving of fat-free, sugar-free ice cream, great. But I think a lot of people find an ice cream like that not very satisfying, and will end up eating a lot more in an attempt to find that satisfaction (or, worse, because they think since it doesn't have any "bad" stuff in it, or is lower calories, that they can eat as much as they want). On the other hand, a 1/2 cup serving of premium ice cream made with real cream and eggs and sugar will probably satisfy you--psychologically because your tastebuds are getting what they expect of ice cream, and physically because it's a very rich food. You won't feel the need the eat more and more. So while that single serving of the artificial food might be much lower in calories, people often end up eating more for some reason or another (or may end up eating more of something else later, since they were so "good" eating the low calorie ice cream). Either way, you're likely to end up eating fewer calories if you just stick with that one satisfying serving of the real stuff (either because its filling and satisfying, or because you know its pretty high calorie and won't have a food blowout later because you think you can calorically afford to do so).

At least, I've definitely found this to be true for me =)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:50 pm

marygrace wrote:
True, it's definitely just a theory--but still one that's really worth considering, I think. I think if an individual can feel truly feel satisfied eating, say, a 1/2 cup serving of fat-free, sugar-free ice cream, great. But I think a lot of people find an ice cream like that not very satisfying, and will end up eating a lot more in an attempt to find that satisfaction (or, worse, because they think since it doesn't have any "bad" stuff in it, or is lower calories, that they can eat as much as they want). On the other hand, a 1/2 cup serving of premium ice cream made with real cream and eggs and sugar will probably satisfy you--psychologically because your tastebuds are getting what they expect of ice cream, and physically because it's a very rich food. You won't feel the need the eat more and more. So while that single serving of the artificial food might be much lower in calories, people often end up eating more for some reason or another (or may end up eating more of something else later, since they were so "good" eating the low calorie ice cream). Either way, you're likely to end up eating fewer calories if you just stick with that one satisfying serving of the real stuff (either because its filling and satisfying, or because you know its pretty high calorie and won't have a food blowout later because you think you can calorically afford to do so).

At least, I've definitely found this to be true for me =)
I've found it to be true, too. Since I've eliminated all fat-, calorie- or anything else reduced and other artificial foods, I'm enjoying my food more and eating less of it. And I've also discovered that the "need" for snacks disappeared. My meals satisfy me and unless there's a very long time between meals, I don't feel the need to eat.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 am

I'm in the "It's not *what*, it's *how much*" camp, but at the same time I'm also firmly in the "Whatever works for you" camp.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Years ago I read that our bodies will tolerate and adapt to a lot of abuse, but at some point there will be problems because of that abuse. I think the artificial foods are abusive to our bodies. Further, I think that many of the health issues we see or experience ourselves are due to that abuse -- even, possibly, our problems with weight gain and subsequent attempts at weight loss. But certainly various cancers, diabetes, heart disease and other diseases that are related to diet. I think that the suspected causes (such as cholesterol and heart disease) probably aren't the cause, but it's the artificial foods. I also think that many things that don't seem to have a relationship with diet, such as various infertility problems, allergies, and autism among others, are connected to artificial food and other substances in our environment. Food may be the most dangerous or harmful because we consume it three or more times daily.

I'll be 62 in a couple of months. I don't recall nearly the incidence of asthma, allergies, ear infections or autism when I was growing up. I've been a nurse for nearly 40 years and I don't remember the increased incidence of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer and renal failure (that was my speciality) when I started as there is now. Researchers have looked at and/or blamed consumption of animal products, fat, carbs and just about anything else we consume, but I'm not sure that any has noticed the increase of all these things and possibly others to artificial foods.

I don't think that eliminating artificial foods would eradicate these things, but I think that the incidences would be greatly reduced.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:31 pm

DaveMc wrote:I'm in the "It's not *what*, it's *how much*" camp, but at the same time I'm also firmly in the "Whatever works for you" camp.
LOL, DaveMc! I'm in the "artificial food products are not food, and should be avoided wherever possible" camp, but also VERY firmly in the "Whatever works for you" camp as well. Our positions combine to make a nice Venn Diagram.

To quote BA, "We are all an experiment of one." I have seen people be successful doing things that would be unpleasant or unsustainable for me, and I'm sure that some of the choices I happily make would be equally difficult for others.

But for ME, real food stabilizes my eating and satisfies me, and fake food does exactly the opposite. When too much of my food is highly-processed or junky, I have much more trouble regulating my eating. That's a good thing for me to know. (And this is not to suggest that I eat only whole-grain, free-range, tofurkey or the like... it's just that I am gradually shifting to "better choices than before." I'm on the "Five Degrees of Change" path with that.)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

I can't see artificial food as entirely a bad thing. I keep kosher, though I did not grow up doing so. There are foods I miss that combine meat and dairy. Real meat and real dairy together are a no-no under the kosher rules, but fake meat and real dairy or real meat and fake dairy are OK (as, I suppose, would be fake meat and fake dairy, but I don't really see the point of taking it that far). And I loves me some oven-fried chicken or fish, which arguably is a fake food.

I also drink Diet Coke, and lots of it. I need the caffeine. I've been drinking only Diet Coke since probably about 1995. I think it's unlikely that it would make me crave regular Coke at this point. And you don't want to be on the same planet as me when I haven't had my caffeine, you really don't.

The only fake food I do really try to avoid is trans fat, because we know that's bad for you. But if avoiding trans fat means I have to give up some dish I love, then I'm going to eat the trans fat. I might do that dish less often, but I'm not going to give up something I really like over trans fat.